Rubbing your meat

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I know it's the dead of winter but it's never a bad time to talk about smoking meat or grilling meat on the wood pellet smoker or your grill.

First things first, what's your favorite meat for doing a little slow cooking on the smoker (or even the grill if that's your thing)? I know brisket is a popular choice but for me, the payoff just isn't quite worth all the time and effort. I like brisket, but the prep time and doing a 12-13 hour smoke or however you choose to do it, it's not worth it for me.

I like baby back ribs, nothing special, just a 3-2-1 method of smoking, love how they come out. I like a good pork shoulder/pork butt for doing some pulled pork also, may even try that tomorrow.

Secondly, has anyone ever tried one of the high-end online meat ordering places (like Omaha Steaks, just way way better)? The two that come to mind are Crowd Cow and Snake River Farms. I hadn't heard of either until recently. Had some odd distant relative, just kind of out of the blue, send us a package from Crowd Cow that included a selection of spices and hot sauce and a $450 chunk of Kagoshima Wagyu prime rib. Not sure I would ever drop $450+ on a chunk of meat like that for myself but I will say, after having it last weekend, it was off the charts incredible.

So I got a wild hair to get a package of meat from Snake River Farms (a client/buddy told me they supply most of the major barbecue/smoking competitions); I got some rib eyes, some NY strips, some spare ribs and a massive chunk of pork shoulder. Haven't tried any of it yet. Anyone tried any of these higher end meat places? I'm anxious to see how some of it is. I have a really decent butcher I go to here that has great stuff so I don't know that I have the really serious NEED for it, but I wanted to try it anyway.

Not as often as I used to, I'm glad it still functions at this point.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say that I used to be "prolific" but in a contest not long ago with a very impressive field of competitors, I once finished 1st, 3rd and tied for 7th

Now that I have kids, I just don't have the time or privacy to dedicate 3 hours to it.

For the record (back to the actual OP), the Wagyu New York strips were some kind of crazy off the charts good. Damn. For the price they better be but holy shit, helluva steak.

Top Bottom