Rochester Post Bulletin Faceoff: Time for Gophers to overhaul football program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Post Bulletin:

PHERSY: The University of Minnesota has some tough decisions to make. I feel strongly that Claeys should be gone; I can't get past the fact that he led an extremely misguided group of young men further down the wrong path. However, the appropriate response for AD Mark Coyle and U President Eric Kaler is to call Claeys into a meeting this week. They should ask Claeys how he intends to right this wrong, what his plan is for properly mentoring his players, and how he intends to distance himself and his program from players who engage in inappropriate activities moving forward. If Kaler and Coyle don't feel thoroughly satisfied with Claeys' response, they should fire him on the spot.

FELDY: The biggest question looming over Claeys and the program right now should be: Did the recent sexual assault allegations — and the manner in which Claeys chose to support his players — do more harm to the program than a 9-4 season and a Holiday Bowl victory did good? If I'm a recruit, or the parent of a recruit, I'm considering putting my son's future — not just the next four or five years — in Claeys' hands. I'd steer my child a different direction. Nobody is perfect, but there are plenty of other coaches out there I'd trust ahead of Claeys. That's what Kaler and Coyle should consider.

PHERSY: What's painful for these Gophers players (and maybe ironic): Had they not boycotted, my guess is that full 80-page report never would have come out. The University was hiding behind vague and misinterpreted privacy laws, just like many high schools and other colleges do on a regular basis. But as soon as that privacy policy didn't benefit the University, the report came out. Weird, huh? ... The bottom line for me is this — I've soured on Gophers football. I'm a Minnesotan (to the core) and a lifelong Gophers fan. My Saturdays wouldn't be the same without Gophers football. Yet, here I sit, completely disenchanted. To regain the trust of its fan base, an overhaul is needed, not only changing the coaching staff but also changing the type of human being we recruit to represent our state's largest University.

FELDY: Now is the perfect time to make a break. Claeys can coach football, we know that. Is he a Division I college head coach? We've seen enough to know that he doesn't always make the best decisions and, even after a nine-win season, the Gophers don't really have a signature victory. That means they beat the teams they should beat. Maybe we're piling on Claeys too much, but that's the responsibility that the head coach of one of the state's most high profile teams carries. This wouldn't fly at any top-10 program, and that's what Minnesota wants to be. It's time for Coyle to make a change.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_8a015fca-c019-5a06-aa68-989218c3a380.html

Go Gophers!!

I'd love it if a man with balls would write an informed opinion in the media.

As Claeys said on 830 with Mike Max tonight. "Highest Grad Rate in a long time and players go to class". Of course it's ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love when idiots like these two start from a false or biased premise and then argue each side. Classic.

If I'm a parent of a recruit, I am not at all bothered by Claeys standing behind the players. I am bothered by an admin and a university that treats players/students as criminals without a due process. Of course, if ruppert is right, these writers aren't at all concerned about what the parents of athletes think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm a parent of a recruit, I am not at all bothered by Claeys standing behind the players. I am bothered by an admin and a university that treats players/students as criminals without a due process. Of course, if ruppert is right, these writers aren't at all concerned about what the parents of athletes think.

These writers are very concerned about what parents of athletes think. What parent of a recruit would not be bothered by Claeys not kicking players of his team for bringing a 17-year old high school recruit to a gang bang while he was on a recruiting visit? Most parents want to send their kids to colleges that enforce minimum standards of conduct by all students at the school. A lot of parents of athletes (particularly females) would also be bothered by an administration and university that looks the other way while athletes violate the Student Code of Conduct with impunity. Those parents understand the difference between criminal prosecution for crimes and code of conduct hearings for rule violations, and that due process means that the code of conduct applies equally to athletes and non-athletes alike. They know there will be no special favors for their kids and they wouldn't have it any other way.

These writers are very concerned about what parents of athletes think. What parent of a recruit would not be bothered by Claeys not kicking players of his team for bringing a 17-year old high school recruit to a gang bang while he was on a recruiting visit? A lot of parents of athletes (particularly females) would also be bothered by an admin and university that looks the other way while athletes violate the Student Code of Conduct with impunity. Those parents understand that due process means that the code of conduct applies equally to athletes and non-athletes alike.

Oh my goodness. You must be a hoot. I've got a picture in my head.

These writers are very concerned about what parents of athletes think. What parent of a recruit would not be bothered by Claeys not kicking players of his team for bringing a 17-year old high school recruit to a gang bang while he was on a recruiting visit? A lot of parents of athletes (particularly females) would also be bothered by an admin and university that looks the other way while athletes violate the Student Code of Conduct with impunity. Those parents understand that due process means that the code of conduct applies equally to athletes and non-athletes alike.

Boy, I sure hope that's not what they think due process is...yikes.

I can see why the PB is getting trounced down here.

These writers are very concerned about what parents of athletes think. What parent of a recruit would not be bothered by Claeys not kicking players of his team for bringing a 17-year old high school recruit to a gang bang while he was on a recruiting visit? Most parents want to send their kids to colleges that enforce minimum standards of conduct by all students at the school. A lot of parents of athletes (particularly females) would also be bothered by an administration and university that looks the other way while athletes violate the Student Code of Conduct with impunity. Those parents understand the difference between criminal prosecution for crimes and code of conduct hearings for rule violations, and that due process means that the code of conduct applies equally to athletes and non-athletes alike. They know there will be no special favors for their kids and they wouldn't have it any other way.

I highly doubt it, especially in Minnesota.

"but also changing the type of human being we recruit to represent our state's largest University."

WE NEED TO KEEP THESE TYPES OF STUDENTS OFF OUR CAMPUS
Level 1:
I fully support a short morality test of all our college applicants, male & female, athletes & non athletes to determine their potential level of sexual indiscretion. In this day and age there must be a way we can devise some time of Pre-Crime assessment test. Or, we should not recruit inner city kids that don't have fathers at home - that should weed out a good chunk of the bad apples. Yes, I'm deriding their stupid statement. What exactly are they insinuating - That coaches knowingly recruit individuals that are "predisposed" to break the college's code of conduct just to win games? They either have serious contempt for college sports/coaches or are idiots.

Level 2:
Ok, Ok non of the above is realistic, we can't test kids, in that case we should just "blow up the program" and not have college sports at the UofM. Then many of these "questionable" kids would just stay in their own communities and not come to MN and ruin our great MN institution. College sports (ignoring any value it adds to community) serves no purpose in providing an educational opportunity for some individuals with athletic talents that might normally not had an opportunity to pursue personal improvement at a university and become better citizens. That is not a consideration, we are academic elitists, and its insulting that society supports & funds sports to the degree it does. Yes, I'm deriding this line of thinking as well.

If you've ever read the Rochester Post Bulletin sports section, actually held the paper in your hands and read it, you'd know that it's not to be taken seriously.

Top Bottom