Roszell Gayden talks recruiting, wants to visit Minnesota and Cal, just visited Okla

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SuperPrep.com:

The 4-Star offensive tackle out of College of the Sequoias took in an official visit to Oklahoma last weekend and picked up an offer from the Sooners and Miami recently. To find out the main suitors at this time, read below.

"I have only been to Oklahoma so far, but I should be setting up some more visits pretty soon," added Roszell Gayden. "Miami also offered me last week, and both Miami and Oklahoma just started contacted me a couple of weeks ago. Things are getting pretty crazy."

The Minnesota native had a good time on the Oklahoma trip.

"They have a lot of history at Oklahoma. I liked hanging out with the guys and just seeing what it is like over there. Coach Stoops told me that he was looking for a juco tackle to come in and give him some immediate help. They want me to be that guy, but I have a lot of places to see first before I make that decision."

And which places would Gayden like to see?

"I have been talking to all of the schools who have offered me. They all want me to come in for an (official) visit. California and Minnesota are two schools I would like to see. The other two visits are up in the air. Miami, Oregon, Houston, Ole Miss, Auburn, Arkansas, Michigan State, Memphis, and Iowa State have also been call me every week. It will be hard making a decision on which ones to visit out of that list because they have all been showing me a lot of interest."

What stands out about Cal?

"They just have a good academic program. It is a great place to be. I am in California right now so everybody is telling me I need to go to Cal (laugh). I would just be walking into a great situation if I were to go to Cal. Their starting left tackle is graduating. I could come in and play immediately. They are always a good team and the PAC 10 is good every year."

Minnesota gives him that "home" flavor.

"That is my home town. Mom and dad still live there. Everybody wants me to come back home and play ball. They also have a great school, and it is also a great situation for me."

What about Miami?

"I do not know too much about them, but I am learning more. I am going to see if I fit in with their program or not."

Oregon?

"They call me every week. Their offensive line coach calls. I am still considering Oregon. I am not even close to a decision. They also play in the PAC 10, and in the past, they have had some good seasons. I hear their campus is beautiful, and they have a great head coach."

And Ole Miss?

"They play in the SEC and play against the best competition. They need some jucos offensive linemen to come in and compete for a job. They also have a good school, and their staff has sent a lot of offensive linemen to the NFL. Their offensive line coach, Mike Markuson, has been calling me every week.We have built a pretty good relationship."

What is going on with Auburn?

"They just need a lot of linemen. They are trying to recruit as many as they can get. I grew up watching a lot of Auburn football, and I always liked the way they played. They have a good staff and play in the SEC too."

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=910655#

Go Gophers!!

Not sure if we've offered. I seem to recall someone writing in here a few months back that we had cooled on him. I certainly hope that isn't the case.

Academics are important to him? Cal is the place for this JC wunderkind.

Hmmmm...

how's the weather up there on that high horse?

whoa to the High Horse, I am not saying MN is on the academic level of Cal.
In fact, the exact opposite- I would guess that Cal classes do not allow for a 'ramp up' re: class work/comprehension.

No need to apologize tho, cuz posting lends itself to misunderstanding.

Yikes! Makes you really wish he could have gotten in here. Who knew he'd be getting this offer list? Was he a 2*? I know we have a lot of O-lineman coming in, but I'd love to see him instead of our current tackles.

Approximately 20% of Cal undergrads are JC transfers. Tedford plugs in JC players if they can contribute immediately. Both the Bears and the Gophs need help on the OL.

Approximately 20% of Cal undergrads are JC transfers. Tedford plugs in JC players if they can contribute immediately. Both the Bears and the Gophs need help on the OL.

Certainly won't get any arguments there!!!!;)

I thought that Gayden was a grayshirt recruit with the understanding that he would be coming back to Minnesota. Perhaps someone can explain to me the concept of grayshirting. What is the point of it if they can choose to go someplace other than the U?

I thought that Gayden was a grayshirt recruit with the understanding that he would be coming back to Minnesota. Perhaps someone can explain to me the concept of grayshirting. What is the point of it if they can choose to go someplace other than the U?
I was wondering this too. When he left here a couple years ago, did he part on good terms with the U?

asking again....is Davis interested?

We have an offer out to him and are trying to get him to visit here so I assume we are interested. Throw in that the likes of Oklahoma are after him and we need immediate OL help, I'm guessing the staff is still on him, especially since the chances of landing Seantrel are bleak.

I do not think the term gray-shirting applies in Gayden's case. A grayshirt is for someone who needs to re-take the ACT's, but not go to JC, or for a person who is injured late in their HS senior year and will not enroll in college what would be their freshman year to rehab. The examples would be Gray, who stayed at home last year and retook his ACT's or Brooks Michel (sp?) this year who had back surgery (but I hear he will be in by January).

In Gayden's case because he went to JC to qualify academicly and played football he wouldn't be a grayshirt. He might have started out JC with the understanding that he would be coming back to Minnesota, but it would seem he blew up and now a few schools want him. I haven't seen anything to suggest he has anything against the U, but he seems to like Cali and is now a highly recruited kid. That saying, I have a hunch he ends up here (hopefully with Seantrel, what an O line that would be).

Oklahoma needs OL help too. Virtually all are new this year except for one returning starter who I think got hurt in the game this weekend.

I hope he decides to come home to MN where his family resides and I think he would start instantly. I believe he was a 3 star recruit out of high school.

whoa to the High Horse, I am not saying MN is on the academic level of Cal.
In fact, the exact opposite- I would guess that Cal classes do not allow for a 'ramp up' re: class work/comprehension.

No need to apologize tho, cuz posting lends itself to misunderstanding.

do you assume that just because this kid went to a junior college that academics cant possibly matter to him? or was i misunderstanding your sarcasm?

I believe it was Josh Campion from Fergus Falls who had back surgery and is considered a grayshirt, not Michel.

Top Bottom