Seniors

calminnfan

Reaction score
Someone mentioned in another thread concerning recruiting concerning the amount of Gophers seniors this coming year.

The thought crossed my mind concerning them that if they want to leave their mark on the U record books, this is the year for them, and since a pretty good percentage of them are starters or important players, they can/will have a significant impact on the success of this season.

I know this sounds pretty DUH, but I was thinking of motivation in order to exceed expectations, especially with so many of them being starters.

All that to say I think 9-3 is a reasonable expectation for the team this year!

It's a reasonable hope calmin. And i want to see that happen. But the schedule doesn't lend well to a 9-3. If we had last years schedule we'd have a great shot at it. And really there are only two ultra tough games. So it could happen. There are also a whole lot of games we'll be slight under dogs in. If you drew it up we'd be hard pressed to defend suggesting better than 6-6 as a likely outcome.

It's a reasonable hope calmin. And i want to see that happen. But the schedule doesn't lend well to a 9-3. If we had last years schedule we'd have a great shot at it. And really there are only two ultra tough games. So it could happen. There are also a whole lot of games we'll be slight under dogs in. If you drew it up we'd be hard pressed to defend suggesting better than 6-6 as a likely outcome.

To borrow a phrase from Woody Paige...."Look at the schedules!"

As Schnoodler stated, the schedule is much tougher next year, so while I think we'll be better, we may not have much to show for it when it comes to wins and losses. Looking around the Big Ten, the team that should benefit the most from the schedule rotation? Wisconsin. An easy non-conference, and after coming to TCF for our first Big Ten home game and then going to Columbus the following Saturday, they settle into home games with Iowa and Purdue, a trip to Indiana, back home against Michigan, and at Northwestern. They're my pick for the team whose record outperforms their talent level. Illinois will also benefit from having two of their four conference road games be Indiana and Purdue.

Let us set expectations even lower if we can. With this schedule we will be doing great if we win as many as four games. Yes, the team will be better what with all the great recruits showing up, but the schedule is so hard that this will have to be another excellent season if we win four games. Anything above four wins would be unbelievable.

Sat, Sep 05 Syracuse at Syracuse, N.Y. Win

Sat, Sep 12 Air Force TCF Bank Stadium Win

Sat, Sep 19 California TCF Bank Stadium Upset Win

Sat, Sep 26 Northwestern at Evanston, Ill. Revenge Win

Sat, Oct 03 Wisconsin TCF Bank Stadium Revenge Win #2

Sat, Oct 10 Purdue TCF Bank Stadium Win

Sat, Oct 17 Penn State at University Park, Pa. Loss

Sat, Oct 24 Ohio State at Columbus, Ohio Loss

Sat, Oct 31 Michigan State TCF Bank Stadium Win

Sat, Nov 07 Illinois TCF Bank Stadium Win

Sat, Nov 14 South Dakota State TCF Bank Stadium Win

Sat, Nov 21 Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa Loss

OKAY - 9-3 with the Gophers undefeated at home!

Let us set expectations even lower if we can. With this schedule we will be doing great if we win as many as four games. Yes, the team will be better what with all the great recruits showing up, but the schedule is so hard that this will have to be another excellent season if we win four games. Anything above four wins would be unbelievable.

I know there have been previous threads on predicting next year's record, but I'd be REALLY surprised if we only won four games. We should clearly defeat Syracuse, Purdue, and SDSU. The only lead-pipe lock losses I see are at OSU and at PSU. The other seven games (AF, Cal, @NW, Wis, MSU, Ill, @IA) we should have decent chances to win. If we go 3-4 against the toss-ups, that's still a 6-6 record. Lower than that would be a disappointment.

I will go ahead PREDICT that you will be a douche bag no matter what the record is. Cause that is just who you are!! Some one who has a vendetta against the current Administration and coach,and that is as big a hyprocrite as there in regards to your hero Mason. No matter the schedule or results. Keep it up cause you are fantastic - :mad:

It's too bad we don't have four years of top recruits to draw off.

Here's my strength of team as per rivals on a four year basis.

1. OSU
2. Michigan
3. Penn State
4. Iliinois
5. Wisconsin
6. Michigan State (an anomoly in the numbers, you could bump them to 4th with little argument)
7. Minnesota (tie)
7. Iowa (tie)
9. Purdue
10. Northwestern
11. Indiana

So there is the base line to work from. Michigan is an unknown as they sucked so much this year. Expectations need to be based off of some baseline. It can be past performance, it can be talent level of the program. Much better than off some fiction based "should be" .

So what we have is the 7/8th best talent in the big ten. We have a 7-6 previous record. And we have a tougher schedule. That is the reality to work from.

Can't see next years OL according to last years production.
With a more experienced and talented OL, not to mention better coached, the Gophers RBs will be more effective and with Hayo, a more experienced Green and Broderick Smith to go with a healthy Decker and Kuznia, Eric Lair starting to step it up at TE to go with Tow-arnott, the pass attack should be just fine.

The only area I am concerned with is the pass rush. Someone needs to step it up to replace WVDS!

Finally with the 20+ seniors, some of which were JUCOs that definitely had the swagger in their walks and are hungry to prove they are all that. I do expect Brock back as well, it should prove to be a very productive year.

It could happen.

NW finished with a better record than us and we are on the road.
Cal will be picked over us, and maybe even AF.
Michigan State and Illinois will both come in with better teams, we'll depend on Home Field advantage. Iowa isnt' as strong next year as this, but we are in Iowa. So while I like the juice you're drinkin, and definitely see it as possible. There are 6 games there that are pretty tough. In my mind we're 4-2 with six maybe's where we could actually be the underdog in all.

I think we're lucky to come out the same.

Where is the over / under that our line dominates the trenches :p.

Previously I had suggested Syracuse, Purdue, and SDSU were definite W's while OSU and PSU were definite L's. As far as the toss-ups are concerned:
-- I think we beat MSU or Illinois but not both.
-- I think we beat Becky or Iowa but not both.
-- I think we beat Air Force and Northwestern, but lose to Cal.

Prediction: 7-5. And we clobber someone in a bowl game.

Given the schedule, 8-5 would be a NICE season. Pass the Kool-Aid.

I don't think PSU is a lock that we will lose.

No game is a lock either way. My basic premise is that the team will be better and hungrier then given credit for since many are using last year play as the basis for next year prediction and should not in the following areas.

1. OL - Better coaching and players to go along with seasoning of last years line.
2. WR - Decker healthy, Green more experienced and Hayo to go along with a solid support cast.
3. RBs - healthy and running behind a much improved OL
4. Weber - a year older/wiser with a much improved OL.
5. Defense will be more mature.
6. Due to changes in Offensive schemes, teams will not be as confident preparing for the Gophers. Spread was old news and not that much a challenge to decent defenses, especially with Decker and Weber struggling to stay healthy!

Previously I had suggested Syracuse, Purdue, and SDSU were definite W's while OSU and PSU were definite L's. As far as the toss-ups are concerned:
-- I think we beat MSU or Illinois but not both.
-- I think we beat Becky or Iowa but not both.
-- I think we beat Air Force and Northwestern, but lose to Cal.

Prediction: 7-5. And we clobber someone in a bowl game.

Given the schedule, 8-5 would be a NICE season. Pass the Kool-Aid.

Miles: I pretty much agree. I'm a little more concerned about that AF game than a lot of people are on this page. I also think that we have a chance at Penn State.

I actually agree with this with one exception. I think we lose to Michigan State at home. I think D'Antonio is doing unbelievable things with the Spitters. So, my best guess before spring ball is 8-4.

I would be all right with 8-4, though I believe the Gophers will actually show they are getting it together and be clicking, especially on offense. Like I said, I am a little concerned about the pass rush and that will affect the pass defense, but I also believe Brock will be coming back. He has every reason to come back, especially if he has any thoughts of going pro.

Top Bottom