Serious times call for serious leadership

Stan

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me with a straight face that they are confident that Beth Goetz can lead the athletic department right now? And fix the issues with basketball? And deal with the issues with hockey? Let me preface this that this has NOTHING to do with her being a woman. I'd love to find an experienced AD who is a woman. But our basketball program is in crisis. 1 player kicked off the team, 3 suspended for the rest of the season the day after the coach said they'd play. Meanwhile, attendance at games is awful, the team sucks and we have a coach that appears to be in over his head. Are you confident that Beth can make the right decision on Pitino's future (be it this year or next), make the right hire to turn this around and get the fans engaged again? She has no history of hiring or firing major sport coaches (Claeys not withstanding and his circumstances were not normal). I want an AD (man or woman) that has a proven track record in turning around major programs, getting fans engaged.

Off the top of your head, name all the ADs you'd be confident in. The truth is that most ADs become famous by being bad. Thinking of guys like Pat Haden and Dave Brandon and Tim Curley.

I have no idea if Goetz can do it, but whoever is hired will be a major question mark simply because you don't see successful ADs move from one P5 program to others very often.

Can anyone tell me with a straight face that they are confident that Beth Goetz can lead the athletic department right now? And fix the issues with basketball? And deal with the issues with hockey? Let me preface this that this has NOTHING to do with her being a woman. I'd love to find an experienced AD who is a woman. But our basketball program is in crisis. 1 player kicked off the team, 3 suspended for the rest of the season the day after the coach said they'd play. Meanwhile, attendance at games is awful, the team sucks and we have a coach that appears to be in over his head. Are you confident that Beth can make the right decision on Pitino's future (be it this year or next), make the right hire to turn this around and get the fans engaged again? She has no history of hiring or firing major sport coaches (Claeys not withstanding and his circumstances were not normal). I want an AD (man or woman) that has a proven track record in turning around major programs, getting fans engaged.

Who might that be? I think the challenge of getting a top flight, proven, AD just got much harder. I'm closer to being all in for an alumni cheerleader as an AD now. At least it would be a mission for him/her and not another professional stop. It would also reduce the uncomfortable dance of getting to know an outsider if we get a U person, male or female.

Just the cherry on top of nightmare season. Whatever Pitino decided on this issue he was gonna be criticized. Guessing if we were going to NCAA tourney they'd be playing but who knows. Let's just end this thing and move on to next year. Sucks most for Joey as what little chance we had to win a few games in B1G tourney is all but gone.

I have more confidence in Goetz after hearing the 3 guys are now suspended for the rest of the season. It seems like someone put their foot down and told Richard this type of culture around the program cannot be tolerated. If the head coach were doing his job properly, the players would know enough to not do anything remotely this stupid. Either the AD or President stepped in. My guess this is an opportunity for the interim AD to demonstrate ability to lead

People seem to be assuming this was solely Pitino's decision. I'm guessing Goetz had a heavy hand and most likely had the final decision.

I posted somewhere else that I was hoping a suspension for the remainder of the season would be the worst case scenario. I'm staying with that. It actually sounds worse than it is. Team wasn't going anywhere this year anyway.

A good teaching moment, and looks like the U took this very seriously.

My guess is at least two return next year. Better chance that Dorsey may be gone because of prior events.

Just my guesses.

People seem to be assuming this was solely Pitino's decision. I'm guessing Goetz had a heavy hand and most likely had the final decision.

I posted somewhere else that I was hoping a suspension for the remainder of the season would be the worst case scenario. I'm staying with that. It actually sounds worse than it is. Team wasn't going anywhere this year anyway.

A good teaching moment, and looks like the U took this very seriously.

My guess is at least two return next year. Better chance that Dorsey may be gone because of prior events.

Just my guesses.

if this is the end result i could absolutely live with it.. especially if Mason and McBrayer mature and become better people because of this

Fortunately for the U stan does not have a place at the table where the decision is being made.
Despite escaping the severe criticism that the President should have received for his last choice of an AD rest assured that he knows his job security rests on making a very good choice this time.
stan has no skin in the game.

I have more confidence in Goetz after hearing the 3 guys are now suspended for the rest of the season. It seems like someone put their foot down and told Richard this type of culture around the program cannot be tolerated. If the head coach were doing his job properly, the players would know enough to not do anything remotely this stupid. Either the AD or President stepped in. My guess this is an opportunity for the interim AD to demonstrate ability to lead

Let's also not assume that Coach Pitino was not in full agreement with this decision.

Too many people making too many assumptions.

I sure hope that Murphy stays with all this stuff going on. The program can't really afford any transfers and if all the kids stay, that will send a strong message. Not counting the three who let the team down. They can move on as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if many of the folks on this forum have kids, never been surprised with their choices. It probably took some time to evaluate all the options for Pitino to make the right decision. I am sure he had to consider more than what the AD would think. He has shown to do the right thing. He is a bright man, he will learn from this. He also is proving to have talent as a coach. Don't think about him leaving know. We are paying the price for his education. Get behind him. He is the best chance at having a good long term coach in my lifetime, and I am old. His teams are more fun to watch than any we have had since Clem. Even when they lose, and that won't be for long.

Despite escaping the severe criticism that the President should have received for his last choice of an AD rest assured that he knows his job security rests on making a very good choice this time.

So it's Kaler's fault that Teague was drunkenly harassing women with no documented evidence of a history in either?

And LOL at the second part. University Presidents don't have their job security riding on the quality of their AD hires.

So it's Kaler's fault that Teague was drunkenly harassing women with no documented evidence of a history in either?

And LOL at the second part. University Presidents don't have their job security riding on the quality of their AD hires.
I think the responsibility for Teague rests on those who were responsible for doing the due diligence on him. A cursory glance, a Google search or simply asking his supporters does not give the full picture of the candidate hired.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A cursory glance, a Google search or simply asking his supporters does not give the full picture of the candidate hired.

That's not what search firms do. But you know better.

That's not what search firms do. But you know better.
Well, it seems like that was what the search firm did with Teague because as soon as he was hired the whispers started and were summarily ignored.

I wonder if many of the folks on this forum have kids, never been surprised with their choices. It probably took some time to evaluate all the options for Pitino to make the right decision. I am sure he had to consider more than what the AD would think. He has shown to do the right thing. He is a bright man, he will learn from this. He also is proving to have talent as a coach. Don't think about him leaving know. We are paying the price for his education. Get behind him. He is the best chance at having a good long term coach in my lifetime, and I am old. His teams are more fun to watch than any we have had since Clem. Even when they lose, and that won't be for long.
Why are you giving Richard the benefit of the doubt? Please don't forget he was an assistant at Louisville when their off court "fun" was going on also.

Let's also not assume that Coach Pitino was not in full agreement with this decision.

Too many people making too many assumptions.
My assumption was based on Richard stating as recent as yesterday that the 3 players would be back Wednesday. Something caused his revelation that it was not a good idea

I think the responsibility for Teague rests on those who were responsible for doing the due diligence on him. A cursory glance, a Google search or simply asking his supporters does not give the full picture of the candidate hired.

Yeah, that's not what happened. Did you read the external review report? Wait, why am I even asking - of course you didn't.

Yeah, that's not what happened. Did you read the external review report? Wait, why am I even asking - of course you didn't.
Do I even have access to the report? No, of course I don't. I only have access to the interpretations of those who have read it.

The Sports cabal likes to keep its reports out of the hands of the general public.

Do I even have access to the report? No, of course I don't. I only have access to the interpretations of those who have read it.

The Sports cabal likes to keep its reports out of the hands of the general public.

Complete and utter nonsense. Like most University documents, it is freely accessible to the general public. Here it is, in its entirety:

https://netfiles.umn.edu/regents/bor_-_dec_2015_-_special_meeting.compressed.pdf

I suggest that you read all 743 pages, and perhaps you will then stop spewing uninformed garbage.

Complete and utter nonsense. Like most University documents, it is freely accessible to the general public. Here it is, in its entirety:

https://netfiles.umn.edu/regents/bor_-_dec_2015_-_special_meeting.compressed.pdf

I suggest that you read all 743 pages, and perhaps you will then stop spewing uninformed garbage.

Are you talking about the part of the document where it explains that, when hiring for this crucial position, those involved in the hiring process did not know who was responsible for vetting the candidate?

Are you talking about the part of the document where it explains that, when hiring for this crucial position, those involved in the hiring process did not know who was responsible for vetting the candidate?
BOOM!

Just curious...would Kill be a potential candidate?

dpod,
The AD reports to the President.
The President makes the final decision about the hire.
It was a wrong decision.
Should the President who is responsible be able to dissemble and fault a search team that he hired?

I support Beth 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom