Same story: Insight Bowl/2008 Season

tjgesquire

Team Ginger
Reaction score
That game really summed up our season.
Offensively, starts out great. Then Dunbar seems to get lost in his Encyclopedia-like playbook. I would like to get rid of him ASAP. When he was at Northwestern, you could always count on him doing the same thing. Our secondary was always bad and NW would exploit it for the 1st quarter or so, then something would happen and they wouldn't really do much the rest of the game. Same story here. If we are going to stick to the spread you either need a QB that can pick apart a secondary with a great arm or one who is very quick and can make people miss when on the run. (Gray could be the answer there)
The O-line is not very good, but there are things you can do (i.e. get rid of the ball quickly) to make it less of an issue. Kansas' O-line isn't very good either, but their QB gets rid of the ball and he is able to make plays when the pocket collapses.
Weber's two worst attributes are his pocket prescence and that he tends to lock onto his targets too early in essence shrinking the field in half for the defense. He does well on called runs and the option. He will definitely be splitting time with Gray next season. Weber just doesn't look as natural at the position as most QBs I've seen during the bowl season.
Bennett and Whaley are probably the only RBs that will get meaningfull playing time next season IMO. Hopefully Lipscomb is as good as advertised.
Kansas did a good job of getting our defense in space. Campbell and Theret looked like Bambi on ice when singled out in coverage. Really need help at LB and I think Lawrence will be the only returning LB to start in '09.
CBs are so much better than in the past it's hard to criticize them, but Sherels looked bad during the bowl game for some reason. Both corners had great years.
T-Brock is a stud, best signee of the '08 class. Ced McKinley looked good too, may pick up slack for WVD leaving.
With all that said, there is much more to look forward to in '09 than I can ever really remember in the past.

I like Theret but it appears he is not fast enough to stay in the play. If he makes a mistake he
just can't recover from it. He still loves to hit when he gets the chance.

Good observation. People in that position can only be effective with recovery speed and Theret appears not to have it. It's what Brewster keeps talkinging about; speed, swiftness and, oh yeah, running fast.

The guys should make like ROCKY and start chasing chickens to get faster!!

WE NEED SOME GREASY FAST ITALIAN LIGHTNING SPEED!

SPEED! WE NEED SPEED!

The Big Ten should dump the Insight Bowl unless the Insight Bowl dumps the NFL Network. Why should college fans have to get the NFL network?

The first two drives were the most fun I had watching the Gophers on offense all season. I-formation, good play action, even snuck a stretch play in there. We just weren't good enough up front to maintain it.

Watching Kansas complete pass after pass to Briscoe and Meier over the middle of the field highlighted a weakness in our linebacking. We need a lot more speed there.

As you said, hopefully Lipscomb is as good as advertised, or Bennett fully recovers and continues to progress as much as he seemingly did in the first 5 or 6 quarters of this season. Nothing more to add on the immense disappointment that was the O-line this season, other than expectations for Carufel are going to be very high.

>>The first two drives were the most fun I had watching the Gophers on offense all season.<<

Agreed. Then the Kansas coaches adjusted and the game's result was never again in doubt.

Top Bottom