Rittenberg's Big 10 Bowl Predictions

I noticed that. From a national perspective, the Gophers won't have to do much to beat expectations. It says a lot about the perceived talent level when you can both be one of the most experienced teams, and predicted to finish 8th-9th in an 11 team league.

Eagle Bowl?

Where in the hell is the Eagle Bowl played at?:cry:
Do not tell me Philidelphia!!
Anyone out there know?
Very strrange!:confused:

I noticed that. From a national perspective, the Gophers won't have to do much to beat expectations. It says a lot about the perceived talent level when you can both be one of the most experienced teams, and predicted to finish 8th-9th in an 11 team league.

Yep...people might want to lighten up a little on Brew for a couple more years until he can get the talent level up a notch or two more.

It's interesting that a well-regarded (at least in these parts) writer questions whether the most-experienced team in the conference even has the talent level to equal last year's achievements...yet the Loon/Wren camp insists that Brewster "must" go 5-3 to be extended.

ESPN's brain wizards Mark Schlabach & Bruce Feldman have predicted that the Gophers would go to:

Schlabach - Motor City Bowl vs. Central Michigan
Feldman - Humanitarian Bowl vs. Fresno State

Ah, the hope for an "at-large" bowl....

I actually think there won't be enough at-large bids available for every Big Ten team to go bowling. My official prediction: the Gophers go 6-6 and are one of two eligible BCS teams (along with Stanford) to not get a bowl invite.

But, assuming we get eligible and don't break into the top 5 Big Ten bowls, I would be pulling to get the at-large invite than another trip to the Insight or a trip to dreary Detroit. I've had a great time in Tempe the last two visits, but time for something different. And Hawaii as one of the possibilities? Yeah, I could go for that...

I actually think there won't be enough at-large bids available for every Big Ten team to go bowling.

I actually think there won't be enough Big Ten teams to get 6 wins so that every Big Ten team can go bowling.

True, but did either of those teams play what is a consensus top-10 schedule that year?

But the bowls are about making money and Iowa has a history of sending a ton of fans to the bowl games, we do not and yet they were still not picked.

It's interesting that a well-regarded (at least in these parts) writer questions whether the most-experienced team in the conference even has the talent level to equal last year's achievements...yet the Loon/Wren camp insists that Brewster "must" go 5-3 to be extended.

Could it be that he is also questioning not just the talent level but the ability of the coaches to successfully teach a new offensive scheme and defense yet again due to staff turnover.

But the bowls are about making money and Iowa has a history of sending a ton of fans to the bowl games, we do not and yet they were still not picked.

True. When Iowa is eligible and still gets squeezed out, regardless of schedule, it definitely makes it possible for the same to happen to the Gophers. The putrid reputation for traveling is a big item on the list of things that need to change now that we're moving into the new digs.

The reason Iowa didn't go to a bowl game is there were teams with 7 wins to fill up the bowls, they have to be picked before teams with 6 wins regardless of the bowl agreements.

Moving to Arizona leads me to say that I'd like to see the Gophers in a west coast/mountain zone bowl. Selfishness aside, I'd like to see them make the best bowl possible.

Upset Cal and Penn St. (which may not be an upset by that point in the season, even though it's in Happy Valley), establish competence in the offensive line, see you on New Year's Day.

Could it be that he is also questioning not just the talent level but the ability of the coaches to successfully teach a new offensive scheme and defense yet again due to staff turnover.

this guy is such a broken record, what a douche, oh wait, he went to the U and considers himself an important alum so we can't say those things :rolleyes:

Ultimately, given the strength of their schedule, there really is no pivot game. They will need to be on their toes for every game. If their is an indicator game that lets the Gophers know where they are at this year, it will be Cal, though Air Force sounds like it will bring some match up frustrations and will be hard to not overlook since it is followed by Cal.

I believe that Air Force is a must win. If we lose that game it will have a huge negative impact on the non diehard fan base with it being the 1st game at TCF. so to me it THE pivotal game of the year.

this guy is such a broken record, what a douche, oh wait, he went to the U and considers himself an important alum so we can't say those things :rolleyes:

You and I disagree on a lot, but you've hit the nail on the head here. This guy thinks that because he's an alum (which I still doubt), he has the right to be incessantly negative about everything related to the program. It's his responsibility, you know, to hold our program to a higher standard. It really is a joy opening up this message board and hearing on a daily basis about how much better Nebraska and Texas are at everything ever.

I believe that Air Force is a must win. If we lose that game it will have a huge negative impact on the non diehard fan base with it being the 1st game at TCF. so to me it THE pivotal game of the year.

I agree, but not concerning fan impact so much as I think a loss will have a negative impact on the team confidence to go along with the rest of the schedule. They do not get by Air Force, how are they going to do against Cal, OS and PS?

You and I disagree on a lot, but you've hit the nail on the head here. This guy thinks that because he's an alum (which I still doubt), he has the right to be incessantly negative about everything related to the program. It's his responsibility, you know, to hold our program to a higher standard. It really is a joy opening up this message board and hearing on a daily basis about how much better Nebraska and Texas are at everything ever.

The only thing we really disagree on is our love for the Vikes, you love em, I don't care much for em, I struck a sore spot with you, was fun at first, took it a little far, not sure why, happened. Important thing is we both stand up for the direction of the Gopher program, which compared to when I moved here in 2004, is leaps ahead of anything I've seen, and I like what Brew is doing.

Important thing is we both stand up for the direction of the Gopher program, which compared to when I moved here in 2004, is leaps ahead of anything I've seen, and I like what Brew is doing.

Amen brother!

Top Bottom