Rouser during games

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
I attended Clem Haskins' basketball camp back in the day. We were taught all of the words to The Rouser. I remember the entire camp singing the song a few times a day.

I watched the video of training camp day zero and saw the team singing all of the words as well.

How come we don't sing anything during the games except the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A part? I thought I remember singing the whole thing back in the Willie Burton days during bball. When did this drop? I would be nice to get the crowd singing the whole song. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many of the young guns even know it.

Most of the crowd does sing all the words. You just dont hear it as well because the band is playing loudly and the part you do hear, no band playing and it is the fun part to yell, not sing.

I attended Clem Haskins' basketball camp back in the day. We were taught all of the words to The Rouser. I remember the entire camp singing the song a few times a day.

I watched the video of training camp day zero and saw the team singing all of the words as well.

How come we don't sing anything during the games except the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A part? I thought I remember singing the whole thing back in the Willie Burton days during bball. When did this drop? I would be nice to get the crowd singing the whole song. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many of the young guns even know it.

Everyone I know and everyone I sit with does the whole Rouser every time. Including the Rah. Don't know what's happening in your area.

I went to Freshman Orientation in 1977 and we had to sing the Rouser over and over until we got it right. My Iowan niece just went to U of M Freshman Orientation last month and excitedly Facebooked that she had learned it as well! Go Gophers! Rah!

Maybe it is just my section then. I have always been adjacent to the student section and they sure don't sing it. Although I do hear the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A part loud and clear.

I haven't heard the whole song in Williams area for years.

Love singing the Rouser every time. The "Rah" is a Johnny-come-lately" add on that sounds just like what it is, an "add on". I'd say less than half the folks who do sing along even realize they added it. Drop it or don't, I think it sounds odd.

Love singing the Rouser every time. The "Rah" is a Johnny-come-lately" add on that sounds just like what it is, an "add on". I'd say less than half the folks who do sing along even realize they added it. Drop it or don't, I think it sounds odd.

Our whole group loves the "Rah" at the end. And we always make a point to yell that the loudest. We all started at the U in 01, and we have always been use to it. I think Jamie from Mariucci always says it at the end.

I have encouraged those around me to tip their cap, while singing the song. The true essence of the Rouser.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost sure the "rah" is pretty long-lived, and there are people who said its been in there for a few decades at least.

I graduated in '82 and "Rah" was not at the end of the song then.

Are there any POI guys on here to back this up? "RAH" at the end of Rouser was started by Jamie the hockey announcer in the late '90's. He brought it over to football when he started doing those games too in the mid '00's.
Personally, I liked it better when it was only Jamie saying it instead of the whole crowd. It went along nicely with his crowd interaction bits he's probably more free to do at hockey games than football.
To the OT, if you want people to sing around you, encourage them by singing loudly yourself.

Our whole group loves the "Rah" at the end. And we always make a point to yell that the loudest. We all started at the U in 01, and we have always been use to it. I think Jamie from Mariucci always says it at the end.

+1. I also like the Rah.

The Maharishi says...

...Embrace the Rah...it leads to gameday spiritual enlightenment...

...For it is written, the Rah will only come with the Rouser during regulation play after points have been earned. Points with the Rouser are good. Therefore, the Rah is good. Embrace the Rah.

Seriously though, I love the Rah and all in 212 know this to be the case.

Go Gophers! In Kill We Trust!

Never had a problem with folks singing / not singing the Rouser. We hear the whole thing.

It would be nice for the newer folks if they put up the lyrics to it up on the screen or something. It's always awkward looking for me and my uncle to be singing the Rouser and whomever we brought along with us to be standing next to us, clapping, pretending to know the words.

But either way, I don't see what the OP is talking about.

Never had a problem with folks singing / not singing the Rouser. We hear the whole thing.

It would be nice for the newer folks if they put up the lyrics to it up on the screen or something. It's always awkward looking for me and my uncle to be singing the Rouser and whomever we brought along with us to be standing next to us, clapping, pretending to know the words.

But either way, I don't see what the OP is talking about.

+1

Yes, it would be great if they used the 2nd (3rd?) largest scoreboard in college football to post the words to the Rouser when it's being played

We don't need the words on the screen for the rouser. It's such a simple song and you tend to sing/yell more loudly once you've taken the time to memorize it. maybe we could use words for the minnesota march and hail minnesota, but the rouser needs nothing but the band and the crowd. Also, since the rouser is over by the time you get your silly hockey "rah" in, I don't think it really merits debate of whether or not to do it.

I graduated in '82 and "Rah" was not at the end of the song then.

I swear I remember hearing that "Rah" was a part of the end of the song decades ago, phased out, and then was brought back. I do know there was a version recorded back in the 20s or 30s that ended with a "rah, rah, rah, rah, Min-ne-so-ta" chant (aka, the locomotive chant).

I went to the U back in the '70s. I vaguely remember the "RAH!" thing but cannot truthfully testify to it. That was during a few of my "lost" years.

Where's imthewalrus? He had to be around in the 40s :)

Fall of '82 was my first year on campus, and there was a small vocal minority, mostly students, trying to get the Rah going, and I've been doing it ever since. No stadium announcer with the reminder though.

I'll a big proponent of the Rah. It's been a part of the Rouser for decades, and I want it, and I want it loud!

Are there any POI guys on here to back this up? "RAH" at the end of Rouser was started by Jamie the hockey announcer in the late '90's. He brought it over to football when he started doing those games too in the mid '00's.
Personally, I liked it better when it was only Jamie saying it instead of the whole crowd. It went along nicely with his crowd interaction bits he's probably more free to do at hockey games than football.
To the OT, if you want people to sing around you, encourage them by singing loudly yourself.

The "rah" was part of basketball games I went to in the 70s. Then it faded away. Hockey guy might have reignited it, remembering it from an earlier time. But it didn't start with him.

Top Bottom