Rivals 2013 Top 100

lars1429

Reaction score
I took a quick look at the new Rivals 2013 Top 100 list and found something pretty encouraging. All the Top 100 kids from Illinois and Indiana (I think there were 5) had offers from Minnesota. As of now, no players from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc and most Michigan and Ohio kids are leaning towards their in-state programs.To me, it looks like the coaching staff is doing their homework and getting an early start on some of the top players. These kids have offers from some top programs, but and early start and early offer can only help.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3053

Your statement is only half correct. We have not offered all of the IN & IL prospects, and we have interest from instate prospects. I'm not going to bother looking up other B1G schools and their instate talents as I think it's safe to say you are exaggerating the details.

lars1429 said:
I took a quick look at the new Rivals 2013 Top 100 list and found something pretty encouraging. All the Top 100 kids from Illinois and Indiana (I think there were 5) had offers from Minnesota. As of now, no players from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc and most Michigan and Ohio kids are leaning towards their in-state programs.To me, it looks like the coaching staff is doing their homework and getting an early start on some of the top players. These kids have offers from some top programs, but and early start and early offer can only help.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3053
I think we all know now that Jerry Kill can recruit. Let's see him develop these guys now.

I think we all know now that Jerry Kill can recruit. Let's see him develop these guys now.
I don't think Kill is that good of a recruiter TBH. Ya, he put together a solid class, but the fact is it's easier to recruit your first class.
Really? We do?
Question for you Art, do you use that name on other sites? I recently saw a comment on article about the Amazing Atheist that was from Art Vandelay, just curious if it was you.

zambam said:
I don't think Kill is that good of a recruiter TBH. Ya, he put together a solid class, but the fact is it's easier to recruit your first class..
You say that you don't think Kill is that good of a recruiter and then you said he put together a solid class? It's not necessarily easy to recruit your first year - more so with how lean Brewster left the U in depth.

I think to say we KNOW Jerry Kill is a good recruiter is a stretch at best. I'm very happy with his recruiting class and I expect good things, but we won't KNOW for a few more years whether he has actually recruited B1G caliber players that can be successful in his system and done that consistently. I am not going to say he isn't a good recruiter either because of the above - we simply won't know for a few years. The proof will be in the pudding... Or in nothing other than B1G wins vs. B1G losses if it's Wren talking.

I don't think Kill is that good of a recruiter TBH. Ya, he put together a solid class, but the fact is it's easier to recruit your first class.

Question for you Art, do you use that name on other sites? I recently saw a comment on article about the Amazing Atheist that was from Art Vandelay, just curious if it was you.

"Art Vandelay" is from Seinfeld.

That reference is why I thought Crazy Joe Davola (with all of the weird hints and stuff during the coaching search), was actually Art as well. (both from Seinfeld).

That reference is why I thought Crazy Joe Davola (with all of the weird hints and stuff during the coaching search), was actually Art as well. (both from Seinfeld).
Oh. I never watched Seinfeld. Thanks.

Bob, where is the kid from CDH? i thought he had great 'measureables'?
btw, someone close to the east metro said 'he is a bit soft'.

Bring something new to the table. You are a waste of space.

Bring something new to the table. You are a waste of space.

why is that a "waste of space"
bob was talking the kid up... tons of BCS offers.. i thought he'd be top 100 for sure.. so its a very honest question.

why is that a "waste of space"
bob was talking the kid up... tons of BCS offers.. i thought he'd be top 100 for sure.. so its a very honest question.

Find me the quote where he said anything remotely like that.

Find me the quote where he said anything remotely like that.

where did i quote bob?
i simply said he was talking the kid up.. ..

let me semi-quote him: "with all thos BCS offers, there must be something to this kid.. all these million dollar coaches can't be wrong"

so either Rivals is way off..
or
the CDH hype machine is running on all cylinders
or
to get the top CDH guys, you have to take a few guys like these in the 'off' years.. ( this kid is a 'loss leader' in retail terms)

btw:
this kid made the top 250.. with only a San Diego State offer.. what a crazy world!!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...Robinson-111902?colleges=show#college_choices

He isn't on there. I was merely answering the question when people asked why he was getting offers. It was really an easy answer, he is bigger and faster than most really good HS football players (measureables). I realize that you fail to grasp that fact. If you read that thread, because you're obviously obsessed with this issue, I said I was a little surprise that he had the amount of offers he has already, but I thought he was going to be Big 10 caliber recruit. You disagree with me and just about every Big 10 coach, no biggy, we can agree to disagree.

As far as the CDH hype machine...yawn. Here is my list of heavily recruited (like at James' level) Cretin football players:
Michael Floyd
Seantrel Henderson
Matt Carufel
Marcus Freeman
Ryan Harris
Rashon Powers Neal

For the heavily recruited CDH kids, i'd bet they have had a considerably higher success rate than the heavily recruited non-CDH kids from MN. So if you think there is a CDH hype machine, i'd press you to believe it because it seems to be pretty accurate.

In reality, there is obviously not a CDH hype machine. That's just plain ole dumb. If there was, how could you explain one of the premier defensive player from the state the last two years (Harden) only getting a Western Michigan offer? Why wouldn't that hype machine work for him? Why didn't it kick into full gear for Kendrick Brewster and Montero? Mark Alt for football?

LOL @ "someone from the East Metro said "he is a bit soft"".

You can take the word from that special someone from the East Metro, or you can take the word from Kirk Ferentz, Mark Dantonio, Brady Hoke, Jerry Kill, Pat Fitzgerald, Brian Kelly and David Shaw. I'm sure that one person close to the East Metro knows more about him. Makes sense!

where did i quote bob?
i simply said he was talking the kid up.. ..

let me semi-quote him: "with all thos BCS offers, there must be something to this kid.. all these million dollar coaches can't be wrong"

so either Rivals is way off..
or
the CDH hype machine is running on all cylinders
or
to get the top CDH guys, you have to take a few guys like these in the 'off' years.. ( this kid is a 'loss leader' in retail terms)

btw:
this kid made the top 250.. with only a San Diego State offer.. what a crazy world!!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...Robinson-111902?colleges=show#college_choices

You don't honestly believe that do you? That Brady Hoke and Mark Dantonio would offer a kid like James even though they don't think he's good to get in good with CDH? You can't honestly believe that. They'd offer him in January of his JR season to get in good with Cretin, a school that puts about 1 kid in the Big 10 (on average) every other year? You think they are thinking "lets get in really early to take a "loss" on this kid" so maybe we have a better chance at landing 2 kids from this HS in the next 5 years?"

If you're saying that because you're blinded by your hatred for Cretin that's one thing, but if your brain's "this is idiotic" meter didn't start sputtering when that thought trickled through, you have serious problems.

Michigan's not that desperate to get in good with Cretin. LOL.

But you and that person you know that is close to the East Metro can have your opinion.

He isn't on there. I was merely answering the question when people asked why he was getting offers. It was really an easy answer, he is bigger and faster than most really good HS football players (measureables). I realize that you fail to grasp that fact. If you read that thread, because you're obviously obsessed with this issue, I said I was a little surprise that he had the amount of offers he has already, but I thought he was going to be Big 10 caliber recruit. You disagree with me and just about every Big 10 coach, no biggy, we can agree to disagree.

As far as the CDH hype machine...yawn. Here is my list of heavily recruited (like at James' level) Cretin football players:
Michael Floyd
Seantrel Henderson
Matt Carufel
Marcus Freeman
Ryan Harris
Rashon Powers Neal

For the heavily recruited CDH kids, i'd bet they have had a considerably higher success rate than the heavily recruited non-CDH kids from MN. So if you think there is a CDH hype machine, i'd press you to believe it because it seems to be pretty accurate.

In reality, there is obviously not a CDH hype machine. That's just plain ole dumb. If there was, how could you explain one of the premier defensive player from the state the last two years (Harden) only getting a Western Michigan offer? Why wouldn't that hype machine work for him? Why didn't it kick into full gear for Kendrick Brewster and Montero? Mark Alt for football?

LOL @ "someone from the East Metro said "he is a bit soft"".

You can take the word from that special someone from the East Metro, or you can take the word from Kirk Ferentz, Mark Dantonio, Brady Hoke, Jerry Kill, Pat Fitzgerald, Brian Kelly and David Shaw. I'm sure that one person close to the East Metro knows more about him. Makes sense!

rivals 2012 entire minnesota list... 63 players (i dont think this link will work.. but here it is):
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results

take out all the guys from CC's, guys with offers, and guys with stars.
you are left with 17 guys.

2 from Breck (yes, Breck )
2 from Holy Family
3 from CDH

so almost half of the remaining guys are from three small private schools??? you honestly believe these 7 are 7 of the final 17 guys in THE ENTIRE STATE OF MINNESOTA in terms of football ability?? that a 5'11" 165 LB from CDH is better than any other LB in the entire state???

of course not.

the parents of these private school guys checked the 'silver' option on the enrollment form and paid their $500 to have their sons athletic abilities' marketed... and the 'hype machine' kicked in.

You don't honestly believe that do you? That Brady Hoke and Mark Dantonio would offer a kid like James even though they don't think he's good to get in good with CDH? You can't honestly believe that. They'd offer him in January of his JR season to get in good with Cretin, a school that puts about 1 kid in the Big 10 (on average) every other year? You think they are thinking "lets get in really early to take a "loss" on this kid" so maybe we have a better chance at landing 2 kids from this HS in the next 5 years?"

If you're saying that because you're blinded by your hatred for Cretin that's one thing, but if your brain's "this is idiotic" meter didn't start sputtering when that thought trickled through, you have serious problems.

Michigan's not that desperate to get in good with Cretin. LOL.

But you and that person you know that is close to the East Metro can have your opinion.

first, i don't hate cdh.. but i do hate seeing 9th graders decleated from the blindside and then getting woofed over by an entire opposing team.. typical cdh.. ( but maybe i just haven't seen enough football.. but i cannot imagine a classy place like Wayzata pulling that stuff. ).

but to you point... didn't the gophs offer Seantrel's BF from Totino a full ride?... a sort of 1-for-2 ( in retailing terms, of course ).

rivals 2012 entire minnesota list... 63 players (i dont think this link will work.. but here it is):
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results

take out all the guys from CC's, guys with offers, and guys with stars.
you are left with 17 guys.

2 from Breck (yes, Breck )
2 from Holy Family
3 from CDH

so almost half of the remaining guys are from three small private schools??? you honestly believe these 7 are 7 of the final 17 guys in THE ENTIRE STATE OF MINNESOTA in terms of football ability?? that a 5'11" 165 LB from CDH is better than any other LB in the entire state???

of course not.

the parents of these private school guys checked the 'silver' option on the enrollment form and paid their $500 to have their sons athletic abilities' marketed... and the 'hype machine' kicked in.

I have no idea how that stuff works, but I do know that you just compared Breck and CDH. That is not a comparison in terms of football. Cretin has been one of the better programs in the State for a really long time. Breck is the tiny private school you're talking about. Cretin puts out as many college football players as anyone in the state.

I'll say it again and i'd love to be proven wrong, if you really believe that there is a Cretin hype machine, you should buy into everything they are selling.

Compare the highly (there is the hype) recruited kids (3+ BCS) from MN....
Measure which ones have turned out better - - Cretin or non-Cretin

So either there is an extremely accurate (as far as predicting recruits) Cretin hype machine or the Cretin athletes who get A LOT of hype (Floyd, Harris, Seantrel, Mauer) are just really good athletes.

first, i don't hate cdh.. but i do hate seeing 9th graders decleated from the blindside and then getting woofed over by an entire opposing team.. typical cdh.. ( but maybe i just haven't seen enough football.. but i cannot imagine a classy place like Wayzata pulling that stuff. ).

but to you point... didn't the gophs offer Seantrel's BF from Totino a full ride?... a sort of 1-for-2 ( in retailing terms, of course ).

I've actually never heard of CDH being dirty. Maybe they are now, I kind of doubt it, knowing the coach. I've actually never even heard that complaint before. I've heard a lot of things....arrogant, overrated, the recruiting thing. There is probably some validity in those things. Dirty? That sounds like someone who can't accept losing.

Yep, the gophers did offer Seantrel's friend from TOTINO. Are you suggesting that the Cretin gravy train now stretches into Totino Grace? Where else? Blaine? Does this have anything to do with Duke's late offer? How far does the rabbit hole go?

You're comparing the recruiting of JD Pride with James Onwualu? If you can't see the absurdity in that, here is a hint. Look at the offer sheet from James Onwualu and then look at the offer sheet from JD Pride...
I hope you just chose to ignore the point, instead of being too dense to grasp it.

For situations like you're talking about where it is rumored that Pride got an offer to try to snag Seantrel (that was also the rumor with Jacques and M. Carter), you won't a bunch of the top programs in the country clamoring for that "loss" in January of their JR season. If James got an offer late in the process when it was clear that no one else was going to offer him, you could make that argument (it's debateable), but making it with a kid with James Onwualu's offer list is absurd.

To make it clear, he's not as good as Seantrel or Michael Floyd, but James is the Seantrel/Michael Floyd (in terms of being the prize from recruiters).

Arizona offered Onwualu today, meaning he's up to at least 9 BCS offers. But he's no good and is all hype.

We hope Jerry Kill is a great recruiter but he hasn't demonstrated it yet. Our recruited class was mostly a hodge podge of hopes and wishes. He was a good MAC recruiter and I like what I've seen and he certainly went a long way to closing the boarder. But no way can he be labelled a "great" or even "good" recruiter yet. Time will tell, but not yet.

I've actually never heard of CDH being dirty. Maybe they are now, I kind of doubt it, knowing the coach. I've actually never even heard that complaint before.

To be fair, Scanlon hasn't showered and shampooed since Woodstock. I would say he's very, very dirty.

Top Bottom