Rose Bowl makes another push to be left out of CFP semifinal rotation in favor of historic New Year's Day date

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per CBS:

The Rose Bowl is seeking to get out of the College Football Playoff semifinal rotation starting in 2026, sources tell CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. If bowl officials are successful, the Granddaddy of Them All will permanently move to its traditional Jan. 1 date.

"Because we're the only bowl that has the date as part of our brand in the New Year's Six bowls, it's really imperative for us and important for us," Rose Bowl management committee chair Laura Farber told ESPN. "We don't know when there will be a longform agreement. We're hopeful it will be sooner than later, but that depends on when the CFP has everything ready to go."

This is not the Rose Bowl's first attempt to keep its traditional spot. According to Dodd, officials held out for the game's traditional Jan. 1, 5 p.m. ET, kickoff time during original negotiations for the 12-team playoff, but they were told no.

"(This is) not new news," one College Football Playoff bowl official familiar with the talks told Dodd.

Go Gophers!!

I would like this.
I don’t think it should be a big deal to always be a round of 8 game.

New Year’s Day is going to be the best it’s been in decades this year

The only issue I can see is the timeslot. There seems to be complaints about the last game ending so late due to not starting until Rose Bowl ends.

Rose Bowl says it's willing to be flexible, but taking the parade into account, I'm guessing they won't be willing to move the start time up more than 30 minutes, an hour at the very max.

Having been there twice for the game, I think 30 minutes would be acceptable. An hour could probably work, but you're really on the go from one thing to another.

I'm all for it; with all the blow up of everything we once knew of college football, maintaining an afternoon Jan. 1 Rose Bowl tradition would be nice.

Top Bottom