Sam Maresh will enjoy playing for coach Cosgrove.

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
Fellow linebacker Maresh playing for another linebacker. They will understand each other quite well and coach Cosgrove is going to enjoy coaching the "beast" in the middle. Coach Cosgrove want's to be a Gopher and that is good for us.
I'm willing to bet right now that for all of the "crap" and BS that has already been
tossed at coach Cosgrove the next "new" co-defensive coordinator, that he is going to be one motivated football coach that can't wait to get to work and help this Gopher defense achieve even better. The "D" has just started to scratch the surface on being good and building a program. All he has to do is show up in the room with his "Rose Bowl" rings and say look gentleman "This is what it look's like, we play in the Big 10 conference and this is what we play for every day". Which is a lot more than I can say for the rest of us yayhoos. Coach Cosgrove walk's in a room and he has credibility.
Talent and quality does not leave an individual even if they have run into adversity and struggled through some difficult times in another coaching spot. Some time's it is good to have friends that can help you on a comeback.They say it is tough to teach an old dog new tricks but I am going to go out on a limb and say that coach Cosgrove and coach Lee working together are going to make this Gopher defense a tough bunch, they will be physical and they will attack the spread and have a "some wrinkles and some suprises that will work" The Gophers are starting to get athletes to play good defense, now they need to just keep bringing them in and keep some coaches. I think the players are going to like the "Cos" even if Husker fans hate the guy. Color me as a guy that say's Brewster is right about this guy and he will be a good coach for the Gophers. Players play. Husker fans can bite it, Cosgrove is a good football coach.

I can't see it as a bad hire in anyway shape or form. And as you point out it has the potential of being the perfect hire. I think we've got him for at least three years if not the rest his career. He could be the stability we've been sorely missing.

I'm on board for this hire, as well. Since he spent 14 years in Wisconsin, I'm hoping that is an indication that he won't be using this job as a stepping stone for something else (i.e. Phil Roof).

That is one of my favorite things about Cosgrove - he spent 14 years in Wisconsin. The man has loyalty.

I get the sense that people are saying a coach must not be ambitious (read: inferior) if he isn't hunting for the next step up on the ladder the day he arrives on campus. I don't think ambition and loyalty are mutually exclusive - who says that Cosgrove doesn't aspire to be the best DC out there, and doesn't care a lick about a HC job? Thoughts?

When is the last time we had an all conference linebacker?

is it too early for the FIRE COSGROVE chant? I might start it every time I pass by the new stadium.

I think there is a redemptive element to this job for Cosgrove. What that means once he's successful isn't as clear to me. The fact that he moved from Wiscy to Nebraska says something. Now I don't know the issues surrounding that decision so it might be easily explained away.

When is the last time we had an all conference linebacker?

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I think Ben West might have been a 2nd team All Big Ten selection back in about 2002 or 2003.

I wrote this in another thread about Ronnie Wingo, Jr. but if we get Wingo and he ends up moving to LB (most schools recruited him as a LB) we would probably be lining up 3 4-star LBers with Keanon Cooper, Sam Maresh, and Ronnie Wingo, Jr. Two of those guys 40 times are in the 4.4-4.45 range which is DB speed. If all three are as good as projected I would put that LB corp up against anybody in the Big Ten. Getting an established DC/LB coach like Cosgrove should really help develop the talent at that position.

I think there is a redemptive element to this job for Cosgrove. What that means once he's successful isn't as clear to me. The fact that he moved from Wiscy to Nebraska says something. Now I don't know the issues surrounding that decision so it might be easily explained away.

I know that part of the reason that he went to Nebraska was because he was really close friends with Callahan. I know they were freshman year roommates together in college at Illinois Benedictine College as well as both had worked together at Wisconsin in the past. I also believe he got a pay raise from Wisconsin to Nebraska. I am assuming he also knew at that time that he wasn't going to get the head job at Wisconsin when Alvarez moved into the A.D. role.

Sam Maresh will enjoy playing for coach Cosgrove

I will enjoy playing with myself.

It's win-win.

Top Bottom