seeking Gopher historical education

killme

Reaction score
Please forgive me for being late to the party, but I'm learning as fast as I can. It's a bit of a slow process, since the information I need is scattered all over.

1. I know the last B1G title was 46 years ago, but how many times as Minnesota really contended in those years?
2. Kill's contract runs through 2018, five more full seasons. What's the best 5-year record in the last 46 years?

I'm predicting if Coach Kill remains here through that contract that the Gophers will be contenders and that his record in 2014-18 will be the best in the last 46 years.

Please forgive me for being late to the party, but I'm learning as fast as I can. It's a bit of a slow process, since the information I need is scattered all over.

1. I know the last B1G title was 46 years ago, but how many times as Minnesota really contended in those years?
2. Kill's contract runs through 2018, five more full seasons. What's the best 5-year record in the last 46 years?

I'm predicting if Coach Kill remains here through that contract that the Gophers will be contenders and that his record in 2014-18 will be the best in the last 46 years.

Here you go:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/minn-m-footbl-media-guides.html

1. Arguably once. Depends what your definition of "contended" is.
2. No, only four more full seasons (and the remainder of this year). His contract brings him past the 2017 season.

Of course I don't think Kill will be here that long, but if he was I'd say your prediction is not going to be accurate (if you're saying Kill's record for the last four years of his current contract i.e., 2014-17 seasons, will be better than any other four year stretch). I believe Mason went 32-18 over a four year span and Kill wouldn't be near that in anyone's wildest dreams. I think going even .500 over those four years might be an aggressive prediction.

2. No, only four more full seasons (and the remainder of this year). His contract brings him past the 2017 season.

Of course I don't think Kill will be here that long, but if he was I'd say your prediction is not going to be accurate (if you're saying Kill's record for the last four years of his current contract i.e., 2014-17 seasons, will be better than any other four year stretch). I believe Mason went 32-18 over a four year span and Kill wouldn't be near that in anyone's wildest dreams. I think going even .500 over those four years might be an aggressive prediction.

But you're praying for him, right?

But you're praying for him, right?

He is praying for sick, starving, and abused children all over the world. Kill doesn't need or want his prayers. He can take care of himself.

By "contend" I mean having a reasonable chance to win a division title going into the last 2 games.

And, if the bar is set at 32-18 I'd take that bet for a beverage of your choice. Seriously? A .640 winning percentage is the best in 46 years? Wow. I just looked up Kill's career record (.641) which I think is remarkable since he's 21-36 (.370) in the first year of his 5 stops. I'm confident because of the way his rebuilding process works (brick by brick) and once it's established, it's sustainable.

Let's see if he can win at least 3 conference games first. Something his predecessor did twice in his first three seasons.

And, if the bar is set at 32-18 I'd take that bet for a beverage of your choice. Seriously? A .640 winning percentage is the best in 46 years? Wow. I just looked up Kill's career record (.641) which I think is remarkable since he's 21-36 (.370) in the first year of his 5 stops. I'm confident because of the way his rebuilding process works (brick by brick) and once it's established, it's sustainable.

He's never coached at a big school before Minnesota and hasn't ever won an FBS bowl game. But, if you're confident I'm good with that bet. I assume I also win the bet if he doesn't stick around for another 4 seasons after this one?

I'll also make a $50 donation to the charity of your choice should your prediction come true.

He's never coached at a big school before Minnesota and hasn't ever won an FBS bowl game. But, if you're confident I'm good with that bet. I assume I also win the bet if he doesn't stick around for another 4 seasons after this one?

I'll also make a $50 donation to the charity of your choice should your prediction come true.

I almost included a "if he beats epilepsy" statement, but just didn't want to even go there. Maybe I'd prefer to keep my blinders on, cross my fingers, pray, wish, hope...etc. that they get it under better control so he can finish out that contract. So, your assumption was not correct. If he doesn't stay through 2017 for whatever the reason, we both go thirsty. lol

killme-- pick the epilepsy foundation of MN. that will killgw.

Don't you have a lame blog post to write?

Things got off to a good start but as of late, 50 years give or take, have been pretty tough times. Hope that helps.

So what's the answer?

Mason from '99 through '03 probably the best five years. His '99 and '03 teams came within one win of tying for the conference title and going Rose Bowling. Can't think of any other years where we were seriously in contention for the B10 title. We had not a single All-American (from any choosing body) from 1971 to 1997. Then Mason had eight.

Cal Stoll was 6-2 in 1973 finishing 1.5 games behind Ohio State and Michigan, who tied for the conference title at 7-0-1. However, both Ohio State and Michigan blew out the Gophers that season. Ohio State, Michigan, and Minnesota were the only Big 10 teams with a winning conference record that year.

2003 and 1999 were eerily similar as far as the Gophers almost making the Rose Bowl.

- both seasons the conference champ went 7-1 (Wisconsin in '99, Michigan in '03)
- both seasons we went 5-3
- both seasons we lost gut wrenching games to the conference champ at home. (20-17 OT loss to Wisconsin in '99, and then Michigan in '03)

So in either of those seasons had we won those close games, we would have finished in a 4-way tie at 6-2 had the rest of the schedule played out the same, and I believe either would have put us in the Rose Bowl (except in '03 had we had it in '99)

2003 and 1999 were eerily similar as far as the Gophers almost making the Rose Bowl.

- both seasons the conference champ went 7-1 (Wisconsin in '99, Michigan in '03)
- both seasons we went 5-3
- both seasons we lost gut wrenching games to the conference champ at home. (20-17 OT loss to Wisconsin in '99, and then Michigan in '03)

So in either of those seasons had we won those close games, we would have finished in a 4-way tie at 6-2 had the rest of the schedule played out the same, and I believe either would have put us in the Rose Bowl (except in '03 had we had it in '99)

Very true.

In 1990 the Gophers went 5-3 in the conference and were one game out of first. That year there was a four way tie for first at 6-2.

In 1990 the Gophers went 5-3 in the conference and were one game out of first. That year there was a four way tie for first at 6-2.

Thanks, noticed that when I took a look too. Thinking that everyone's right, that's it 4 for 47. That's really horrible. Thought killme might do the research he said he was interested in but no matter.

Only 14 winning seasons out of 47. 13 out of the last 40. 6 out of the last 15, all but one of them never felt like "great." That's because the seasons ended badly losing 2 or more of the last four games and/or the Floyd/AXE and Bowl games.

Even the one "great" season, 2003, had them losing Floyd in the last regular season game, but it felt like a great year anyway. That's because they won the Sun Bowl, 4 of the last 5 and took the Axe back from the Sconies. Then Mason, who famously begged for the Ohio State job two years before when asked about whether he was still looking to go somewhere else responded with his infamous "if the phone rings, I'm gonna answer it". :banghead:

All the "Jerry's got to GO", and the I KNOW that Jerry's going to turn this thing around", people have one thing in common. They're based on solid premises.

- No Coach was put a Big Ten trophy on the shelves since 1967 and only four times since then has anybody even had a sniff at one.
- Jerry Kill has turned things around everywhere he's gone.

Which one of those is stronger? We have no idea yet.

I would liked to have seen a couple more seasons under Holtz. I don't know if we would have contended, but for all of his foibles, Lou can coach.

My on-going concern with Kill on the field (the health stuff will be one way or the other) is how well he'll recruit.

Top Bottom