Rodney: "This is my time to step up" (VIDEO)

twinsfan21

Reaction score

I gotta say, I was impressed as heck by Rodney's performance tonight. Was he capable of doing this for the past two years? Probably, but better late than never, I guess. Count me among those extremely intrigued to see what he does now that he has the opportunity to be "the man."

Rodney was great - especially in the post. Wonder how playing him at the 4 will work against bigger teams...we will definitely have to rebound as a team.

Rodney played 'inside' in hs. Seems as though that is where his skill set is. We'll have to see how his size and strength match up with BIG teams.

Against bigger teams Rodney playing the 4 will be good as well. He will be able to take that 4 man outside the paint and beat him off the dribble and drive in for one of his signature dunks. Defensively is where you get worried. Teams that have good bigs Tubby will play zone or a box and 1 if the said team has a deadly perimeter threat when you have the small lineup in. EE, RS3 and RW is a decent front court defensively and will hold up against most big 10 opponents. When you go small 1 big and 4 wing players is where you will thrive I think. Because as most of you have pointed out, RW is a good post player who is a highly explosive athlete on top of that. He's probably one of 2 or 3 best athletes in the whole conference. Now he has a little confidence. Look out this kid could explode!!! into a great player over night.

So if Rodney really thrives at the 4 spot, how long before posters start screaming "why the H wasn't he playing there all along".

Just sayin.

So if Rodney really thrives at the 4 spot, how long before posters start screaming "why the H wasn't he playing there all along".

Just sayin.
I can answer that. Because he REALLY shouldn't be playing PF at 6'6" 185 or whatever he is. Most PF would destroy him in the post.

Just sayin.

Some posters have been saying he's a 4 for a long time. To play in the NBA - he'd have to play the 3 but he has to develop those skills in order to get to that point. Again this reminds me of Willie Burton who was allowed to play further out on the court, but only as his skills developed. At his level and at this time he's qualified to be good, maybe even very good at the 4. On the wing he's no threat at the moment.

I don't him just playing the 4 full-time is in the best interest. What I wondered is him taking other 3's down there and being able to elevate over them, rather than just him playing the post against guys who are more post defenders. I don't see that working in the B1G. If he's got a mismatch though, go down there and let him work, he showed some confidence that I don't see from him outside of 15 ft.

It will be interesting to see how his all plays out over time now that he'll be forced down there more frequently.

Rodney likes the 4 spot and that's why he took Trevor's knee out. Kidding.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ but it was time for him to step up in game one.

Top Bottom