Scrimmage Recap

I thought harold Legania(#94) looked big and was quick off the ball......he stopped a back in the backfield twice for a loss or no gain

I was equally impressed with #94 Harold Legaina, GRAY IS A QB

As mentioned he is a big dude that can really move and will help us. Just really get's off the snap of the football well and seems to be able to create good havoc and penetration.

Those that are already chocking Gray up to the WR spot do not be so short sighted or seduced by his ability as a WR, he is going to be a really good QB back when it is all said and done. Those high and wide throws were from bad footwork and will be on the money as he get's more reps and chances to throw the ball, getting used to setting his feet and making throws. You can already see he has more poise and isn't nearly rushed as he was last year. He is a good one waiting to take over from Weber next year, I want the ball in his hands next year leading this team, he is going to be our Pryor.

I thought harold Legania(#94) looked big and was quick off the ball......he stopped a back in the backfield twice for a loss or no gain

I will say that Legania came off as an extremely nice individual after the scrimmage. He was willing to get on a knee and take a picture with my 4 year old son.

All the players were really friendly after the scrimmage. Kudos to the team and the people who organized the event. Lots of fun.

As mentioned he is a big dude that can really move and will help us. Just really get's off the snap of the football well and seems to be able to create good havoc and penetration.

Those that are already chocking Gray up to the WR spot do not be so short sighted or seduced by his ability as a WR, he is going to be a really good QB back when it is all said and done. Those high and wide throws were from bad footwork and will be on the money as he get's more reps and chances to throw the ball, getting used to setting his feet and making throws. You can already see he has more poise and isn't nearly rushed as he was last year. He is a good one waiting to take over from Weber next year, I want the ball in his hands next year leading this team, he is going to be our Pryor.

Understand that i have no doubts that MG will be a good college QB, maybe a great one(?). But I'll say this - he could be an NFL receiver, if he played WR full-time. That's my opinion - agree or disagree, no sweat.

Understand that i have no doubts that MG will be a good college QB, maybe a great one(?). But I'll say this - he could be an NFL receiver, if he played WR full-time. That's my opinion - agree or disagree, no sweat.

+1

Ideally, you want a guy to take reps at QB in order to aid his progression, but I don't think it's a bad idea to get Gray in at WR as much as possible. Learning the position could help him kind of get into the minds of his WRs and the other teams DBs when it comes to recognizing mismatches and reading defenses.

First Weber looked more poised, didn't seem to hesitate, rather look to options.
They ran from the I formation, yes!
No one mention Hoese on the trap play. He will be a key player.
Olson is impressive. His ability to block into the second level, collapse the left side, and hook the defensive end not only opens the pitch but also helps Bunders with the cut off or pull around. That being the same on the right side with Wills and Carufel. The offensive line appears more coordinated, getting more push, and showing line skills. If they can develope the power sweep pulling both guards around either Wills or Olson that would be the next step.

My thinking on a series for Gray, having developed the iso, trap, and sweep out of the I. Bring him in for a series of Option football out of the I ala Rickey Foggie. Gray on the edge with a pitch option to Stoudermire could be the missing piece.

Defense the play of Manuel, Watkins, Vereen, and Lewis are going to play in the opener. JJ hits were impressive. Surely he travels on Special Forces.

Hageman is still working through the sprained ankle.

All and all this is a much better team than last year, certainly Coach Brewster best.
If they can gain confidence in the run blocking, it won't matter to much who is back there. I would like Bennett to take 25 carries a game.

Johnson

Impressed with his play, but he has to learn to just walk away after he makes a hit. Each of his three today would have likely earned him personal fouls. You simply cannot stand up over a guy and stare down at him. Not even for a second.

Vereen and Manuel are good athletes, but I don't think they are ready for the big time yet. If put in in the right situations they will help by fall, a redshirt yr will have Bouie ready by next fall. I liked the way Henderson moved and covered, they ( QB's ) stay away from throwing to his side.

A few questions

1) Last year, Fisch had Weber change his throwing motion to more of an overhand type motion. We all know the result. Were his passes more 3/4 motion (and a few side-arms) and crisp?
2) Was Weber confident in the pocket? Last year, once he got rattled a few times from the blind-side, he got "happy feet". When Weber has time and confidence, the guy is an upper tier QB. Getting flushed out of the pocket is not his strong-point.
3) Last years scrimmage, I could see the issue of a complicated playbook which resulted in poor execution. With the promised simplification of the play scheme, how was the execution?
4) In preparing for MTSU; did you see the second team offense against the 1st team defense run a 3 wide receiver stacked set (i.e. 3 wide receivers stacked wide on one side)? MTSU runs that play extremely well. It gives Dasher the option of a variety of passes or a delayed run up the middle. It loosens up the secondary. This is the type of play that Gray could execute (and it would be good prep for MTSU). I don't know if anyone was looking for that specific play, but that play is responsible for about 1/2 of MTSU's total yards. Just curious.

Anything on the play of Michael Carter and Devon Wright?

Devon Wright did not get in the scrimmage

I do not recall seeing him or even #1 Beal play at all. Rescooter I seem to remember both the second team and first team run the 3 stack WR set on a few ocassions mainly the second team with Gray in there so I think they are pretty aware that MTSU runs that a lot. Weber did not play a lot, but when he did get pressure he slid well away from it, did not seem as panicked or fire drill like with the feet. He did plunk a couple into the ground but his throwing motion look's more 3/4 maybe not as over the top as Fisch last year pushed him to do. Still locks in on one receiver at times, but if I was going to do that it would be with Dajon Mcknight he can go get it if you need to throw it up. hopefully he can use the head fakes to throw them off a little more. Gophers really emphasized the run yesterday, a lot of the snaps out of the I with two backs maybe 65 to 70 percent of the plays were runs, and with the ones versus the two's it is hard to tell a lot how the first team offense is doing, they were pretty vanilla and did not show a lot on purpose I think. Kirkwood got at least 20 to 21 carries yesterday. After the Eskeridge fumble didn't see him a lot and I think the backs even ran sprints after the scrimmage because of the fumble. When it was the freshman scholarship guy's with the walk-ons you could really notice the difference in the O-lineman and defensive backs. The feshman O-lineman as a group have good feet and are already in good shape. They keep there quickness and gain strength and they are going to baby bulls down the road.

Thanks gopherdude!

Nice rundown. I'm looking very forward to seeing this group prove the so called "experts" wrong.

Thanks again!

Weber did not play a lot, but when he did get pressure he slid well away from it, did not seem as panicked or fire drill like with the feet. He did plunk a couple into the ground but his throwing motion look's more 3/4 maybe not as over the top as Fisch last year pushed him to do. Gophers really emphasized the run yesterday, a lot of the snaps out of the I with two backs maybe 65 to 70 percent of the plays were runs

I think Horton's offense will benefit Weber immensely. Last year they put the ball in his hands and asked him to win every game. That became nearly impossible once Decker was out. I can only think of one qb in the Big Ten over the last decade or so who could do that fairly consistently: Drew Brees. I doubt they will set any records, but they'll do just enough to keep the chains moving and the pressure off the defense. The one thing I'm most interested in seeing this fall is what kind of play calling Horton will do. Game planning too. He has pretty interesting background, but he hasn't been a coordinator. He wikipedia bio suggest he helped handle that with the Rams.
2006-2008, Horton was hired as the special assistant/offense to the St. Louis Rams. In that position, he assists Head coach Scott Linehan with administrative duties, offensive play-calling, and preparation.

Based on how the Rams performed during the Linehan years, I'm not filled with confidence. I assume Lineham is the "trusted source" for much of the positive feedback the kfan folks mention when talking about Horton, which I pick up here second hand since I cannot stand talk radio in any format. Regardless, he seems like a solid football guy.

I am also very curious about the down-by-down play calling.

It got to the point last year where I knew 90% of the time whether we were going to pass or run. Surely a more educated scout from the opposing team could do even better. I think our predictability on offense (aside from a handful of genuine "trick" plays) really hurt our offense... especially the offensive line, because the opposing defenses often seemed to know exactly how many men to rush up front on each play.

I hope the end of the season comes and the play calling gets a bit more elaborate, but stays sensible, and maintains some amount of unpredictability.

Not much new to add, I guess, but here's my perspective:

- Kirkwood is the real deal. Good vision, quick feet and is able to fight through initial contact. As others have said, I'd be shocked if he wasn't splitting time with Bennett by week 3.
- I'd give Gray a B- at QB. As has been said, most of his short and intermediate throws were high. Had a nice deep ball to Keise that would have gone for a TD had Vic not been tackled by the DB before the ball arrived. It's always tough to tell, though, since QBs are down by contact and he can't use his feet. As a WR, though, Gray looked fantastic.
- It's too bad Johnny Johnson looks like he's about 5'4", because he can really hit. Not sure you can put him out there, though, since he was absolutely no match for Dajon on the long TD pass from Weber.
- Oreske was money in the live practice prior to the scrimmage. Was consistently dropping high punts within the 15 yard line

So do you think Johnny Johnson can be a special teams stud?

Top Bottom