Secondary Depth

EG#9

Reaction score
So a couple months ago I made a post noting what looked like to be very impressive depth in the Gopher secondary for 2009. At that time, we had a Daryl Robinson committ, Taikwon Paige looked very likely to be a Gopher, and we had a good to great shot at landing Michael Carter and Anthony Leon (who might have played the cover/rush LB role that Lawrence plays).

Am I a Jinx or what?

Since that time Daryl Robinson de-committed, Michael Carter chose West Virginia, Anthony Leon chose Oregon then chose Arkansas due to grade issues, Taikwon Paige committed to the Gophers then (reportedly) couldn't meet the academic requirements. Finally, Tremaine Brock who, in my opinion, was one of our 3 best returning defensive players is not enrolled at the U due to academic problems.

We still can put together a better secondary that we've had most years at Minnesota, but the depth and talent is not close to what it looked like it would be a couple months ago. Obviously we could land Mike Edwards if he can get in to school and Brock could come back, but I am not holding my breath on either.

CB Sherels
CB Simmons
SS Theret
FS Royston
NB Dandridge? Collado? Lewis? Johnson?

I sure hope Brock comes back or Brewster has another JUCO CB that he likes.

How many spots do we have open for recruits now? Could we offer Battle too?

Brock will probably be back! It may very well have been something other then grades.

That said, the depth is not as bad as it appears, though I would not mind another commit, such as Edwards!

Smoking ruins of a secondary?

How many spots do we have open for recruits now? Could we offer Battle too?

We have 18 right now, and need to use two more to bring Gray, Reeves and Maresh, counting one to last year. With the oversign rule that should leave five. Not that this matters much considering the horrible turn Gopher Nation and its recruiting prospects took since the holidays.

I leave Gold Country news alone for a few weeks for vacations and family and the wheels just about fell off this shit cart! Both coordinators lost, a couple decommits follow, and no positive moves in the class of 09!

Further Hayo Carpenter is missing spring ball and Brock might never be heard from again. Kim Royston was formerly buried on the 'Sconnie bench so I don't understand the high hope surrounding him, and Allen looks like a better WR prospect. This leaves two 3 star (rivals) prospects coming in, in what I had hoped would be a far richer haul of talented defensive backs.

Our secondary is looking pretty awful in its outlook for this year considering its last four outings, and seeing very few pluses on the radar. Without a seriously great start by the new defensive coordinator and a great spring ball this could be a return to the abyss. 09 had such hope for me a month ago, but now... yikes! Looking at the schedule in regards to our defensive backfield depth it is at best a crapshoot. Syracuse is no powerhouse, but with a new coach who knows? California has the parts to bombard us, and with Michigan State and Penn State coming back into rotation we could see shellings like Gold Country hasn't seen since Wacker and the eras of annual 60+ point shellackings. The schedule has gotten a serious upgrade and now we need to step up to match, especially our allegedly strong recruiting coach.

Royston

FYI

Royston was not burried deep on the WI bench. He played nickle and was slated as the starter at safety by both his DB coach and the defensive coordinator but was overruled by BB...thus the transfer. If both your position coach and the defensive coordinator think you should be starting and your not, I would transfer too.

Not that it automatically makes you a better football player but he also looks like a Greek God after spending a year with strength coach Mark Hill. I expect him to really help us this year.

We have 18 right now, and need to use two more to bring Gray, Reeves and Maresh, counting one to last year. With the oversign rule that should leave five. Not that this matters much considering the horrible turn Gopher Nation and its recruiting prospects took since the holidays.

I leave Gold Country news alone for a few weeks for vacations and family and the wheels just about fell off this shit cart! Both coordinators lost, a couple decommits follow, and no positive moves in the class of 09!

Further Hayo Carpenter is missing spring ball and Brock might never be heard from again. Kim Royston was formerly buried on the 'Sconnie bench so I don't understand the high hope surrounding him, and Allen looks like a better WR prospect. This leaves two 3 star (rivals) prospects coming in, in what I had hoped would be a far richer haul of talented defensive backs.

Our secondary is looking pretty awful in its outlook for this year considering its last four outings, and seeing very few pluses on the radar. Without a seriously great start by the new defensive coordinator and a great spring ball this could be a return to the abyss. 09 had such hope for me a month ago, but now... yikes! Looking at the schedule in regards to our defensive backfield depth it is at best a crapshoot. Syracuse is no powerhouse, but with a new coach who knows? California has the parts to bombard us, and with Michigan State and Penn State coming back into rotation we could see shellings like Gold Country hasn't seen since Wacker and the eras of annual 60+ point shellackings. The schedule has gotten a serious upgrade and now we need to step up to match, especially our allegedly strong recruiting coach.

Thank god we don't have to play any games! Our fate is predetermined! I should cross post this on the tailgating thread so that everyone know's not to worry...all is lost already and there is no need to worry about tailgating.

I have my concerns too but wow...you are a regular Bill Shakespeare! :p

I do not think it is that bleak, even if Brock does not come back. Your list did not mention Kenny Watkins. I think he will be a good addition and seems like a play maker.

Also, isn't Bryant Allen slotted to play CB? He is tall and athletic and should help. I think we have some good play makers and tacklers in our secondary.

How about Troy Stoudermire? Isn't he a CB?

FYI

Royston was not burried deep on the WI bench. He played nickle and was slated as the starter at safety by both his DB coach and the defensive coordinator but was overruled by BB...thus the transfer. If both your position coach and the defensive coordinator think you should be starting and your not, I would transfer too.

Not that it automatically makes you a better football player but he also looks like a Greek God after spending a year with strength coach Mark Hill. I expect him to really help us this year.

I couldn't have said it any better

I do not think it is that bleak, even if Brock does not come back. Your list did not mention Kenny Watkins. I think he will be a good addition and seems like a play maker.

Also, isn't Bryant Allen slotted to play CB? He is tall and athletic and should help. I think we have some good play makers and tacklers in our secondary.

Allen is a WR and he will be a difference maker there. Think Troy Stoudermire with an extra 2 inches, more quickness, more speed, and more agility. Just go to YouTube and watch his video.

How about Troy Stoudermire? Isn't he a CB?

He was moved to WR this season. However, with the addition of Carpenter, Allen, and Keise at WR I wouldn't be surprised to see Stoudermire moved back to CB. Allen is a guy that can do a lot of the same things as Stoudemire but as I mentioned above, he is taller, quicker, faster, and more agile.

Top Bottom