Satellite radio broadcasts

Reaction score
Since I don't have access to the Big Ten Network, does anyone know if the gopher games will be broadcast via Satellite radio? If so, what station number. Thanks in advance.

Go Gophers
SK Gopher

Yes, the Big Ten Network has an agreement with XM radio, which I have. The channel numbers change each week, so you'd have to check online, or on your radio on gameday. Unfortunately, the games aren't even always on the same set of numbers (170-180 for ex.). MLB and NFL games are pretty much on the same set of numbers, but the college games are more all over the place. But yes, you can get them.

Hey Sk,

I just got hooked up with Shaw cable and I get the Big Ten network as aprt of the digital cable package. I had no idea- it is the only American sports channel I get.

It may be you can get BTN on Shaw in SK as well. It was a pleasant surprise.

one huge drawback

Since I don't have access to the Big Ten Network, does anyone know if the gopher games will be broadcast via Satellite radio? If so, what station number. Thanks in advance.

Go Gophers
SK Gopher

When they play at home, you have to listen to Dave Lee. When the realization sets in that you not only have no idea what is happening on the field but you're actually paying to torture yourself in this manner, it can be quite depressing.

It is kind of interesting to listen to the road games when you get a chance to hear their announcers. It's fun when we win, sux when we lose or get beaten badly. After a few seasons, you also realize just how bad Dave Lee is. There are others that aren't very good, but none that will tell you "First and Ten. The Give is to Bennett. Gain of 8. That will bring up 2nd and 6" on a consistent basis.

I don't subscribe to Satellite anymore (killed it in January), but moved back closer to the twin cities so will be trekking up from Des Moines for the home games and watched the roadies on the Big Ten network thanks to DirecTV.

I had heard that the Big Ten did not come to an agreement with XM/Sirius. Does anyone know the current status?

I have had xm for about 6 years now and LOVE it.
Having said that, however, I am unhappy to report that (for whatever reason) the Big Ten is no longer represented on XM (nor Sirius as far as I know).

I don't have any specifics, but the Big Ten is still listed on the XM radio site.

A "Maybe"

I don't have any specifics, but the Big Ten is still listed on the XM radio site.

Here's what I got from another site:

Thanks for your email. We were unable to reach a contract agreement with the Big 10 for the 2010 season. We will air Michigan and Ohio State broadcasts and we are still speaking with other Big 10 schools about airing their games, but we will not have a Conference deal with the Big 10. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for being a subscriber.

Steve Cohen
SVP Sports Programming
Sirius XM Radio

I saw that too as the BigTen symbol on their front page, but when you go to the channel lineup, it is not listed (wheras the PAC10 etc are). Also their commercials for College Football covereage do not mention the Big Ten anymore.

Here's what I got from another site:

Thanks for your email. We were unable to reach a contract agreement with the Big 10 for the 2010 season. We will air Michigan and Ohio State broadcasts and we are still speaking with other Big 10 schools about airing their games, but we will not have a Conference deal with the Big 10. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for being a subscriber.

Steve Cohen
SVP Sports Programming
Sirius XM Radio

Not really a maybe. Ohio State/Michigan had their own deals with Sirius before the merger. The B10 had a deal for the whole conference with XM. It looks like the B10 deal is gone but the OSU/Mich deals are in place.

No Gophers on XM

XM/Sirius paid for rights in the past but wanted them for free this year. The Gophers said no.

Well, that really sucks. Now I need my satellite TV provider to carry the Big Ten Network or at least convince them to carry the network. Now I can end my complimentary satellite radio when it expires in October, I was thinking of keeping it just to be able to hear the Gopher games up here.

Thanks everyone
SK Gopher

Well, that really sucks. Now I need my satellite TV provider to carry the Big Ten Network or at least convince them to carry the network. Now I can end my complimentary satellite radio when it expires in October, I was thinking of keeping it just to be able to hear the Gopher games up here.

Thanks everyone
SK Gopher

I'm assuming by your moniker that your TV provider is a Canadian satellite provider versus DirecTV or DISH?

Gophers back on XM Radio

Thanks everyone
SK Gopher

Saskatchewan Gopher might be heartened by the below XM COLLEGE BIG TEN schedule for this week. I just got it from the XM website:

XM Radio Broadcast Schedule

MEN'S FOOTBALL
Date Game Pre-Game Game Time Channel
10/3/2009 Arkansas State @ Iowa N/A 12:00PMET XM 141
Michigan @ Michigan State (away feed) N/A 12:00PMET XM 144
Michigan @ Michigan State (home feed) N/A 12:00PMET XM 196
Wisconsin @ Minnesota N/A 12:00PMET XM 197
Northwestern @ Purdue N/A 12:00PMET XM 198
Penn State @ Illinois (away feed) N/A 3:30PMET XM 144
Penn State @ Illinois (home feed) N/A 3:30PMET XM 196
Ohio State @ Indiana N/A 7:00PMET XM 196

Game times and broadcast schedule are subject to change.

So maybe things have changed for the better?:)

I guess we'll hear on Saturday!

Great news, thanks Iceland!! It will be nice to hear the play-by-play instead of the complaining on the "official" game thread; I did that versus Cal and it was a complete ?itch session.

a question for the Canadians....

Have you noticed much difference on TSN since ESPN/ABC/Disney bought them? I know they use ESPN's graphics package for their sportscenter, any other changes?

Have you noticed much difference on TSN since ESPN/ABC/Disney bought them? I know they use ESPN's graphics package for their sportscenter, any other changes?

I haven't really. It's the same garbage constantly. If it isn't hockey, it's then poker, NASCAR (which is OK), Tennis, golf or curling.

Oh, how I wish my satellite provider would get BTN. We currently are receiving a complimentary channel called CBSsports or something like that, but doesn't show any Big Ten games, only SEC or someone else, like Army vs ??, etc. There was some talk not too long ago about allowing ESPN to enter the TV market completely, but it seems to have fallen on the wayside.

Go Gophers
SK Gopher

Need to beat the badgers this week so I can needle my cousin (from MN, lives in MN, and Vikes season ticket holder), but UW alum and badger fan, yuck!. :(

Internet radio

You can get the game on internet radio, try freefootballradio

SK Gopher. I am guessing your reliance on a satelite provider means you live in rural Saskatchewan? I am so enjoying Big Ten network (in HD!) but the Gophers are on ESPN a fair bit this year.

Something I always thought about was buying a slingbox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox. Maybe you can get your cousin to hook it up.

I am shocked by how little Canadians care about NCAA football.

PS I am ok with TSN showing hockey and curling but cannot stand the NASCAR.

Thanks again for the info guys. The slingbox sounds interesting, I'll have to do some more digging on that and talk to my cousin.

Yes, rural SK.

I too find it surprising that few Canadians follow NCAA football and basketball.

I should have prefaced my comments about TSN programming by stating that if they didn't show hockey not many other channels would, and it is a hockey crazy country. I like watching curling, but the games just seem to go on forever, which makes it difficult for me (we do have our oldest son in curling lessons at the moment). There is a battle in our house about watching sports that I enjoy and sports that my wife enjoys (curling, figure skating, skiiing, etc). Grew up with racing, since my dad and uncles all raced stockcars, so it's in my blood I suppose. We also do a fantasy NASCAR league with all of my cousins back in the US.

Go Gophers
SK Gopher

When they play at home, you have to listen to Dave Lee. When the realization sets in that you not only have no idea what is happening on the field but you're actually paying to torture yourself in this manner, it can be quite depressing.

I had seen some of this talk recently and didn't really get it because I always liked Dave Lee on 'CCO in the morning. He needs to improve a lot in terms of his football call. I listened to the NW game and was really disappointed. I don't think he's ever listened to himself. The most noticeable problem is the delay in getting pertinent information.

There was an underthrown third down ball to Decker in the flat and Lee just says 'short'. It was like three seconds later when he gets around to telling you the pass was incomplete (underthrown) rather than caught and the runner was tackled short of the marker. This is o.k. for TV but not for Radio. You have to remember you listener can't see what you see - Lee doesn't.

Top Bottom