Search Committee

Reaction score
A few months ago, HBO's Inside Sports did a feature on NCAA search committees. It showed how many major colleges and universities select their next coach. The quality of the coach is not the most important factor. Some of the highlights were:

Michigan did not use a search committee to hire Rich Rod. They thought the Michigan brand was sufficient to get a big time coach and were embarrassed. They had the very public rejections from Miles and Schiano followed by the messy contract Rich Rod had with WVU. They ended up paying millions to make that situation go away. The back channel communications and research done by a search committee could have avoided all that, such as the Tubby hire.

Conflicts of interest are rampant in search committee companies. Agents have a lot of influence trying to get their guys placed. A system of paybacks and favors exists.

Shoe companies play a big role. You can't hire a Nike guy at an Under Armour school.

Street agents, recruiting services, and others who "represent" high school athletes have a say in who gets recommended. Google the "Tank Brothers" and NCAA basketball and see how they place high level coaches in return for delivering high level talent to that school. As payment, they recieve tickets and access. The tickets end up being brokered and bankrolling their business.

It's fun throwing out names as possible coaches next year, but more goes into the search than just who is the most qualified. Maturi will have a minefield of politics to wade through in selecting the next coach, if he is allowed to make that choice.

As long as Maturi ends up with someone more like Tubby (proven) than Brew (no head coaching or coordinator experience), the University will be fine. If at first you don't succeed, that means try again and get it right the second time.

I get the impression that the search committee was a mere formality last time around and I doubt that will be the case this time around. I agree a search committee can ferret out the complications and get the best candidates in place and iron out any complications before it gets too far along in the process.

Top Bottom