Rossow: Prep coaches excited for P.J. Fleck and direction of Gophers Football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rossow:

By now you’ve heard P.J. Fleck is the new head football coach at the University of Minnesota. The young, energetic coach exhibited his unique and boisterous personality at yesterday’s introductory press conference at TCF Bank Stadium.

Some high school football coaches around the state already have a relationship with Fleck and the former Western Michigan staff, many of whom are expected to join him with the Gophers.

Many others encountered Fleck at the Minnesota Football Coaches Association clinic last spring where he was a featured speaker.

He impressed Minnesota coaches in both settings.

That’s nothing new for Fleck, though, who made a lasting impression on Owatonna’s Jeff Williams years ago while recruiting as a wide receivers coach for Northern Illinois.

“Energetic young buck visited my office a decade ago recruiting,” Williams tweeted Friday via the Owatonna Football account. “Hung on to his card because I thought he might go big.”

Former DeLaSalle coach and Gophers letterwinner Sean McMenomy, now head coach at South Caldwell High School in North Carolina, said Fleck's energy and passion is going to be great for the university.

"He is who he is...there’s no ghosts," McMenomy said. "He’s recruited a couple of my guys [including Gophers lineman Chad Fahning] and they fell in love with them. He reaps what he sows. You can tell he puts a ton of time, effort, and focus into what he does, and you’re seeing the results."

Robbinsdale Cooper coach Willie Howard attended Fleck’s Friday press conference. He has arguably as much interest in the Gophers new leader as any coach, with former Hawks star Philip Howard already on the team and Class of 2017 offensive tackle Eric Abojei verbally committed to the university.

“I think the transparency is biggest thing for me as a coach,” Howard said. “To be able to see if its somebody you’re going to put your son with for the next four, five years. To be able to walk away from this, and know no matter what’s happened in the past, this is somebody that generally cares about his kids.”

http://www.northstarfootballnews.com/news_article/show/741912?referrer_id=877078

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom