Ring of Honor

maroonfive

Reaction score
There has been lots of posts about honoring our past. At first I thought the idea of statues honoring past Gopher greats was a great idea and I still think it is a great idea. I would think this would be very expensive. I now have a better idea.
How about a ring of honor that rings the outside of the stadium and instead of statues how about busts of players like those in the NFL hall of fame. These could be placed on the outside of the stadium between the arches that ring the stadium. There would be plenty of room, it is an ideal place, the the walkway will be lighted at night.

Any thoughts?

This is an important topic. I feel like this idea would work better inside the stadium, though.

I believe someone mentioned mural-like paintings along the concourses depicting all-americans (much like inside Mariucci). That is a good idea.

Or, perhaps bronzed plaques (not statues or busts) embedded in the endzone wall on the open side of the stadium (below those ten or so rows of seating). They would be raised or inset images of only the greatest gopher players (with names and numbers) and coaches. Hopefully they will add the brickface to this interior wall when the necessary funds come in.

I think Bronko and the trophy winners (Smith, Bell, Brown, Carter, Eslinger, & Spaeth) deserve a special honor around the stadium.

I like the idea of honoring

our former great players. But please, let's not call it the "Ring of Honor." I think that Jerry Jones came up that name for former Dallas Cowboy greats, and anything that reminds me of Jerry Jones makes me want to vomit (OK, I've never met him and he could be a heck of a guy, but to see him interviewed makes me ill).

Whatever they do let's hope they do a better job than they have done in Mariucci. Its pathetic how the Hobey Baker and team awards are tucked into dark corners of the arena. The lighting is bad and there is never anyone around these awards looking at them. The team awards are also pathetic because they haven't been updated with names for 4 years.

The retired #'s and National Championships should be visible from every seat in the stadium.
If they ever do go down the road of statues here is the list....

1. Bronko
2. Bierman
3. Smith

The 3 greatest Gophers of all time. No one comes close. If you include Bell you may have to include Giel and then maybe even Tom Brown. We can't be making statues of every All-American.

Or maybe you have 1 statue for every enterance....which would be 5.

Big Ten titles, 18 of them, should be banners hanging down INSIDE the colonade that rings the stadium. Maybe they will incorporate the 18 title banners on some of the light poles that will ring the stadium for all to see. Who knows.

There are going to be banners in the concourse featuring former gopher greats. If you take the virtual tour....the long exterior one ends inside the concourse and you can see what they may look like. You can't do a ring of honor inside the stadium because of the ad boards that line the lower/upper decks.

Top Bottom