Rookie safety Tyler Nubin checks all the boxes for Giants

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Dan:

Row the boat. Ski-U-Mah. Go Gophers. Go Giants.

P.J. Fleck has added a fourth line to his sign-off with the media (or at least with the Giants’ in-house podcast network). The first phrase encompasses the head coach's never-give-up approach to football. The second, pronounced SKY-YOU-MAH, is the University of Minnesota's rallying cry. Following that are references to the college team that he has led since 2017 and the NFL organization that has drafted more of his players than any other.

Tyler Nubin became the latest when the Giants selected the safety in the second round of the 2024 NFL Draft. So, why the pipeline from the Twin Cities to East Rutherford?

"I think they're NFL ready," Fleck said on the “Giants Huddle” podcast on Giants.com. "That [term] gets thrown around a lot across college football and even into the NFL, and what that really means for us, I think our players love their life. They love their whole life – academically, athletically, socially and spiritually. And as they go from 18 to 23 years old, this is where they grow up the most and there needs to be cultural and program things put in place for them to be able to continue to develop into those four buckets. I think that's why our guys have had so much success when they go to the National Football League, and hopefully people continue to come back to the well because they know exactly what they're getting."

Sixteen players have been drafted during Fleck's tenure in Minnesota. Four have gone to the Giants, including three currently on the team. Center John Michael Schmitz (second round in 2023) became an immediate starter as a rookie, while linebacker Carter Coughlin (seventh round in 2020) has led the Giants in special teams plays the past two seasons.

They are part of what makes the program attractive to recruits. But what attracted Fleck to Nubin?

"First and foremost is the type of person he is," Fleck said. "He's an ultimate competitor. You talk about somebody who loves football, loves his life. His mom and dad are unbelievable people. His brother (Jordan) plays here as well as a running back. His dad (Rodney) played football at Eastern Michigan. His mom (Sherese) ran track at Eastern Michigan. They both come from athletic backgrounds. They know what it takes to get to a very, very high level. His dad is very successful in the financial world and you can see that he had all those attributes of putting in the work and really studying and putting all the effort into the process, not just the result. I think that's what they did as parents is they valued the process of becoming whatever you're going to become, but pay the price during the process. I think that was critical in developing him and also recruiting him."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom