Seat license

staygold

Reaction score
Maybe this idea has been discussed on this board. If it has I missed it. Every time I read of the U's woefully underfunded NIL collective I wonder about this topic specifically. I have been a season ticket holder since the Dome days and have paid a seat license fee (7 seats) since moving to TCF. Can anyone answer why seat license revenue can't be diverted to the collective?

As I understand, donations to DTA provide benefactors certain privileges/access to athletes. None of those perceived benefits appeal to me and my guess is other potential donors are similarly inclined. What does appeal to me is access to great seats for every home game which is why I don't balk at the $600/seat license fee.

I have to assume this would be relatively easy to accomplish from a technology perspective. Could be as simple as adding a boiler plate message to season ticket renewal stating that seat license fee is now directed to DTA. At worst, due to legal entity distinction, the renewal process would require two payments, but there are very simple ways to make this really painless for ticket purchasers.

My back of the napkin calculation for football alone is ~$10M. This plan would also clearly define which teams are benefiting from donations. Seat license fee for football obviously goes in the football bucket. My guess is only football, men's hoops, and men's hockey actually charge license fees. Coincidentally, those are the sports are that are getting left behind in the NIL arms race.

The only reason I can think of that this idea hasn't been pursued by the U or DTA is that the U can't, or isn't willing to, absorb the budget hit. If that's the case the Administration and Coaches should stop complaining about our underfunded NIL. The answer is right in front of them and they are too greedy to admit it.

For those that might argue donations to DTA aren't tax deductible, seat license fees haven't been deductible for several years now.

Curious if anyone knows if this idea has been floated and if so what are the stated reasons it can't work.

It's a good idea. I doubt that it's allowed, but I'm only guessing. If it's not allowed, maybe DTA donations could at least be applied to our Gopher loyalty score.

Top Bottom