Rodney Williams Vs. Cory Joseph

scher215

Reaction score
I noticed this on NBADraft.Net today, while looking at the 2012 Mock NBA Draft (Updated 7/9/10).

Rodney Williams out of the University of Minnesota is projected to be the 3rd pick of the draft.

Cory Joseph out of the University of Texas is projected to be the 14th pick of the draft.

Who do you think will actually end up being drafted higher (if at all) and/or which will have the better NBA career?

Honestly:

I don't think either will play in the NBA for any period of time, much less have an "NBA career." They may have a shot, but based on what I've seen so far, not a very good shot.

CJ isn't tall enough for the position he'd need to play based on his lack of quickness/athleticism, and doesn't shoot it nearly well enough.

RW can jump, but hasn't shown any ability to shoot yet, nor understand the fundamentals of the game.

When guys like Manny Harris, Scottie Reynolds, etc. aren't even getting a shot at being drafted, despite being All-Americans, athletic, fundamentally sound, etc. it just shows what kind of talent you need to play in the league.

I noticed this on NBADraft.Net today, while looking at the 2012 Mock NBA Draft (Updated 7/9/10).

Rodney Williams out of the University of Minnesota is projected to be the 3rd pick of the draft.

Cory Joseph out of the University of Texas is projected to be the 14th pick of the draft.

Who do you think will actually end up being drafted higher (if at all) and/or which will have the better NBA career?

Barring death or severe injury, Joseph will absolutely be drafted. No question.

Williams will probably get drafted. But it will be nowhere near the 3rd pick. Probably somewhere between 40 and 60.

Williams may have the better career, though, if he can figure out how to be a basketball player and not just a really good athlete who happens to play basketball.

Here is the NBADraft.Net analysis of Rodney, they rate him a 93 overall

NBA Comparison: Vince Carter/Thaddeus Young

Strengths: Explosive, physical freak type of athlete with great length and an improving game ... Makes highlight reel plays on a regular basis, an absolutely breath taking athlete ... Outside shooting has shown solid development and he shows a promising shooting form ... Very aggressive attacking the rim and is great in the open floor ... A nightmare on back door cuts for ally oops. Also excels at crashing the glass for follow up rebound jams ... Has tremendous length (wingspan in the 7-foot neighborhood) and a great basketball body ... Already has good strength with muscle mass (which is sure to improve) giving him the ability to finish at the rim after contact ... Appears to have grown an inch or two in the past year (from 6'5 to 6'7) ... His offensive game should be able to develop considerably while in at the collegiate level ... Shows a lot of potential defensively with excellent anticipation and a great first step to jump passing lanes and get out for breakaway dunks ... Appears to have a high motor and willingness to be coached and improve ... His upside is considerable ...

Weaknesses: His offensive canvas is spacious but still in the beginning stages. Putting the work in and not rushing a jump to the NBA will pay off considerably in the long run ... Still must become a better ball handler ... His overall basketball understanding is solid but still developing ... His shot shows good mechanics but he'll need to put in the work to really refine his consistency shooting from the perimeter as well as mid-range and both pulling and spotting up ... Can be too aggressive attacking the glass and because he's so athletic it can create some scary falls (like against Utah Valley) ... He'll need to find a happy medium between using his world class athletic ability attacking the rim and putting himself in harm’s way ... Needs to become better at creating offense for himself off the dribble ...
Notes: Showed a great deal of talent and potential in high school and appears to be putting it all together opting to stay at home to play for the Minnesota Golden Gophers ...

There is nothing for Cory Joseph yet.

Williams, NBA dafts more on potential than accomplishments, I don't think he would be 3rd but if he can develop a floor game he would be a first round pick.

I am not sure CJ has the quickness for the NBA, maybe he does and will show his potential at Texas.

Williams, NBA dafts more on potential than accomplishments, I don't think he would be 3rd but if he can develop a floor game he would be a first round pick.

If Ekpe Udoh can go 6th, I have no doubt Rodney can go 3rd with improvement and an NCAA tourney run.

Makes highlight reel plays on a regular basis, an absolutely breath taking athlete ...

Don't you have to play on a regular basis in order to make highlight reel plays on a regular basis?

Rodney's athleticism and potential are obvious, and we all hope he turns out to be that type of player. I don't doubt that he could go that high -- athleticism and body are what the NBA values. Still, the fact that he's already being projected there without demonstrating much on the court baffles me. I guess that's why nobody will pay me the big bucks to run their team.

I would hope you're at least saying that he'll be drafted and play in the d-league but never actually get time in the NBA. Have you seen half of the 2nd round people drafted? Rodney will no doubt get drafted even if he doesn't develop that much just based on his potential due to his athleticism and length.

Honestly:

I don't think either will play in the NBA for any period of time, much less have an "NBA career." They may have a shot, but based on what I've seen so far, not a very good shot.

CJ isn't tall enough for the position he'd need to play based on his lack of quickness/athleticism, and doesn't shoot it nearly well enough.

RW can jump, but hasn't shown any ability to shoot yet, nor understand the fundamentals of the game.

When guys like Manny Harris, Scottie Reynolds, etc. aren't even getting a shot at being drafted, despite being All-Americans, athletic, fundamentally sound, etc. it just shows what kind of talent you need to play in the league.

That analysis came right after his first couple games when he was doing that on a regular basis.

Don't you have to play on a regular basis in order to make highlight reel plays on a regular basis?

Rodney's athleticism and potential are obvious, and we all hope he turns out to be that type of player. I don't doubt that he could go that high -- athleticism and body are what the NBA values. Still, the fact that he's already being projected there without demonstrating much on the court baffles me. I guess that's why nobody will pay me the big bucks to run their team.

Number 3 does not sound like a reasonable forecast for Rodney at this time. Yes he is fine athelete. But he has yet to prove he is an outstanding basketball player.

RW performed a 360 degree dunk on my 15-year-old at Tubby's camp, so he has NBA All Star written all over him...

Anybody who has watched RW knows he can do things nobody else can. I don't think it's far fetched to believe in three years he'll be an experienced collegian with solid numbers still doing things nobody else can. I think the NBA might like that.

RW all the way. Let him play and practice and watch what happens. His athleticism is unparalleled. Give him a few years to develop and understand how the game works. All I'm saying. RW and CJ are piquing, RW has yet to show his true form.

2011 NBA Draft

ESPN's Chad Ford rates Rodney Williams the 19th best prospect in the 2011 NBA draft.
I'm well aware that the NBA drafts on potential and athleticism but I'm still shocked.

I just hope that Rodney starts performing on the floor like the number 3 player in the draft. That would certainly improve the chances of the Gophers finishing high in the Big 10 standings. Before anyone projects Rodney as a top 10 draftee, he should probably earn a starting position on the team. I think he will this year, but he hasn't at this point in his career.

Eric Harris

I think its insane to make such speculations about future drafts with a player so raw. That said, if he keeps improving over the next three years, I don't think there is anyone who denies that he can be a very, very good player. My poster child for such improvement is Eric Harris. His improvement from his Freshman year to his Jr/SR seasons was impressive as hell. Imagine if Rodney improves that much.

Joseph and Rodney

I think Joseph will be an nba player. He doesnt have elite athleticism, but he is 6'2" or 6'3" in shoes and plays pg. He is at least as athletic as Steph Curry.

Rodney needs to attack the basket, practice a jump stop, and just play good defense and rebound, so Tubby will leave him on the floor longer. I'm not sure his ball-handling or outside shooting will be good enough to be an NBA sg, so I think he really needs to bulk up and become a small forward. Desmond Mason, Iguadala, S. Marion, type player.

To use a baseball term, Rodney Williams may turn out to be a "BP All-Star"....a guy who drops 400 ft. bombs in batting practice but get him in a real game and throw him some offspeed (i.e. defense) he becomes just another player...

There is something so screwed up...

... when the NBA can even consider drafting a "prospect" that doesn't even start for his own team, forget about all conference or proven college success (or worse, a high school kid with no track record of success at a high level). No wonder "the League" is generally so crappy. Half of the players are still learning how to dribble and play defense.

The league is generally so crappy? And your last sentence? Are you serious? Do you think teams should just draft players based on stats and ignore height, athleticism, level of competition they played against, etc? It sounds like you don't think potential should be factored in when scouting players. And players are no longer drafted out of high school.

... when the NBA can even consider drafting a "prospect" that doesn't even start for his own team, forget about all conference or proven college success (or worse, a high school kid with no track record of success at a high level). No wonder "the League" is generally so crappy. Half of the players are still learning how to dribble and play defense.

Strange point on "the league" since it is better than it has been since the late 80's. It probably won't ever get back to that level again due to expansion, salary cap, and exorbitant contracts (not that the players don't deserve the money, it's just different when one seasons pay now makes a 6th or 7th man financially set for life).

Rodney has all the physical attributes to play in the NBA in terms of height, speed, quickness and jumping ability. I have not seen the basketball skills to correspond to the physical attributes yet, but lots of kids make a big jump as sophomres.

Not sure why the Rodney bashing on the thread.. Don't blame him just because talent scouts see his potential. I'm excited for his sophmore season and expect big things, including heavy minutes. Should be fun to watch him develop.

Rodney is the player I'm most excited to watch this season with his presumed jump in playing time. I'm ready for the season to start.

I'm excited to see him get minutes too, People forget when he actually gets big minutes he produces, see: begining of the season, Ohio State, Illinois etc. get him 25 minutes and he'll score a couple, get some rebounds steals blocks so on and so forth

get him 25 minutes and he'll score a couple, get some rebounds steals blocks so on and so forth

And from what I saw you can add to that list TO's, fouls and airballs. There's a reason he didn't log much time the 2nd half of last year - and it isn't because he was getting screwed by Tubby.

Don't get me wrong - I hope he makes a big leap this year too. And, as mentioned, he has the physical tools to do it. But I'm taking a "cautiously optimistic" approach rather than an "it's for sure gunna happen" approach.

3rd overall pick in the draft? Maybe. I also heard Brent Favre retired last week. Lots of crap reporting and predicting going on these days because nobody remembers who is wrong anymore.

Rodney is going to have a big year at doing all of the little things. Defense, rebounding, shot-blocking, passing, transition offense, etc. But he still has work to do before he becomes a consistant scoring threat.

It's a bunch of people who don't understand how much different the NBA is than college bball. There's a reason you don't just go draft based on college ppg. The shots at Rodney are getting pretty obnoxious. He wouldn't be receiving them if he weren't projected so high on a mock draft that changes god knows how much. I guess Rodney should be shot down by his own fans because they're upset that he's projected to be drafted and he hasn't had much college success so far.

Not sure why the Rodney bashing on the thread.. Don't blame him just because talent scouts see his potential. I'm excited for his sophmore season and expect big things, including heavy minutes. Should be fun to watch him develop.

Top Bottom