Sagarin's 2012 ratings

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Gophers check in at #82 in the initial rankings, which should be taken with a grain of salt and are really nothing more than a talking point as it takes several weeks for all the teams to get connected.

That said, the opponents:

UNLV #140
New Hampshire #97
Western Michigan #86
Syracuse #79

Iowa #29
Northwestern #62
Wisconsin #11
Purdue #72
Michigan #27
Illinois #55
Nebraska #20
Michigan State #24

Games in bold are games where the formula says we should be favored.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

And of course, each game we win will raise our Sagarin rating. Not that it actually matters, but it is fun. The rating fell through the floor with the NMSU loss last season.

Minnesota should be about 60..... NDSU is 80 but how does Montana get 77? Sagarin confuses me.

And of course, each game we win will raise our Sagarin rating. Not that it actually matters, but it is fun. The rating fell through the floor with the NMSU loss last season.

Most definitely. Following the USC loss the formula had us going 5-7 (2-6) (the loss bumped us up quite a bit), but following the NMSU loss it had us going 2-10 (0-8). The reality of course ended up in the middle.

Minnesota should be about 60..... NDSU is 80 but how does Montana get 77? Sagarin confuses me.
*Obligatory comment about how nobody here cares about NDSU*

My prediction for the year is 5-7, so that looks about right to me. I'm a little surprised to see New Hampshire that high.

I remember several years ago, the Sagarin ratings has this wierd thing for Cal-Davis, back when they were D-II (they are FCS now). Cal-Davis kept making the list, and were the only D-II team on it. For some reason, the formula just caught them up.

gopherproof. opps I forgot about that obligatory line. sorry! I said Minnesota should be about 60, NDSU about 70.

Cal Davis would play a FBS like stanford or washington state and get their ranking up really high.

I think Iowa at 29 is grossly overrated. Sagarin even says that his system doesn't get up to speed, until after the fourth game ,when then have washed out all of the previous years data.

This was back before Cal-Davis was D-II, before they made the move to the FCS. I don't think they were playing BCS schools then, D-II schools don't count towards bowl elligibility. There was just something weird about Sagarin back then.

Preseason sag ratings are not good, they look a lot better by about mid season. At that point if there is gap in rating of more than 8-10 theres a good chance you'll know who wins the game.

Top Bottom