Sawvel is not a D1 DC!!!

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
Good DB coach, but way over his head as DC.
Pay Dave Aranda as HC, and hope to hell he hires a DC that's worthy.
Discuss...

Sawvel is a D1 DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discuss...

Give him a chance. This is his 1st year. He will get better. TC was the DC, and is there to help him grow into the job. Have some patience.

Not to mention that out D looked good vs IA and MD. Short memory.

Discuss...

Did you get a chance to watch David Gibbs coach against Mike Stoops last night? If so, you'd have a better opinion of the job Jay is doing with significantly less talent and depth. Particularly in his first season.

Angry fans just throwing $hit against the wall. It's hilarious.

He lost two players unexpectedly 24 hours before the game. Look at Maryland and Iowa performances.

It all comes back to recruiting. Give any coach better players, and they become a better coach.

The Gophers are stuck in the same rut they've been in for decades. They can recruit enough 2* and 3* players to produce a record somewhere around .500 - some years a little better - some years a little worse. But they have not been able to recruit the higher caliber of players needed to move into the upper echelon of the conference.

They tried a supposed recruiting guru in Brewster - but he couldn't coach, and didn't hire the right assistants. If Claeys gets the boot, the Gophers need to learn from the Brewster era - find a coach who is a big-time recruiter, but this time, make sure they have solid coordinators to handle the X's and O's - and make sure there is a philosophy in place that everyone agrees with. I'm fine with having a head coach who is a recruiter/organizer type, and let the coordinators handle the day-to-day coaching - IF it means a better caliber of recruits. That is the key. Want a better team? Need better players.

He lost two players unexpectedly 24 hours before the game. Look at Maryland and Iowa performances.

This. That obviously made a difference. Also d isnt as good as last year to start with. No depth in the defensive backfield.

It all comes back to recruiting. Give any coach better players, and they become a better coach.

The Gophers are stuck in the same rut they've been in for decades. They can recruit enough 2* and 3* players to produce a record somewhere around .500 - some years a little better - some years a little worse. But they have not been able to recruit the higher caliber of players needed to move into the upper echelon of the conference.

They tried a supposed recruiting guru in Brewster - but he couldn't coach, and didn't hire the right assistants. If Claeys gets the boot, the Gophers need to learn from the Brewster era - find a coach who is a big-time recruiter, but this time, make sure they have solid coordinators to handle the X's and O's - and make sure there is a philosophy in place that everyone agrees with. I'm fine with having a head coach who is a recruiter/organizer type, and let the coordinators handle the day-to-day coaching - IF it means a better caliber of recruits. That is the key. Want a better team? Need better players.

The athletes village will help once it's completed. We have MAC level or lower facilities.

This. That obviously made a difference. Also d isnt as good as last year to start with. No depth in the defensive backfield.

And then in the 1st half yesterday he lost his best LB Jack Lynn for the rest of the game and the 1st half of this week's game. Didn't get much (or anything?) out of Poock and Caughlin because of injuries either.

Our defense was not the problem yesterday. Our offense mailed it in after the first quarter. I'm actually impressed with what our defense has done with all the injuries and distractions of suspended players.

I'd also like to add that high major FBS football and D1 football are not the same thing. You're saying he's not even deserving of a bottom of the barrel FCS defensive coordinator job. Just like how saying Mitch Leidner is not a D1 quarterback is implying you'd rather have the third stringer at Savannah State than Mitch.

Our defense was not the problem yesterday. Our offense mailed it in after the first quarter. I'm actually impressed with what our defense has done with all the injuries and distractions of suspended players.

We gave up 32 points. To Rutgers.

1. Our defense didn't give up all those points
2. Our offense continually going 3 and out, bad punting, and special teams fumbles were more to blame than our defense.

I've noticed an astonishing difference in defensive play when Kiante Hardin is in
and when he's out. Could one player make a huge difference? (ask Jabrill Peppers)
but ask yourself how many plays Antonio Shenault covered, and missed.. It adds up

Won't be a D1 CD much longer if he continues to play his CB and safeties off 10yards inside the red zone.

I've noticed an astonishing difference in defensive play when Kiante Hardin is in
and when he's out. Could one player make a huge difference? (ask Jabrill Peppers)
but ask yourself how many plays Antonio Shenault covered, and missed.. It adds up

Yeah the secondary takes a major drop without Hardin out there for sure.

Well 26 Mitch tossed a pick six. The only thing pissed me off about the D was not being able to stop the qb runs.If anything the D bailed us out with some timely picks and sacks.

Discuss...

You are not a fifth grade poster, yet you are still here.

Wow! This was not a good game. Clearly. For either the offense or defense. But we won! With two games coming up that we could (should) win. This is a team in a position to win from 7-10 games with a first year HC & DC. Let's get a little real here. Also, in the vein of full disclosure, I was screaming at the TV so loud my dog hid in the back bedroom.

Defense gave up 25. Offense gave up a pick six.

Add the three points that resulted from Woli's muffed punt, in Rutgers FG range.. The defense forced Rutgers to a 3 and out, and a FG instead of a touchdown..... Really, defense gave up 22.... with a depleted secondary, mind you.

Per S&P we are 9th on standard downs and 91st on passing downs (such as third down). We can't get off the field. Our inability to sniff out the screen, stay in gaps, contain running QBs have been frustrating. Luckily these issues among other issues (eg personnel) have only really bitten us so far in the PSU game. But, I think our relatively good total defense (32nd in terms of yards/game) and scoring defense (38th) may somewhat reflect the sub-elite offenses we've seen thus far, and our ability to move the ball fairly well thus limiting opponent's opportunities. That's a roundabout way of saying our opposition hasn't been very good and we seem to catch them a t good times in terms of their injury situations. We need to get better.

He is because he clearly is coaching a D1 team.

Also the defense has been pretty good this year.

Top Bottom