Rumors aplenty that KU will fire Mangino soon

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
For those who haven't heard, several Kansas players went to the AD and/or press with reports of Mangino physically abusing them. Apparently, Mangino's temper is a well-documented and well-known issue in Kansas. The latest happened when they were boarding their plane for Colorado last week and he was verbally tearing into a player who than made the mistake of talking back... the rumor is that assistant coaches had to restrain Mangino.

Of course a 5-game losing streak always amplifies these sort of things.

Here is a link to their scout board in full meltdown mode: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2485

For those who haven't heard, several Kansas players went to the AD and/or press with reports of Mangino physically abusing them. Apparently, Mangino's temper is a well-documented and well-known issue in Kansas. The latest happened when they were boarding their plane for Colorado last week and he was verbally tearing into a player who than made the mistake of talking back... the rumor is that assistant coaches had to restrain Mangino.

Of course a 5-game losing streak always amplifies these sort of things.

Here is a link to their scout board in full meltdown mode: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2485

It could have been a simple mistake that the player got in between Mangino and that post game rack of ribs.

It could have been a simple mistake that the player got in between Mangino and that post game rack of ribs.

I skimmed the board over there, is this seriously over a poke in a players chest? And someone mentioned he grabbed a player by the facemask? Is that not allowed? Quite frankly unless he literally hit a kid, this is over the top bad. Any insight?

Man, that is an interesting, well-written article. I would be careful to assume that all of Mangino's problems are weight related. Had the writer known Mangino before he was overweight, and Mangino was a different person, then maybe the writer would have a stronger argument. Are all obese people depressed? Do no normal weight people live depressed, dark and angry lives? Sounds like a sad/bad situation in Lawrence.

not only Mangino, but according to Mike Wilbon via the Scott Van Pelt show, RichRod and Weis are as good as gone after the season. I guess the boosters are not happy. Hard to believe it with all the Brewster bitchin' on this site but Brew did have a better second year than Rich with less talented players, just sayin'

Mangino has treated athletic department administrators poorly since the day he got to Lawrence - literally, the day he got there he berated a female SID. Much to many ADs chagrin, they usually put up with this crap when times are good, but when times are bad, the rope is a lot shorter than if said coach treated people with respect, which Mangino rarely does.

This isn't just once incident, and if he gets fired, it won't be because of one disappointing season.

Go Gophers!!

Firing RichRod now would be one of the dumbest coaching decisions of all time. The man has proven he can sustain a top ten program. Then again, maybe Michigan can fall into forty years of obscurity....

I'm tired of all these arm chair quarterbacks and wanting to fire coach after coach. You heard rumors all over the place at Pitt calling for Wanstedts head his first 3 years as well. How is he working out for them now?

I don't know what scUM expects. Inserting a new system is tough. Even tougher (and straight up stupid) to change it back.

We'll see how this thing with Mangino pans out, but apparently many of his players absolutely loathe playing for him because of the verbal abuse they endure on a constant basis.

I shudder to think what a "bad" temper would be in college football circles.

On any given day, a typical coach would have 99 out 100 people crying within 2 minutes.

The verbal intimidation is only for the select few. I would say on most college football rosters 75% of the players live in mortal terror. This is hard to understand for many people--there are many, many miserable kids in uniforms.

I've repeatedly told the story of my friend who was captain of a national championship team. Just hearing the name of the old ball coach makes him sweat at night. And one could eat the other for breakfast.

We'll see how this thing with Mangino pans out, but apparently many of his players absolutely loathe playing for him because of the verbal abuse they endure on a constant basis.

If recruiting collapses as a result, he's gone unless the AD/admin are really stupid.

On any given day, a typical coach would have 99 out 100 people crying within 2 minutes.

The verbal intimidation is only for the select few. I would say on most college football rosters 75% of the players live in mortal terror. This is hard to understand for many people--there are many, many miserable kids in uniforms.

I've repeatedly told the story of my friend who was captain of a national championship team. Just hearing the name of the old ball coach makes him sweat at night. And one could eat the other for breakfast.

Serious question Studwell. Is there any program that you're aware where this doesn't happen on a regular basis?

Fairly or Unfairly

This is always the image I conjure up whenever I see Mangino. From the very good, and most disturbing, "SE7EN" . . .

17238__seven_l.jpg

Best T-Shirt I saw at the Insight bowl last year on a KU fan:

"Our coach can eat your coach."

Studwell I'm not sure about the validity of your percentages, but I think that the gist of your message is accurate. I tutored football players at the U of South Carolina in the '80's. Their DC at the time was a guy named Tom Gadd (later coached for Gutey). The players were scared to death of him. At a tutor training session the director told us that somedays these kids minds are going to be a million miles away, perhaps because they had been screamed at by Gadd in a recent practice. I think that another factor possibly making D1 football a miserable experience was that these kids were told when to eat, sleep, study, practice, .... they had little time for themselves. On the other hand, I played DIII football (a different universe of the pressures / expectations at D1 schools) for a couple of years and had a ton of fun.

This sounds pretty bad to me.

Ex-players: Coach said 'hurtful' things
By Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Former Kansas football players are speaking out about an investigation into allegations coach Mark Mangino has verbally abused or had inappropriate physical contact with players.

Former Jayhawks linebacker Mike Rivera, who plays for the Tennessee Titans, said Wednesday night he could not speak about the allegations. He plans to have a formal interview on the matter with representatives from Kansas in the next few days.

But five of Rivera's former teammates said they were not surprised by the investigation launched by athletic director Lew Perkins. And some relayed personal experiences with Mangino.

Former Kansas wide receiver Raymond Brown, a senior last season, said Mangino would often "say personal, hurtful, embarrassing things in front of people."

[+] EnlargeMark Mangino
Peter G. Aiken/Getty ImagesMark Mangino's methods are being investigated by Kansas.

Brown cited two examples. He said that once, his younger brother had been shot in the arm in St. Louis. Then came a game.

"I dropped a pass and [Mangino] was mad," Brown said. "And I said, 'Yes, sir. Yes, sir.' The yelling didn't bother me. But then he said, 'Shut up!' He said, 'If you don't shut up, I'm going to send you back to St. Louis so you can get shot with your homies.' I was irate. I wanted to hurt him to be honest with you."

Brown said another teammate had confided in the team that his father was an alcoholic and the player dreamed of becoming a lawyer.

"One day, [Mangino] said in front of the entire team, 'Are you going to be a lawyer or do you want to become an alcoholic like your Dad?' " Brown said.

Said former Kansas wide receiver Marcus Herford, also a senior last season: "I remember that. Very vividly. [Mangino] would take your personal business and he would attack you with it. There's nothing wrong with being a disciplinarian. But there is a way to handle your players and keep them motivated. His way was to demotivate you and make you feel as low as you can go."

Herford said he was not surprised by the allegation Mangino had poked senior linebacker Arist Wright in the chest at a walk-through prior to the Oct. 17 Colorado game.

"I remember one time he grabbed [former offensive lineman] Anthony Collins and Anthony threw his arm down," Herford said. "I mean, to put your hands on another man? There is no reason to ever do that. And Anthony was very angry. Mangino was screaming. And Anthony was like, 'You're not going to do me like that.' "

Said Brown: "I don't know if poking and grabbing is physical abuse. Sometimes Mangino maybe goes over the edge. I have seen him run up to a player and push a player. Sometimes he gets in your face and you feel like, 'OK, now you're in my bubble.'"

Big 12 blog

Griffin ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

Former Kansas linebacker Joe Mortensen, who was a captain on last year's team, said "[Mangino] was ruthless, to be honest with you."

"What goes around, comes around," Mortensen said. "We were afraid if we said something he would hurt us with the [pro] scouts. But these incidents were day after day after day for years. And now it's finally coming out."

Mortensen said Mangino told him he had been a bad friend to someone who had died. And that Mangino would repeatedly bring up his public intoxication citation.

"He told me he'd send me back to Oakland where I could be drinking out of a brown paper bag," Mortensen said. "He told me, 'You were a s---- friend to someone I knew that passed away.' He called me a bum. He showed me no respect. He told me he'd send me back to the ghetto. I'm not a victim. I'm a grown man. I never let Mangino get to me. But you know what? I'm not bitter. I loved KU and I never let him break me."

Said former Kansas running back Jocques Crawford, who played one season before transferring to Tennessee Tech: "Every other day, he'd get in somebody's face and be pushing them on the shoulder pads. He tried to provoke us to get us to snap. His whole motto was to 'break you down to build you up.' One time I felt he'd gone to far with Mike [Rivera.]"

Crawford said he left, in part, because, "I felt disgraced by my coach."

"At halftime, he could pick out players one by one and talk about their flaws," Crawford said. "He got to me and he says, 'We have a guy on the team that says he's going to rush for 2,000 yards and he's not shown me s---. After I arrived, players told me, 'You have two weeks until you see the real Mangino come out.' Some of the things he would say or do were totally outrageous."

"He'd say things like, 'I'll send you back to the street corner where you came from,' " Herford said.

"He'd say, 'This is Kansas, you're not back home,' " Crawford said. "He'd say, 'You're not back with your homies. If you're not careful you'll be watching the game in the stands with your homies. You'll be back in that neighborhood.' "

Former Kansas defensive lineman Russell Brorsen said that though he's "not surprised that people are coming out of the woodwork now," he believes Mangino is a "hard-nosed, demanding, disciplinarian."

"I'm not going to deny that some of those things didn't happen," Brorsen said. "But I think part of the problem here is you have four or five years worth of stuff hitting the fan within a period of three or four days. I think [Mangino] could get pretty intense. And I think there was swearing. But my personal opinion is it's not much worse than what you would get at another university."

Said Herford: "Everything the players have been going through, for years, in my opinion, has been covered up by the winning. If somebody was to bring it up, they would have said, 'Well, it's working, because you're winning.' We've seen this all along. His coaching style has never been accepted by his players. It's just now, it's blowing up."

As the investigation continues, Mangino told reporters Wednesday night that he expects to coach against No. 2 Texas on Saturday.

"I have not done anything that's inappropriate," Mangino said. "I have been in this conference for nearly 20 years, and what I can tell you is that our coaching intensity does not largely differ from the other Big Eight and Big 12 teams that I have observed. We have handled this program in terms of intensity and holding players accountable the same since 2002 to today. Nothing's changed. Absolutely nothing has changed."

Mortensen said he plans to speak with Perkins. "Mangino should step back and formally apologize to many people," he said. "He should should check his attitude. Honestly, I feel he needs help."

(1) The ghost of Woodie Hayes just tore up a downmarker and clotheslined an opposing player in the great beyond.

(2) Mangino can always become a contestent on NBC's "The Biggest Loser."

(3) I'm really old. When I was in high school and "The Flying Wedge" was replaced by the Single Wing, our coaches would berate us all the time. Name the sport. I'm not calling these guys soft because I wasn't there to observe it (and Mangino seems like kind of a jerk, but maybe I'm just being "anti-fatness"), but outside of the obvious cruelty of some of the comments (and bringing up an alcoholic father or dead friend is both cruel and over any line of decency), I'd be surprised if a lot of coaches don't push guys around a bit.

Top Bottom