September 20, 1970 PP Sunday Magazine: Grass Made Just for Gophers

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
Fun to read. That's Bart Buetow on the cover.

Sept_20_1970_Gopher_Grass_Page_1.jpgSept_20_1970_Gopher_Grass_Page_2.jpgSept_20_1970_Gopher_Grass_Page_3.jpgSept_20_1970_Gopher_Grass_Page_4.jpg

Best quality I could do for for the upload...

That crap must have been like concrete. How many blown out knees and third degree carpet burns were the result of that stuff?

I was on that field a couple of times as a little kid, just running around. Even at that age I was surprised at how hard it was and that it felt like playing in a parking lot.

Wasn't it called Tartan Turf, or something like that?

Had no idea that they play on artificial turf in Memorial..

I was on that field a couple of times as a little kid, just running around. Even at that age I was surprised at how hard it was and that it felt like playing in a parking lot.

Wasn't it called Tartan Turf, or something like that?

Indeed it was Tartan Turf, a 3M product. They tore it out in about '77. The spring it was switched back to grass the Gophers could not use Memorial Stadium and traveled around the state and held several practices in St Cloud and Rochester - and maybe more places. I saw the scrimmage that was held at John Marshall's stadium in Rochester. I think that Sam Brady had some nice runs and a guy from Preston, MN, Bob House, made some nice plays from his DT position. My HS teammate Dave Gardiner introduced me to Mark Carlson after the practice. I'm embarrassed by the things that I can remember about Gopher games, etc., I have no life...

Top Bottom