SEC athletic director expects NCAA to allow sponsor logos on fields to help pay for athlete revenue sharing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per CBS:

With expenses going up following the agreed upon $2.8 billion House v. NCAA lawsuit settlement, it's only natural for schools to look for new revenue opportunities to meet the rising costs.

One potential source that could be available soon is field/court naming rights and sponsored jersey patches, according to one Southeastern Conference athletic director.

"I believe the NCAA is going to allow us to put a sponsored logo on the field during the regular season," Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin said. "That's an obvious revenue stream we have not had in the past. Pro sports are putting patches on jerseys. That doesn't seem like something that's crazy for us to consider."

The NCAA heavily restricts the use of commercial logos on fields, but a June 6 NCAA committee meeting "could change some of those restrictions," USA Today reports.

Go Gophers!!

How is this different than the Gophers having a big, ugly Cambria logo on the Williams Arena floor? It is currently allowed in basketball but not football?

Pretty soon, the football field is going to look like a soccer pitch.
Currently, FIFA's laws say sponsors logos can not be on the pitch but are fine with logos around the outside of the pitch's lines.

Mo money. Mo problems.

If they are going to do this (and they will) they should do what they do in the NBA and MLB and put digitally superimposed logos on dead parts of the field that only show on the broadcast.

In terms of "brand impressions" the TV audience is far larger than the in-person audience. It's also much more flexible from a production and ad sales standpoint than painting it into the turf.

If they are going to do this (and they will) they should do what they do in the NBA and MLB and put digitally superimposed logos on dead parts of the field that only show on the broadcast.
Hockey does this too. I am pretty sure they even cover up the actual board ads with digital versions.

Hockey does this too. I am pretty sure they even cover up the actual board ads with digital versions.
Took me a while to get used to that.

Currently, FIFA's laws say sponsors logos can not be on the pitch but are fine with logos around the outside of the pitch's lines.
Soccer is a bit different too, because there aren't stoppages/TV timeouts. So sponsors have to do it this way.

Coming onto the field is the 3M University of Minnesota Gopher Gophers, presented by Washburn McCreavy Funeral Homes!!! “When those forever chemicals kill you, we’ll bury you in your proud Gopher colors!”

The Gophers offense sponsored by KY Jelly because no offense Strokes the Post better in the Nation!

Take the money. Otherwise you are paying to use the school/league logo. Think of it that way.

Top Bottom