Roof recruits

gopher7

Reaction score
I was looking through Auburn's list of guys they signed, and another named I noticed on there was Demond Washington. I believe he visited us. That makes at least 3 guys that ended up there that we had strong interest in: Demond, Nosa Equae, and Taikwon Paige. Dang roof.

Paige was by default. Could not get into a big ten school, so had to settle for the sec.

yes.....paige would be here and couldnt qualify

in fact paige tried to get into quite a few northern schools after us

but when all else fails.......you head to the SEC where grades are irrlevant

but I do hope roof gives up about 50 points per game

to me when you leave........you leave the recruits you were recruiting to a school behind

to me when you leave........you leave the recruits you were recruiting to a school behind

Why? He's supposed to just leave behind the hundreds of hours he put into those kids?

I guarantee you would think differently if it were coaches bringing recruits to the U, not taking them away.

I love how coaches/players are supposed to show all this "loyalty," and yet they can be fired/cut/released at the drop of a hat.

Not saying loyalty is dead, it's just a two-way street...

Why? He's supposed to just leave behind the hundreds of hours he put into those kids?

I guarantee you would think differently if it were coaches bringing recruits to the U, not taking them away.

I love how coaches/players are supposed to show all this "loyalty," and yet they can be fired/cut/released at the drop of a hat.

Not saying loyalty is dead, it's just a two-way street...

seriously, i love the fact that i don't think i saw one person critcize brewster for stealing michael carter away. karma comes around. however, roof is just suppose to keep telling his recruits to go to mn? that's crazy. if you ever ask these kids why they choose a school, 95% will say it had to do with the coaching staff. you build relationships with these kids. i think stealing recruits at the last second is a lot more shady that making place for a kid you've been recruiting, and that committed to you.

Can you explain this further?

How can a kid get in there and not here?

The NCAA has minimal admissions standards for all scolar-athletes. Some schools (like those in the BIG TEN) have their own internal standards which exceed the NCAA's while others (like most SEC schools) stick only to the NCAA minimum.

I don't know this for a fact, but based on everything I've read, this appears to be the case.

Not that anyone is losing sleep over it, but dont forget Spry

Roof didn't bring Spry to Auburn; Spry decided to walk on at Auburn before Roof was hired. Spry grew up in Auburn and his parents work at the University.

Can you explain this further?

How can a kid get in there and not here?

What Go Gophers Rah said is fairly accurate. Each school has their own standards for admitting students. As a whole the Big Ten has the highest academic standards of any conference with all schools ranking in the top 71 in the country (Source: US News & World Report). To generalize, incoming freshman are subjected to fairly similar standards between schools from all of the conferences but where you see the big difference is in admission of Junior College athletes. Juco's must have their credits pass inspection as a transfer student so the admissions office has to evaluate the transcript to determine whether the credits from Juco classes will transfer over to the U.

This season you saw Paige fail to gain admission to Minnesota but he will likely get in to Auburn (I'm not sure if he is officially admitted). You also saw Anthony Leon commit to Oregon and then decommit to commit to Arkansas (SEC) when he couldn't gain admission at Oregon.

If you think the SEC admission standards are low (which they are) you should check a few schools from the Big East (West Virginia, South Florida)

seriously, i love the fact that i don't think i saw one person critcize brewster for stealing michael carter away. karma comes around. however, roof is just suppose to keep telling his recruits to go to mn? that's crazy. if you ever ask these kids why they choose a school, 95% will say it had to do with the coaching staff. you build relationships with these kids. i think stealing recruits at the last second is a lot more shady that making place for a kid you've been recruiting, and that committed to you.

This comment makes no sense. Why does Brewster owe loyalty to West Virginia? The original complaint was about leaving an employer and recruiting their prospects which in business is oftentimes restricted by contract and you can be sued for it. Brewster stole a committed recruit away from another team to which he had no relationship. If Michael Carter didn't want to talk to Minnesota he didn't have to answer the phone (like Hayo did to Urban Meyer when he was trying to recruit him after he committed to Minnesota). We lost Eric Stephens this way and we got Michael Carter this way. I don't feel bad about it because the verbal commitment has lost it's meaning and can now just be seen as verbal = front runner.

Jeff Wills (recruited by Tim Davis at Alabama and then Minnesota) is a much better comparison to use for your argument. However, even that would have been weak because Alabama had discontinued recruiting him and had no scholarship offer outstanding to him.

Go Gophers you are correct

But then there is that Castle on The Hill where everyone has to go get a scholarship, the NCAA Clearinghouse. I have reservations about how that thing is run. Seems some atheltes fly through, and others end up is some purgatory that ends just before the season. This and the qualifying between schools is the dirty little secret. When it comes to Big 10 Standards where are those published? I would sooner think it is an individual school that sets its standards. There are two private schools in the conference, one who has or had Ivy League standards. Then you have The Ohio State with players taking bowling to stay eligible. Michigan as well has had those "programs" for players for years. So when Michigan or Ohio State play and SEC team it is on a level playing field. We with our "Minnesota Standards" are not on that field. That is an NCAA disgrace.

Roof taking recruits

Not really. If Roof came to the Gophers, wouldn't you happily accept whatever recruits he brought with him?

This comment makes no sense.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. He wasn't comparing the Carter situation to the Roof recruits. He was saying that, in his mind, poaching a recruit the way Brewster did is worse than Roof bringing guys he recruited to his new school. Not saying I agree, just explaining his stance.

There are two private schools in the conference

Huh? What other Big Ten school besides Northwestern is private?

Who was paying for the hundreds of hours he spent?

Irrelevant. Minnesota paid him for his time while he was here, and once he leaves their employment, the guys he recruited are fair game. As has been mentioned, guys often commit to a coach, not a program, so who are any of us to tell them the proper basis for their school choice? Signing day exists for a reason. Anything that happens before that is a matter of "all's fair in love and war" (within the rules, of course).

When it comes to the quality of football at SEC schools, why doesn't the lower ed. requirements not get mentioned since it does seem to play a role in the athletes they get!

As for Roof, he did at Auburn what I would expect a coach hired at the U to do, bring kids along who they may have been recruiting for the other school. Since there is no written rule or gentleman's agreement to leave alone, why not? It may not seem nice or fair, but when Brew was hired, I believe some of his coaches did the very same thing. May not like payback, but...

Fine, I should have said that your comment is unrelated to the thread. As a logical argument it didn't make sense because the way it was phrased implied that it was building off of or refuting previous posts and instead it was a tangential argument.

In your argument about Minnesota paying him to build a relationship with recruits only to go after them at a new employer is fair. It is fine for Roof to do it because Minnesota didn't have a clause in his contract to not recruit players that have an outstanding offer from Minnesota. It is an ethical gray area with recruits because coaches leaving a program are expressly restricted by the NCAA from "recruiting" players that are on signed LOI's or enrolled in school. However, for players that have a verbal commitment or are current target of a school there is no restriction (Holtz took a few recruits with him when he went to Notre Dame).

I think it is fair for people to complain about Roof doing it but they also must realize that he is not bound by any legal agreement to not recruit Minnesota recruits.

Fine, I should have said that your comment is unrelated to the thread. As a logical argument it didn't make sense because the way it was phrased implied that it was building off of or refuting previous posts and instead it was a tangential argument.

In your argument about Minnesota paying him to build a relationship with recruits only to go after them at a new employer is fair. It is fine for Roof to do it because Minnesota didn't have a clause in his contract to not recruit players that have an outstanding offer from Minnesota. It is an ethical gray area with recruits because coaches leaving a program are expressly restricted by the NCAA from "recruiting" players that are on signed LOI's or enrolled in school. However, for players that have a verbal commitment or are current target of a school there is no restriction (Holtz took a few recruits with him when he went to Notre Dame).

I think it is fair for people to complain about Roof doing it but they also must realize that he is not bound by any legal agreement to not recruit Minnesota recruits.

Plus, none of the players Auburn ended up with had even verballed to us.

dpodoll68;30936 Irrelevant. Minnesota paid him for his time while he was here said:
I wouldn't say it is irrelevant. I view it in a similar strain as intellectual capital. When you are in grad school, any patents/ideas/products you develop while at the school with school resources (payroll/lab equipment/materials) are the property of the school. You sign a legal document to ensure this.

In college football, you don't sign one of these documents. I don't think that means ethics are out the window. I don't care if Roof spent a lot of time building a relationship with Eguae...he was doing that on the U's dime and he was compensated for it. I think it is morally questionable to then use your influence to manipulate the kid towards signing with your new school. Not against the rules, by any means, but morally questionable.

I don't blame Roof and I don't blame the kids. They've built up a relationship and it's probably a relationship of trust on the part of the recruit. Can Eguae trust Cosgrove sight unseen of sound unheard?

Tai kwon D'oh couldn't get in here (or much of anywhere else) it appears, so that's the reason for that. As for Washington, I don't think he got serious consideration lately.

Sorry, Grunkiejr, I beg to differ...

What Go Gophers Rah said is fairly accurate. Each school has their own standards for admitting students. As a whole the Big Ten has the highest academic standards of any conference with all schools ranking in the top 71 in the country (Source: US News & World Report). To generalize, incoming freshman are subjected to fairly similar standards between schools from all of the conferences but where you see the big difference is in admission of Junior College athletes. Juco's must have their credits pass inspection as a transfer student so the admissions office has to evaluate the transcript to determine whether the credits from Juco classes will transfer over to the U.

This season you saw Paige fail to gain admission to Minnesota but he will likely get in to Auburn (I'm not sure if he is officially admitted). You also saw Anthony Leon commit to Oregon and then decommit to commit to Arkansas (SEC) when he couldn't gain admission at Oregon.

If you think the SEC admission standards are low (which they are) you should check a few schools from the Big East (West Virginia, South Florida)

See my post from last week:
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?p=28208&highlight=Cornell#post28208

Top Bottom