SEC Threatens Creation of "Division 5"

Iceland12

Reaction score
It would allow any school to sign thousands to a letter of intent. ;)

DESTIN, Fla. (AP) — The Southeastern Conference sent a strong message to the NCAA on Friday: provide the Big Five some autonomy or they'll form their own division.SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said if the Big Five conferences — which also include the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big 12, the Big Ten and the Pac-12 — don't get the flexibility needed to create their own bylaws, the next step would be to move to "Division IV."
"It's not something we want to do," Slive said on the final day of the SEC meetings. "We want to the ability to have autonomy in areas that has a nexus to the well-being of student athletes. I am somewhat optimistic it will pass, but if it doesn't, our league would certainly want to move to a Division IV. My colleagues, I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd be surprised if they didn't feel the same way."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25867063/sec-ponders-potential-move-division-iv

"Florida President Bernie Machen wasn't nearly as confident about staying in Division I."We're in a squeeze here," Machen said. "There are now six lawsuits that name our conference in them that specifically have to do with the whole cost of attendance and stuff like that. We would like to make changes, but we can't because the NCAA doesn't allow us to. We're really caught between a rock and a hard place. We desperately would like some flexibility."
Southern Mississippi athletic director Bill McGillis believes the major conferences will get that flexibility and that a Division IV won't be needed.
He said more autonomy for the high-resource leagues is just "the reality of the situation" and that schools like Southern Miss in Conference USA agree with many of the proposed changes. McGillis expects schools from all Division I conferences will have a say in the process, and will adjust to whatever's decided.
"I think the system will work and that the schools outside the high-resource five conferences that are committed to competing at a high level will still be able to do that," McGillis said.

I'm going to do my best dpodoll and say "how could you miss the I in front of the V, there are only two numerals". You're welcome.

Ironically by proposing the extra compensation for revenue athletes they strengthen the union's position that they are "employees". That wouldn seem to create an even more precarious position. Better to go the other route and mandate decreased practice time, etc.

The NCAA and the schools already provide long term disability coverage. Most schools honor the scholarships of players that get hurt or sick.

I would actually like to see what would happen if the sec split off from the rest od division I. Being blocked from some of the lucrative tv contracts might sting.

One of the problems athletes now have is the expectation (requirement) to attend summer school and partake in summer training sessions. The coaches do not run these sessions. They are run mostly by the senior leadership of the team. However, the school is prohibited from paying for summer travel to and from the athletes home, summer room and board expenses, etc. IMO, this prohibition will change in the near future.

I don't think they are going far enough and I suspect (as I have stated in many previous posts) that some of the athletes that are suing the NCAA will wait until they win in court (which I believe they will) to strengthen their bargaining position. Until the big 5 get serious about it...the lawsuits will march on.

Regardless of any changes, the NCAA either has to win the lawsuits, risk losing the lawsuits and having pay huge damages or negotiate a settlement and pay whatever is agreed to.

Feel free to disagree...

We are witnessing the end of the NCAA in its current form. The job of the NCAA should be to run championships and stay out of the relationship between school and athlete. It should be as simple as that.

Turn the heat up. More talk of unionizing will help to insure that the NCAA has to start all over with the way they use/abuse the student athletes in the revenue sports. The only reason they are falling all over themselves now is because of the Northwestern situation. Make the NCAA resign...step down...cave in...crumble under it's own weight. Destroy the NCAA as it has evolved into a bloated, administrative heavy...bungling organization. Make the NCAA do all the things a union would make the NCAA do. Bring this house of cards that is known as the NCAA down. At the very least, make that organization start all over.

And, if the NCAA blows the mission still another time, the student athletes can always spend more time considering a move to unionization!

It is too late to turn back the hands of time!

Please maintain or enhance the ideal of a Student-Athlete or I will simply root for the professional teams

Please maintain or enhance the ideal of a Student-Athlete or I will simply root for the professional teams

Yes, please continue exploiting kids while reaping generous profits or I will simply take my viewership elsewhere.

You already see the writing on the wall, why don't you just leave now?

Agree. Either call it what it is becoming, a minor league, and drop the guise of making players go to class and enroll at the school, or go back to a true student model with academic standards that aren't a complete joke.

You drank the Kool Aid, now you want a plantation. Go cheer for the "non profit" NFL. LMFAO.

We are witnessing the end of the NCAA in its current form. The job of the NCAA should be to run championships and stay out of the relationship between school and athlete. It should be as simple as that.

If they do that the B1G will never win another championship. The SEC will become the pay for play and not even pretend to go to class. The B1G will hold some standards and that will be their collapse.

You drank the Kool Aid, now you want a plantation. Go cheer for the "non profit" NFL. LMFAO.

Besides being terribly offensive, it's asinine to draw allusions to:

a) forced mass suicide
b) slavery

when discussing college athletes. Try to have an honest conversation and quit it with the ridiculous rhetoric.

I don't think sweatshop workers are driving around campus on motorbikes.

That's not the point. The entire premise of dpo's post was that if you enter into something voluntarily you're no longer "exploited:rolleyes:". I disagree.

That's not the point. The entire premise of dpo's post was that if you enter into something voluntarily you're no longer "exploited:rolleyes:". I disagree.

Can you prove that sweatshop workers are given the conditions of their employment and then held to those conditions only? I can prove the conditions into which scholarship athletes enter and are then held to those conditions only. It's in their scholarship agreement, very well documented. I highly doubt sweatshop workers are given arrangements held to the same standards.

Can you prove that sweatshop workers are given the conditions of their employment and then held to those conditions only? I can prove the conditions into which scholarship athletes enter and are then held to those conditions only. It's in their scholarship agreement, very well documented. I highly doubt sweatshop workers are given arrangements held to the same standards.

I'm with you on that. Unfortunately, like sweatshop workers (whether they're fully aware of their conditions of employment or not) college football players, if they choose to continue in the sport and persue that avenue of employment are afforded no other options. Now, if there was an amateur league they could join (and be compensated for) or the NCAA and they chose the NCAA I feel you'd have a compelling argument. When there are literally no other viable options and they're in a sense forced to sign that agreement it's not a good faith contract in my estimation.

The only players that aren't being fairly compensated are the ones that don't take advantage of the free education being made available to them. Room, board, education, access to top trainers and training facilities, basically prepping these guys physically to enter the draft in 3-5 years time, if they are capable, that's a lot to get for free. This isn't basketball where 50% of the best are being drafted out of high school or after one year of college. For every Johnny Football that sells tickets and T-shirts for the NCAA there are 10 kids that wash out after red shirting for a year and sitting the bench for two.

I do think there is room to expand the number of scholarships for revenue sports like football. The only thing you have to do to make that work is provide equal numbers of scholarships to non-revenue girls athletes to keep Title IX in check. A small price to pay to fairly compensate more of the kids working on a football team.

I'm with you on that. Unfortunately, like sweatshop workers (whether they're fully aware of their conditions of employment or not) college football players, if they choose to continue in the sport and persue that avenue of employment are afforded no other options. Now, if there was an amateur league they could join (and be compensated for) or the NCAA and they chose the NCAA I feel you'd have a compelling argument. When there are literally no other viable options and they're in a sense forced to sign that agreement it's not a good faith contract in my estimation.

There are other professional options for kids who decide not to attend college. Basketball players head to Europe all the time. Football players can play in Canada or find semi-pro options to await the 3 year limit to the NFL. The reason no one does it is it is extremely hard to showcase yourself and make yourself NFL ready doing such things. All that said, that has nothing to do with the NCAA. They are not in business to be a feeder program to the NFL, even if that is how it works. It's not the Univeristy's problem if kids don't have another option for the NFL. A college scholarship is an agreement between the player and the school. If a player doesn't like the terms of that agreement, they shouldn't agree to it.

At the same time, no one can reasonably believe that the conditions a division 1 FBS player "works" in are comparable to a sweatshop.

At the same time, no one can reasonably believe that the conditions a division 1 FBS player "works" in are comparable to a sweatshop.

Unless your a candy-butt who's dad is an announcer for ESPN. But other than that, I agree with you.

Not saying they are. Never did. But for someone to say "well they signed up for it so tough" I drew a comparison where others signed up for something with deplorable conditions which, if going on dpo's original logic, meant we should turn a blind eye towards that, too.

There are other professional options for kids who decide not to attend college. Basketball players head to Europe all the time. Football players can play in Canada or find semi-pro options to await the 3 year limit to the NFL. The reason no one does it is it is extremely hard to showcase yourself and make yourself NFL ready doing such things. All that said, that has nothing to do with the NCAA. They are not in business to be a feeder program to the NFL, even if that is how it works. It's not the Univeristy's problem if kids don't have another option for the NFL. A college scholarship is an agreement between the player and the school. If a player doesn't like the terms of that agreement, they shouldn't agree to it.

Or they can openly rebel against it (as they are now) until the tide of opinion begins to sway in their favor (as it is now) until the system is changed (which it will be, in the not-to-distant future).

Let me flip it around. It's not the kids fault they're being exploited to reap massive rewards for their university. Tnot in the business to allow their namesakes and images to be utilized to line the pockets of the NCAA, their conferences and ultimately their universities. If universities/NCAA don't like paying their student athletes at market rates they're free to fold up shop and not to agree to the terms set forth by those athletes.

ETA: Why do people that hold your opinion take the stance that these kids 'owe' something to the NCAA? That somehow the NCAA isn't gaining anything and is actually providing some invaluable service to these young men who should be ashamed of themselves for evening challenging that system?

If they do that the B1G will never win another championship. The SEC will become the pay for play and not even pretend to go to class. The B1G will hold some standards and that will be their collapse.

The SEC won't make nearly as much money without the other 4 major conferences. They will play along because it is in their own best interests.

Top Bottom