Round 1 = Star Tribune dominates Pioneer Press

Stan

Reaction score
I just grabbed both papers and I can't believe the difference in coverage of the tournament and Gophers. The Star Tribune has pages and pages devoted and the Pioneer Press has like 2. I see that the Star Tribune had Chip, Blount, Souhan all writing as well as Myron writing a couple articles and Shelman came back to write one. Meanwhile the Pioneer Press didn't bother to tell anyone other than Marcus that the Gophers got in and that there are games at the Dome this weekend. Weird.

Marcus is 10x better then Myron, but agreed that the overall coverage in the Strib is better.

I'm still boycotting the Pioneer Press after what they did to the Gophers 10 years ago. It is one thing to break a news story. However, it is another thing to have interviews set up with administrators, and then break the story on the day before the NCAA tournament starts and force them to decide whether or not to allow players to play without having time to investigate. Regardless of whether there was wrong doing in the program they forced innocent players (Sanford twins are one example) to watch their last college game from the bench. What if their information was inaccurate?

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box. But to me that is unethical journalism and it matters.

I'm still boycotting the Pioneer Press after what they did to the Gophers 10 years ago. It is one thing to break a news story. However, it is another thing to have interviews set up with administrators, and then break the story on the day before the NCAA tournament starts and force them to decide whether or not to allow players to play without having time to investigate. Regardless of whether there was wrong doing in the program they forced innocent players (Sanford twins are one example) to watch their last college game from the bench. What if their information was inaccurate?

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box. But to me that is unethical journalism and it matters.

Really? Come on...you think it would have been a much better situation had they broken the story a week earlier, or a week later? It was true...and as soon as a paper like the Pioneer Press broke the story, everyone should have known it was true. This wasn't a story about a coach getting fired, this was a story about one of the biggest academic scandals in the history of the NCAA. Where there's smoke, there is fire. And for the record, only one Stanford had to sit out that day.

It's a journalist's job to report. It's not their job to make sure it happens when it's convenient for everyone. You may not like that, and you may not agree with that, but it's how it works. Further, a newspaper's job is to sell newspapers. Again, you may not like that, but it's true. Put the two together, and they broke a huge story when they knew it would make national riptides. And it did.

In the end, everyone better remember that the academic scandal was created by the Gopher basketball team, their coach, and their staff, period. Continuing to kill the messenger is flat out ludicrous. The Pioneer Press didn't create the scandal; they just reported it.

Really? Come on...you think it would have been a much better situation had they broken the story a week earlier, or a week later? It was true...and as soon as a paper like the Pioneer Press broke the story, everyone should have known it was true. This wasn't a story about a coach getting fired, this was a story about one of the biggest academic scandals in the history of the NCAA. Where there's smoke, there is fire. And for the record, only one Stanford had to sit out that day.

It's a journalist's job to report. It's not their job to make sure it happens when it's convenient for everyone. You may not like that, and you may not agree with that, but it's how it works. Further, a newspaper's job is to sell newspapers. Again, you may not like that, but it's true. Put the two together, and they broke a huge story when they knew it would make national riptides. And it did.

In the end, everyone better remember that the academic scandal was created by the Gopher basketball team, their coach, and their staff, period. Continuing to kill the messenger is flat out ludicrous. The Pioneer Press didn't create the scandal; they just reported it.

ahhh.....i don't think that is an accurate statement. see Florida State circa 2009. what happened with the gophers doesn't even compare in scope to the florida state crap that has recently come to light. of course the ncaa probably won't punish fsu as much as they should which is complete BS!

Top Bottom