Salt Lake Tribune: Minnesota football players make proper decision, in the end

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Kragthorpe:

When the news came that University of Minnesota football players were threatening to boycott the Holiday Bowl following the school's suspension of 10 teammates, I wondered: What part of a week in San Diego don't they understand?

Other, more serious questions also came to mind as I studied what was behind their stance, namely: What part of sexual assault don't they understand?

The Gophers' issue may have been the worst basis of protest in sports history. The players were upset that their teammates were being punished for acts that the legal system overlooked. But they collectively changed their attitudes when they learned of the details in the 80-page report of the university's investigation, and decided to play next week vs. Washington State.

Minnesota's players got it right, with the media's help. Clearly, the Gophers couldn't have withstood the criticism that came even before the report's release, and would have intensified afterward.

The entire episode was embarrassing to Minnesotans — and anyone named Kragthorpe has deep ties to the state and, naturally, the flagship college athletic program.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4730418-155/kragthorpe-minnesota-football-players-make-proper

Go Gophers!!

per Kragthorpe:

When the news came that University of Minnesota football players were threatening to boycott the Holiday Bowl following the school's suspension of 10 teammates, I wondered: What part of a week in San Diego don't they understand?

Other, more serious questions also came to mind as I studied what was behind their stance, namely: What part of sexual assault don't they understand?

The Gophers' issue may have been the worst basis of protest in sports history. The players were upset that their teammates were being punished for acts that the legal system overlooked. But they collectively changed their attitudes when they learned of the details in the 80-page report of the university's investigation, and decided to play next week vs. Washington State.

Minnesota's players got it right, with the media's help. Clearly, the Gophers couldn't have withstood the criticism that came even before the report's release, and would have intensified afterward.

The entire episode was embarrassing to Minnesotans — and anyone named Kragthorpe has deep ties to the state and, naturally, the flagship college athletic program.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4730418-155/kragthorpe-minnesota-football-players-make-proper

Go Gophers!!

Terrible take on the Missouri protest and the U of M's.

There are no more people in the world. Just topics that everyone has a take on and they just plaster their thoughts on the topic over people....

It's sad that the news media does not do its homework by getting the facts. Wolitarsky has two typed up responses for the reason they boycotted and ended there boycott. How hard is it to find the transcripts online? Plus Claeys had an interview last night to clarify the football teams stance. A little effort and this guy would actually sound more intelligent but I guess he was more worried about his point of view.

Lord knows when I need guidance on a difficult subject I turn to the salt lake tribune

Top Bottom