RIP to former Gophers interim HC and long time assistant Jimmy Williams

What could have been if Tubby had been able to implement his decision to hire Jimmy Williams. He bled Maroon and Gold. He deserved better from the U. The fans deserved to enjoy what he and Tubby would have accomplished together.

Last edited:

Still my biggest sports thrill (ahead of Game 7 in '87) was beating OSU with Brad Sellers and Dennis Hopson with the Iron 5. Sat second row under the hoop. We stayed after and I got the Iron 5 and Jimmy Williams to sign my program. (Joe Senser was there as well and I got him to sign the inside of my program.) Marc Wilson, Ray Gaffney, Kelvin Smith, Tim Hanson, John Shasky. I still get goosebumps thinking about that night!

Reusse has a column in the Strib about Williams. gist of column is that Williams got hosed by the U of MN administration when they wouldn't let Tubby hire him. apparently Williams had already been given credentials and a parking pass when somebody at MN got cold feet because Williams had been (allegedly) involved in the NCAA violations that took place under Musselman.

Williams sued the U of MN and Tubby. case went to a jury and jury awarded Williams $1-Million. But the jury award was later reversed by the MN Supreme Court. the Supreme court ruled that Williams was not entitled to protection against negligent misrepresentations by the university’s representative (Smith).

Jim Dutcher testified on behalf of Williams during the original court case. the case took 5 years to work through the court system. Dutcher told Reusse that Williams was a excellent recruiter and did a lot of work in practice with the Gophers' big men.

Per Pat:

Jimmy Williams had one long run as a Gophers basketball assistant and should have had another try with Tubby Smith in 2007. Williams died on Monday at 77 at a care facility in Monticello, Fla., debilitated by severe Parkinson’s disease and other ailments, and wiped out financially.

What happened with the Smith-University of Minnesota fiasco had much to do with the latter situation.

Smith had left under pressure at Kentucky and took the job at Minnesota in 2007. He wanted an ace recruiter with Minnesota connections and offered a job to Williams, then an assistant at Oklahoma State.

Williams quit Okie State and headed to Minnesota. Athletic director Joel Maturi was made aware of an NCAA report on the end of Bill Musselman’s coaching time with the Gophers in 1975, in which Williams was mentioned in recruiting machinations.

Maturi had the Gophers renege on the coaching offer to Williams. He was left without a job. There was a lawsuit that dragged on and a jury decision to benefit Williams by $1 million.

Jim Dutcher, the post-Musselman head coach, had been Williams’ boss for over a decade.'

“I testified at the trial,” Dutcher said Tuesday. “I was asked, ‘How do you know it was an official offer?’ I said, ‘The university gave him a credit card to go recruiting and keys to the building. Do they do that for a coaching ‘prospect?’

“The university’s attorney’s response was, ‘We don’t have any questions.’

Go Gophers!!

Selfishly, I’m happy it’s not the local Jimmy Williams who is a coach at Bloomington Jefferson.

Bill Musselman was as crazy and intense as Bobby Knight. From the article:

Wilson paused and said: “Remember, Bill also coached us. Jimmy came in from St. Petersburg JC and he was an amazing player. We had a great team, played this great defense, and Bill decided he wanted a shutout. Wanted us to hold the other team to zero.

“We were playing some overmatched team, and they hadn’t scored, and then Jimmy fouled some guy in the corner as he was making a shot. So, it was 29-5 at halftime, and Bill made Jimmy go around the locker room and apologize to the other players for costing them a shutout.

“Jimmy could shake off that craziness. Not all of us could.”

Reusse has a column in the Strib about Williams. gist of column is that Williams got hosed by the U of MN administration when they wouldn't let Tubby hire him. apparently Williams had already been given credentials and a parking pass when somebody at MN got cold feet because Williams had been (allegedly) involved in the NCAA violations that took place under Musselman.

Williams sued the U of MN and Tubby. case went to a jury and jury awarded Williams $1-Million. But the jury award was later reversed by the MN Supreme Court. the Supreme court ruled that Williams was not entitled to protection against negligent misrepresentations by the university’s representative (Smith).

Jim Dutcher testified on behalf of Williams during the original court case. the case took 5 years to work through the court system. Dutcher told Reusse that Williams was a excellent recruiter and did a lot of work in practice with the Gophers' big men.
Maturi's inability or unwillingness to stand up to the administration was probably the biggest issue. Tubby's name recognition with Williams recruiting ability would have been a force.

Blocking the Jimmy Williams hire at the last second...is just another self-sabotage in a LONG list.

Anyone who thinks us winning only 2 NCAA games in the last 27 years happens by accident...ought to have their head examined.

I admit, I should have had my head examined about 20 years ago.

I was wrong for only enjoying winning. And not understanding why people made a day of barbecuing, tailgating, socializing, and not caring about the actual game. They were right, I was wrong.

Per Shooter:

>> A prominent former Gophers basketball player is quietly picking up the $8,000 cost of the funeral of beloved Gophers-Timberwolves assistant Jimmy Williams, who died of Parkinson’s disease at age 77 and whose service was Thursday in Quincy, Fla.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom