Ricky Rubio Takes Break From Basketball

Iceland12

Reaction score
Like a number of good to very good NBA players, wonder how good Rubio could have been without all those injuries. Quick look shows that in his 12 years in the NBA he played over 70 games just 4 times. Now add in all the games he's played for Spain and his body, and his mind he been through the mill.

Here's to his career and his health.:drink:

Veteran Cleveland Cavaliers guard Ricky Rubio is putting his basketball career on pause to focus on his mental health, the 32-year-old said in a statement Saturday.

“I have decided to stop my professional activity to take care of my mental health,” Rubio said, via the Spanish Basketball Federation. “Today #Family makes more sense than ever … I ask to respect my privacy to be able to face these moments and to be able to give more information when the time is right.”
Rubio was set to play in the 2023 FIBA World Cup on Aug. 25 for his home country of Spain, the defending champion.

Professional basketball has been a part of Rubio's everyday life since he was 14 years old. Rubio debuted in the Spanish ACB League in 2005 a month before his 15th birthday. The Minnesota Timberwolves drafted Rubio No. 5 overall in 2009 but played two more seasons in Spain for Barcelona before he officially joined the NBA for the 2011 season..

He played in 33 games for the Cavaliers this past season after he signed with the team in 2022 following an ACL injured sustained in 2021. Rubio proved to a stabilizing force for the team alongside Donovan Mitchell, especially during the postseason. He averaged 5.2 points, 3.5 assists and 1.8 rebounds in 17.2 minutes per game this past season..

Like a number of good to very good NBA players, wonder how good Rubio could have been without all those injuries. Quick look shows that in his 12 years in the NBA he played over 70 games just 4 times. Now add in all the games he's played for Spain and his body, and his mind he been through the mill.

Here's to his career and his health.:drink:

Veteran Cleveland Cavaliers guard Ricky Rubio is putting his basketball career on pause to focus on his mental health, the 32-year-old said in a statement Saturday.

Rubio was set to play in the 2023 FIBA World Cup on Aug. 25 for his home country of Spain, the defending champion.

Professional basketball has been a part of Rubio's everyday life since he was 14 years old. Rubio debuted in the Spanish ACB League in 2005 a month before his 15th birthday. The Minnesota Timberwolves drafted Rubio No. 5 overall in 2009 but played two more seasons in Spain for Barcelona before he officially joined the NBA for the 2011 season..

He played in 33 games for the Cavaliers this past season after he signed with the team in 2022 following an ACL injured sustained in 2021. Rubio proved to a stabilizing force for the team alongside Donovan Mitchell, especially during the postseason. He averaged 5.2 points, 3.5 assists and 1.8 rebounds in 17.2 minutes per game this past season..

All the best to him. He certainly has logged plenty of minutes and miles over the years.

He not like aaaaanybody else. Kfan drops and common man’s same show everyday for 12 yrs never get old

I remember there was a game where we needed a 3 to tie, and some idiot for us went in for a layup to get 2............Rubio grabbed his head like WTF?

Top Bottom