Second half starting lineup: 4 freshmen and 1 sophomore!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
King was huge, but the future is now. I was so proud that the young guys didn't buckle down the stretch. We had some miserable possessions where we jacked 35 foot 3s like three or four times in a row, but we kept our composure, got some HUGE steals and deflections on the perimeter and closed it out.

The players are developing before our eyes, regardless of this win. Getting the win just adds to the euphoria, but the development by all four freshmen and Mason is clear!!

Let's hope we can take care of Rutgers and give ourselves a little winning streak.

Go Youth Movement!!

We have had some more experienced teams who had a lot more trouble with a full court press. Maryland threw a lot at them in the closing minutes but they didn't fall apart.

We have had some more experienced teams who had a lot more trouble with a full court press. Maryland threw a lot at them in the closing minutes but they didn't fall apart.

They broke that press very well! I can only recall the one turnover when Mason had it knocked out, only to have McBrayer get it back seconds later. Incredible job getting the ball up the court by the young guys! That said, I would have liked to see them attack the rim a bit more after breaking that press, instead of taking it back out, as this team is better in transition than half-court offense.

They broke that press very well! I can only recall the one turnover when Mason had it knocked out, only to have McBrayer get it back seconds later. Incredible job getting the ball up the court by the young guys! That said, I would have liked to see them attack the rim a bit more after breaking that press, instead of taking it back out, as this team is better in transition than half-court offense.
I agree, but Maryland has some great rim protectors and we simply aren't big enough to compete with that. A couple guys tried with very little success to push it to the rim. I would have liked to see Pitino put Murphy back in there even with the 3 fouls with about 12 minutes to go to help give the guards an option for an alley oop or a dump pass for a dunk/foul at the rim. Everyone else was just getting swatted and no one wants to pass the ball to BK in those situations.

I agree, but Maryland has some great rim protectors and we simply aren't big enough to compete with that. A couple guys tried with very little success to push it to the rim. I would have liked to see Pitino put Murphy back in there even with the 3 fouls with about 12 minutes to go to help give the guards an option for an alley oop or a dump pass for a dunk/foul at the rim. Everyone else was just getting swatted and no one wants to pass the ball to BK in those situations.

In Pitino's defense, when BK couldn't finish a bunny on the break Murphy replaced him immediately. So you both were on the same page. Winning is fun by the way!

In Pitino's defense, when BK couldn't finish a bunny on the break Murphy replaced him immediately. So you both were on the same page. Winning is fun by the way!

If our freshman don't transfer, this is going to be a very good team. You can already see the potential these guys have, and adding the '16 recruits and transfers will immediately make us a competitive Big 10 squad again. And that will only be their sophomore year.

If our freshman don't transfer, this is going to be a very good team. You can already see the potential these guys have, and adding the '16 recruits and transfers will immediately make us a competitive Big 10 squad again. And that will only be their sophomore year.

I have seen no sign that any of the current frosh will transfer- I have to believe they see what you do about the future and they all have a big role in it. These guys have been competing hard. If you look back on the Big Ten schedule, as ugly as it has been, they have really only played three bad games- NW twice (what's with that?) and Nebraska. Ohio State they lost by 15 but were up two at the half. All other games were under 10 point spreads. That's a sign of a bunch of guys that are not quitters.

Murphy and McBrayer have really played well and relatively consistent for Freshmen. Dorsey is a bit wild, but causes lots of chaos. The extra bonus surprise has been Gilbert. I didn't expect much from him - but his energy, nose for the ball, solid D and fairly smooth shot has been a very pleasant surprise. He did a nice job on Layman when he guarded him last night.

I have seen no sign that any of the current frosh will transfer- I have to believe they see what you do about the future and they all have a big role in it. These guys have been competing hard. If you look back on the Big Ten schedule, as ugly as it has been, they have really only played three bad games- NW twice (what's with that?) and Nebraska. Ohio State they lost by 15 but were up two at the half. All other games were under 10 point spreads. That's a sign of a bunch of guys that are not quitters.

Very true.

I just finished listening to Fitzgerald Sr. on Almanac. Won't give Pitino any credit. "sometimes the shots fall, sometimes they don't. Can't keep your job with a 1-13 record."

Says Tubby's team will make the dance....."makes you wonder why they fired him".

What a ****ING ASS.

Very true.

I just finished listening to Fitzgerald Sr. on Almanac. Won't give Pitino any credit. "sometimes the shots fall, sometimes they don't. Can't keep your job with a 1-13 record."

Says Tubby's team will make the dance....."makes you wonder why they fired him".

What a ****ING ASS.

Probably just a race thing. He's a homer.

Top Bottom