Rutgers has named Athan Kaliakmanis the starting QB. Rutgers QB Gavin Wimsatt, who started 18 games the last two years announces he's transferring

Well, on one hand I don't see anything scary in AK for opposing teams. On the other hand, you could say that he has improved. He didn't air mail a single pass 12 yards over the head of his receiver on a 4 yard curl route. He didn't inexplicably cut outside and try to outrun a CB when he had a sure (game clinching) first down by diving straight ahead. He didn't have 30% of his passes batted down at the LOS. He didn't throw six yards behind anybody on slant route, which forced his receiver to absolutely get lit up. So... is he a good BIG QB? No. Has he improved? I guess so, based solely on the above criteria.

No P5 coach should make a decision on this kind of criteria. I'd be pissed if I found out my OC let one QB walk and kept the other for this reasoning.

You have a higher opinion of Man than I do. I’d be shocked if vanity weren’t at least a teeny tiny piece of this. He’s Italian for cripes sake.

He'll do better there and Rutgers will continue improvement.

Rutgers has about as QB-friendly schedule as one could hope for in the new Big Ten so he’ll get every opportunity. KC/Schiano have a good track record but I mean, surely some fans are wondering if they know what they’re doing here.

well with this tape I cant imagine he's going to be swimming in offers. woof.
There is no way that Rutgers did not have a better option after watching his tape from last season, and yet here he is, starting in the B1G again.

There is no way that Rutgers did not have a better option after watching his tape from last season, and yet here he is, starting in the B1G again.
You have to fail before you succeed, right? PJism that might apply here.

Disagree. Rutgers schedule tougher this year
4-8 or 5-7 is my guess
They replaced Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State with UCLA, Washington, and USC in 2024. You consider that a tougher schedule?

I'd say its easier or even.

Last edited:

Has completed less than 50% of his passes in his career.

But did rush for 497 yards and 11 TDs in 2023.
And if you watch the above, you can understand how AK won the job.....almost by default.

You have to fail before you succeed, right? PJism that might apply here.
Yeah, I mean, I believe that players improve. And he well might, but he has had bad ball placement every time I have watched him play in college and it looks like Rutgers hasn’t fixed that.

I didn’t understand why people liked him at MN and I still don’t understand why people like him at Rutgers.

They replaced Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State with UCLA, Washington, and USC in 2024. You consider that a tougher schedule?

I'd say it’s easier or even.
Well of the 6 teams you just listed UCLA is the only one I give them a chance against. So replacing Ohio state and Penn state with USC and Washington matters less than replacing the teams they beat last year:

Virginia Tech with @ Virginia tech
Michigan state with @ Michigan state
@ indiana with @ Nebraska
Northwestern week 1 with a new coach vs Illinois at end of season

It’s an easier schedule to go 10-2 against
It’s a harder schedule to go 6-6 against

If that makes sense

Last edited:

Some pretty bad throws in there and zero pressure on him.
I had the opposite take on AK. I agree he had some bad throws for sure. But he had more "pretty" throws than bad.
He is throwing with a smooth overhand motion. I didn't see the sidearm motion he used last year.
Almost every vertical route throw is nice. Almost every lateral route throw is cover your eyes.

I had the opposite take on AK. I agree he had some bad throws for sure. But he had more "pretty" throws than bad.
He is throwing with a smooth overhand motion. I didn't see the sidearm motion he used last year.
Almost every vertical route throw is nice. Almost every lateral route throw is cover your eyes.
Meh, looks exactly the same to me as when he was here. Not sure why he would change all that much. He’s always been pretty accurate on the ten yard button hooks. The last td was a nice touch pass which he has struggled with in the past. The first deep ball was fine but a little under thrown, guy had several steps on the defender. AK really struggled on the short and long passes with us.

Meh, looks exactly the same to me as when he was here. Not sure why he would change all that much. He’s always been pretty accurate on the ten yard button hooks. The last td was a nice touch pass which he has struggled with in the past. The first deep ball was fine but a little under thrown, guy had several steps on the defender. AK really struggled on the short and long passes with us.
I agree but we kept trotting him out there game after game like ground hog day.

Top Bottom