Rules Question pertaining to a non-call during NW game

GopherCountry

Reaction score
I'm a passionate gopher fan and am still somewhat upset by the loss on Saturday. I have a rules question and wanted to know if anyone knows the answer.

Scenario: MN just made a basket and NW was trying to in-bound the basketball. Prior to getting a 5 second call, NW called a timeout. After the timeout, NW was allowed to run the baseline in order to in-bound the basketball. I was in attendance Saturday and while the NW player (Cobb I think) was running the baseline I was screaming "travel!". I was under the impression that the timeout negated the ability to run the baseline and was a spot through-in since NW took possession of the basketball. If NW called a timeout immediately after the made basket, running the baseline still would be allowed.

Thoughts? Anyone know the college rule?

I did talk to a local HS coach who I know and they agreed with me in that the NW player traveled. Maybe a difference between the HS game and college?? Not sure.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a passionate gopher fan and am still somewhat upset by the loss on Saturday. I have a rules question and wanted to know if anyone knows the answer.

Scenario: MN just made a basket and NW was trying to in-bound the basketball. Prior to getting a 5 second call, NW called a timeout. After the timeout, NW was allowed to run the baseline in order to in-bound the basketball. I was in attendance Saturday and while the NW player (Cobb I think) was running the baseline I was screaming "travel!". I was under the impression that the timeout negated the ability to run the baseline and was a spot through-in since NW took possession of the basketball. If NW called a timeout immediately after the made basket, running the baseline still would be allowed.

Thoughts? Anyone know the college rule?

I did talk to a local HS coach who I know and they agreed with me in that the NW player traveled. Maybe a difference between the HS game and college?? Not sure.

Thanks in advance.

The rule was enforced correctly. If the ball can be run along the baseline after a made basket, the time out does not negate ball status.

Your HS coach is also mistaken.

Yes, the HS coach is wrong. A timeout immediately after a made basket does NOT negate the ability to run the baseline on the ensuing throw-in.

And it's not a travel. It's an inbound violation.

Yes, the HS coach is wrong. A timeout immediately after a made basket does NOT negate the ability to run the baseline on the ensuing throw-in.

And it's not a travel. It's an inbound violation.

But the referee signal for both are the same.

perhaps your coach friend is thinking about the scenario when you inbound the ball and are trapped and forced to call a TO immediately after a made basket?

perhaps your coach friend is thinking about the scenario when you inbound the ball and are trapped and forced to call a TO immediately after a made basket?

That is probably it, upnorth. It all depends on the status of the ball when the time out is taken.

OK, let's go back in time when the Basketball Court had the old red restraining line which was 3 feet inbounds from the Out of Bounds line.

Throw in guy could use that 3 foot space on throw in. The restraining line was like an out of bounds line. Anyone remember those days?

But the referee signal for both are the same.

No, it's not. There is no signal for an inbound violation other than blowing the whistle with an open hand up.

No, it's not. There is no signal for an inbound violation other than blowing the whistle with an open hand up.

Open hand is up, indicating a violation, yes. Then travel signal follows.

OK, let's go back in time when the Basketball Court had the old red restraining line which was 3 feet inbounds from the Out of Bounds line.

Throw in guy could use that 3 foot space on throw in. The restraining line was like an out of bounds line. Anyone remember those days?

I do but I thought that was only on certain courts where there was too little out of bounds space.

Does that make me old?

Open hand is up, indicating a violation, yes. Then travel signal follows.

If you would bother to look at the chart enclosed with the rule book, the traveling signal is NOT used for inbound violations.

I do but I thought that was only on certain courts where there was too little out of bounds space.

Does that make me old?

No, not old. just experienced. And you are correct about things being "too little out of bounds space".

Hell, I remember playing on courts so small that the over and back lines were in the back court. Things have changed, right???

Dr. Don gopher rock is correct there is no travel signal after that throw in violation. Have a few guys used it because the don't the proper mechanic. But by rule it is open hand up.. we have a throw in violation.

Its fun to see rules questions that the average fan and average coach don't really know. I am glad people ask those questions instead of just thinking there are correct.

And that was a foul on Dre to end the game... actually pretty easy call that the ref just decided he was going to eat his whistle.

Dr. Don gopher rock is correct there is no travel signal after that throw in violation. Have a few guys used it because the don't the proper mechanic. But by rule it is open hand up.. we have a throw in violation.

While I may agree with you, hoops...the whole thing is moot. What matters is the calls made are correct. That is what matters. I don't care about the signal. Just call it right.

One way to think of it is that the time out extends the time for inbounding the ball by another 5 seconds. It does not change the nature of the inbound play (either post-basket or not).

Top Bottom