Rutgers Prepares for Back-up QB - North Jersey.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
To flip the numbers on the scoreboard Saturday, Rutgers will need to build on a decent defensive performance against Illinois last week. The Scarlet Knights limited the Illini to 320 yards of offense but were undone by two big plays that set up touchdowns.

Illinois used backup quarterback Chayce Crouch in place of injured starter Wes Lunt. Coincidentally, the Golden Gophers likely will play a backup signal caller against the Scarlet Knights, too. Starter Mitch Leidner, the 2015 Quick Lane Bowl MVP, missed Minnesota’s win over Maryland last week because of a concussion. He has returned to practice on a limited basis this week but is expected to miss this game.

Walk-on Conor Rhoda went 7-for-15 for 82 yards and one touchdown in the win over the Terrapins and will start again, barring something unexpected. Minnesota rushed for 229 yards in its win over Maryland.

Hamilton was asked if it is difficult to prepare for two quarterbacks, just in case Leidner is cleared to play.

"Not really," he replied. "We’ve got to stay true to our keys. They want to hit you in the mouth in the run game, and as a defensive line we have to be ready for that."

Hamilton said his father, Keith, was happy with his uniform switch from No. 91 to 75, his dad’s number with the NFL’s Giants. Hamilton didn’t tell his father before doing it.

"He was happy, man," Hamilton said. "I don’t think much was said. That’s just the kind of guy my dad is. Everyone told me that when he came in [to the stadium], he was pretty happy about it."

HAMPTON’S RETURN: Starting free safety Saquan Hampton was back in the lineup against Illinois after missing five consecutive games with an injury.

He was credited with four tackles against the Illini, but missed a tackle on a 61-yard catch-and-carry by Illinois’ Ke’Shawn Vaughn. The play set up a touchdown.

"It’s been a long process getting healthy," he said Wednesday in his first interview since returning. "I’m obviously excited to be back.

"There was a little bit of rust I had to shake off [from] not being out there," he added. "[I’m] just getting used to the speed again, but everything should be fine."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/c...r-makes-pitch-to-potential-recruits-1.1680298

Top Bottom