Scout; Nelson Ready to Play For Gophers--link

Jon

Reaction score
"While at the spring game, Nelson got a chance to sit with his future teammates, Andre McDonald and Maxx Williams. The trio has already started working out together on their own to prepare for their career in the Maroon and Gold"

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/1069343.html

I like the comment about how well the recruits like Coach Kill and his staff.

For a guy that I will admit I had my doubts would ever play for the Gophers, he sure seems all-in and a huge fan of the Gopher program. You have to be really encouraged about his comments and his commitment to getting better and getting to know his future teammates.

For what its worth, the Badgers now have their QB. They somehow got a kid out of California that, according to Rivals, has a UCLA offer. That should put to rest any lingering concerns that some have about Nelson pulling a Konrad.

For what its worth, the Badgers now have their QB. They somehow got a kid out of California that, according to Rivals, has a UCLA offer. That should put to rest any lingering concerns that some have about Nelson pulling a Konrad.

Madison media is trumpeting it as the first time UW has gotten an elite QB. So I agree, if that commitment holds I definitely don't think there is any reason to fear Nelson pulling a Konrad (and based on what I'm reading I think that is true regardless of what this new Wisky verbal does).

They somehow got a kid out of California that, according to Rivals, has a UCLA offer.

That's not surprising to me at all. UCLA is a dumpster fire with a dead man walking for a coach. They have failed to realize their potential even more than Minnesota, which is nearly impossible. One should be able to field a very competitive squad solely from LA-area recruits who want to stay home and don't have USC offers, let alone Hawaii and the entire Western seaboard. Making a commitment to UCLA now is guaranteeing that you have no idea who you will be playing for the next 4-5 years. As you know, QB recruiting is a game of musical chairs, and if he waited until December or January (when the identity of UCLA's new coach is known), he might not have a spot anymore. Taking an offer from any of Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Washington, or Wisconsin (hell, even Iowa St.) is pretty much a no-brainer right now, even for a California QB.

Madison media is trumpeting it as the first time UW has gotten an elite QB.

If by "elite", they mean a top 15 QB (at best). Call me crazy, but I wouldn't call a kid with zero helmet school offers "elite" in any sense of the word. MarQueis is by far our highest-rated recruit in the Rivals era, and even he didn't have any helmet school offers. Houston also won't be rated even close to as high as Gray was.

So I agree, if that commitment holds I definitely don't think there is any reason to fear Nelson pulling a Konrad (and based on what I'm reading I think that is true regardless of what this new Wisky verbal does).

+1. I am officially off the "Philip Nelson-Zagzebski" bandwagon. Zero percent chance of it happening.

I live in LA and Bart Houston isn't really the type of elite QB prospect that would have been recruited by USC. This is essentially like getting a really good Ohio kid who didn't get offered by tOSU. Furthermore, Houston is not from Southern California, he is from Northern California. It's really like two seperate states, I doubt Houston would consider UCLA anything close to his home school. No offer from Cal or Stanford, WI is a good program...makes sense.

Not saying he won't be a really good player and a good recruit (probably 4 star) but some of the Bucky posters are talking about him like he is on the level of the Jimmy Clausens, Mark Sanchezs, and Matt Leinarts of the world (in terms of HS recruiting goes).

I agree Dpo, I didn't think we'd have much a chance to get him and right when he signed I thought of Konrad...i'm also off that bandwagon.

If he committed to the gophers people would go ape shi.t

If he committed to the gophers people would go ape shi.t

Yeah, but we haven't been to the Rose Bowl in 50 years. If I was coming off a Rose Bowl appearance and the best I can do at QB is a kid with middling BCS offers and none from the 3 best schools in his own state, I wouldn't be bragging about it and calling him "elite".

Yeah, but we haven't been to the Rose Bowl in 50 years. If I was coming off a Rose Bowl appearance and the best I can do at QB is a kid with middling BCS offers and none from the 3 best schools in his own state, I wouldn't be bragging about it and calling him "elite".

Personally, I am very happy with the Gophs getting Nelson, so consider me going ape*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. I think he will be brilliant in this system.
As far as Wisconsin and the Cali quarterback go, they have never had a highly recruited quarterback in my memory. This kid should be terrific for them, a lot better than the guys they have taken in the past, at least at the recruiting evaluation stage.

The funny thing is that Phillips (4-star, #7 dual-threat QB in 2008) and Budmayr (#17 pro-style QB in 2009) were both rated higher or equal to where Houston will be, and Budmayr's offer list was much better (Notre Dame and Nebraska). Yet the Vadger faithful are molesting their dead deer sex dolls like there's no tomorrow.

Get real people it is Kill's recruiting kick butt QB's and the BADgers not getting Minnesota QB recruits. ;) ;P

It is really surprising to see Gophers fans ripping on this commitment. Whatever you do, don't violate this rule of recruiting. The 4 star recruits your school signs are good and the 4 star recruits other schools sign are not good. If that rule is ever violated, your opinions may actually have credibility. Would hate to see that.

He is a 4 star on Scout and the 7th rated QB. Chose the Badgers over Iowa, another middle of the road Big 10 school. Had offers from Arizona, Colorado, San Diego State, UCLA, Utah and Washington. Who knows who else would have offered if he did not already commit. Frankly, it doesn't matter.

By the way, what do you mean by Vadger? Don't you know it is Badger? Unreal that you, of all people, would make a mistake like that.

I kind of predicted you'd come in here with a mad post.

It is really surprising to see Gophers fans ripping on this commitment.

I haven't seen anyone ripping on the commitment. My only question is why Becky fans are all working themselves into a lather when they already have 3 QBs on the roster with better ratings (Phillips) or better offer lists (Budmayr, Brennan). What's so great about Houston? Because he's from California and went to De La Salle? Big deal. If he were truly "elite", he would have been offered by at least one of USC, Oregon, Stanford, or Cal, and likely all of them. It doesn't give you pause that Kiffin and Tedford both have a great deal of experience with future NFL QBs, and they both said "pass"?

The 4 star recruits your school signs are good and the 4 star recruits other schools sign are not good.

He's not a 4-star. At least not yet, anyway. The one recruiting service that matters hasn't rendered its opinion. Even if he is (which I doubt), that won't make him elite.

If that rule is ever violated, your opinions may actually have credibility.

Yeah, I really care what a fan of a school with zero national titles and a losing record to Minnesota thinks of my credibility.

Chose the Badgers over Iowa, another middle of the road Big 10 school.

What have you done with the real GVVadger? Becky a "middle of the road Big 10 school"? Sacrilege! Everyone knows that Dolly Madison is an elite national football program and has been such since college football began in 1993.

Had offers from Arizona, Colorado, San Diego State, UCLA, Utah and Washington.

The only two of those that are relevant are Utah and Washington, and Washington only because of Sarkisian's name and experience with elite QBs.

Who knows who else would have offered if he did not already commit. Frankly, it doesn't matter.

Oh, but it does matter. You can't all go to Buckyville and work yourself up into a cheese-induced orgy over a commit, citing his ratings and his stupendous offer sheet, and then pretend that his offer list doesn't matter. You can't have it both ways.

If only the Wisconsin football program could ever reach the status of the Gopher football program. Do you really believe the delusional *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# that you spew on this message board? The subject of your posts constantly reek of envy.

If only the Wisconsin football program could ever reach the status of the Gopher football program. Do you really believe the delusional *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# that you spew on this message board? The subject of your posts constantly reek of envy.

Please elaborate on specifics.

Envy? The only envy here over Becky's team is the recent moderate success they've had. But that's it. I don't think there's a single UofM fan here that would trade our 6 National Titles for your cute little Rose Bowl appearances.

Chill bro, it's all good. Just accept that our history > your history.

I will repeat my earlier question - why is Bart Houston, a middling 3-star prospect with no helmet school offers, causing the level of turgidity among the Vadger faithful that is typically only engendered by attending a seminar on the benefits and best practices of zoonecrophilia? It is especially perplexing when they already have 3 QBs on the roster with better ratings and/or offer lists. Why is Houston the one that is going to take Dolly Madison to the next level? I anxiously invite and await the responses of any and all members of Cannibalistic Dead Deer-Humper Nation.

I don't think he is the savior like you are saying but I do like him a lot. He seems like a bigger, slightly stronger-armed Scott Tolzein.

As for your question:

He is actually a higher ranked kid than any of the QBs on the roster except for Phillips whose career may be over as he just tore the same ACL for the third time. The only reason he is a three star on Rivals is because he had a shaky showing at the Army combine but they commented about his showing at the Elite 11 camp that he will be moving up in the rankings when they are redone. He is a four star on the other two sites.

The Scout guys had him splitting MVP honors with Zach Kline who could make a run for number 1 QB in the class at the Palo Alto Elite 11.

The ESPN guys had this to say:
The Wisconsin commit showed flashes of a strong-armed pocket passer. After watching him throw live and seeing his precision and power driving the ball vertically, it's hard to imagine he comes from a run-oriented high school offense. Houston is athletic throwing on the run and can fire the ball downfield, particularly when his feet are settled. Already mechanically polished, his upside is through the roof.

The Rivals guy said this:
Houston is a winner. He led De La Salle to an undefeated season as a junior and after a shaky performance at the U.S. Army National Combine came out at the Elite 11 and clearly showed he has special talents. His arm strength is impressive, his ball placement was one of the best at the event and he carries himself with control and confidence. What makes Houston special is that you know he can deliver the ball to receivers all over the field and almost always gets in there on time and on target.

Sorry for talking about a topic that you guys could give two *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#s about but I am just answering dpodoll68's question. I will go away now.

BTW- the QB that I like the most on UW's roster is actually a true frosh walk-on that just goes to show how the rankings are kinda outta wack

No offense to Wisconsin, but why would a great quarterback recruit want to go to a school with a stable of great running backs just to hand off to them two out of every three plays? Especially with the many quarterback friendly offenses that are out there now a days. I get the fact that they just went to the Rose Bowl and all, but still, if I was such a great quarterback recruit like Wisconsin fans and these rating sites say, then I'd want to go somewhere where I can showcase my talents and throw the ball more often. Just my two cents worth.

I will repeat my earlier question - why is Bart Houston, a middling 3-star prospect with no helmet school offers, causing the level of turgidity among the Vadger faithful that is typically only engendered by attending a seminar on the benefits and best practices of zoonecrophilia? It is especially perplexing when they already have 3 QBs on the roster with better ratings and/or offer lists. Why is Houston the one that is going to take Dolly Madison to the next level? I anxiously invite and await the responses of any and all members of Cannibalistic Dead Deer-Humper Nation.

Thank you Dpo. I haven't laughed that hard in long time. F'ing hilarious.:D:D:clap::clap:

No offense to Wisconsin, but why would a great quarterback recruit want to go to a school with a stable of great running backs just to hand off to them two out of every three plays? Especially with the many quarterback friendly offenses that are out there now a days. I get the fact that they just went to the Rose Bowl and all, but still, if I was such a great quarterback recruit like Wisconsin fans and these rating sites say, then I'd want to go somewhere where I can showcase my talents and throw the ball more often. Just my two cents worth.

My question also.
Ik thanks for the actually informative post. At least some of you are level headed to some degree.

to be fair, that is only a question he can answer. bottom line is this kid could be amazing or he could suck (i am hoping for the latter) there is just no way to know.

F the red weasels and F Bart Houston.

This is (was) a thread about Nelson and the fact that he's working out with his future Gopher teammates.

Just keep looking forward, while looking down at the badgers.

First time in a long time I have been happy to see the skunks get the QB they want.

Top Bottom