Scheduling Conflict

2nd Degree Gopher

Reaction score
Did this happen the way I remember it?

1) The Gophers need to or decide to schedule their first game of the 2010 season on the road so as not to conflict with the State Fair.

2) The best alternative they can find is a game at Middle Tennessee State.

3) The game is set for Thursday, September 2, to increase the likelihood that it will be aired on a national network.

4) The “national network” ends up being ESPNU.

5) The NFL announces its preseason schedule with the Vikings playing a home game, which will be aired on a local channel, for Thursday, September 2.

I guess it’s not a huge deal, but for some reason it bugs me. This program never seems to catch a break.

Yeah. Based on that order of events, you can't really blame the Vikes.

I just wonder why BTN won't cover our first game. I realize its in a non-B10 stadium, but having an earlier season-opening game, you'd think would be worth their effort. Is there another B10 game on at the same time?

Hopefully they will do another student-viewing at the bank like they did last year. I had a good time at last year's.

I wouldn't be against making it for more than just students. But it still should be the first opportunity for students to get their season tickets and t-shirts.

I just wonder why BTN won't cover our first game. I realize its in a non-B10 stadium, but having an earlier season-opening game, you'd think would be worth their effort. Is there another B10 game on at the same time?

The Sun Belt Conference has a contract with ESPN so they own the rights.

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks, Max!

Now do we know what will be on ESPN and ESPN2 that night? Who else is playing? Probably the freaking red sox... espn loves the hell out of those hosebags. ;)

And I am sure at the time they thought the best chance to get the game aired at all was to move it from the more cluttered Saturday window. As it turns out, with the Vikings (and Twins) both playing in town that night and on more accessible TV, the result could have been almost the same if the Gophers were trying to hide the game from casual viewers rather than taking steps to make it available to a wider audience. I don't blame anybody, but as someone who wants to see the program grow and prosper, it bothers me that it worked out this way.

I'll try not to be a Richard, but this has been posted here literally dozens of times. Make sure you're not doing anything else but reading this post, so that you are not distracted and that it is firmly implanted in your hippocampus.

The Big Ten Network does not have the rights to broadcast Big Ten road games. They are allowed to broadcast only Big Ten home games.

Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow. We now return to your regular broadcast schedule.

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks, Max!

Now do we know what will be on ESPN and ESPN2 that night? Who else is playing? Probably the freaking red sox... espn loves the hell out of those hosebags. ;)

Southern Miss at South Carolina and then USC at Hawaii on ESPN.

Pitt at Utah on CBS College Sports

Marshall at Ohio State? No. Ill at Iowa State? Florida A&M at Miami?

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

Top Bottom