Rick Pitino on Minnesota struggles: "I asked Father Bradley to say mass"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Pitino has closely watched his son’s team –Richard Pitino’s Gophers – this season as he always does, and like many Minnesota fans, he’s having a hard time stomaching the results.

The Gophers have lost consecutive “guarantee” games to South Dakota and South Dakota State and have dropped three of their last five. Apparently a stretch like that is worthy of a plea for holy intervention.

"I'm living and dying right now,” the elder Pitino said on his weekly radio show. “I asked Father Bradley to say mass. I went to church today. He lost to South Dakota in double overtime with a six-point lead and then is playing South Dakota State ... We just die with our son.”

Like father like son? Of course a lot of Rick's commentary needs to be read with tongue firmly in cheek, but by the sounds of it, Richard isn’t exactly relaxed, either.

"I told him, 'Richard, going into the season, you said we've got seven freshmen and sophomores, we're not going to be real good this year but we're going to learn and be outstanding next year. So why are you dying with every situation?' He said, 'I learned it from you.' Oh, we're dying with everything."

http://www.startribune.com/rick-pit...i-asked-father-bradley-to-say-mass/361425011/

Go Gophers!!

Yes, once again, Dad needs to be quiet and let Son make his own way in the world. This is Rick's attempt to protect his son (a father's right) and make sure everyone knows Son's team has 7 freshmen and sophomores and we shouldn't be surprised by this.

Hey Pops, we understand this is a "building" season with a lot of young guys. We get that. What concerns me isn't so much the losses, it's the almost total lack of lack of urgency, effort, and matador defense we saw in the SDSU game coming off the loss to South Dakota. That's what irked me. In the SDSU game I thought McBrayer was about the only guy that competed his butt off from start to finish. The effort picked up in the second half, but that's too little, too late when you're getting your butt whipped like that.

Yes, once again, Dad needs to be quiet and let Son make his own way in the world. This is Rick's way (a father's right, I guess) of making sure everyone knows Son's team has 7 freshmen and sophomores and everyone shouldn't be surprised by this.

I hope this was not the same priest he prayed to for the hooker problem to go away. Richard needs more support, especially after reading all these critical fans on GH, but what he really needs is more talent. The talent improves dramatically next year and we need to see what Richard can do with the upcoming recruits.

Are people really bashing either father or son for this article? Senior was asked a question. Should he just say "I refuse to comment about my son". Is he not supposed to talk to his son and give him advice? Sheesh. The Pitino's didn't write this article or seek it out. They were simply giving honest comments.

What he really needs is more talent. The talent improves dramatically next year and we need to see what Richard can do with the upcoming recruits.

Agree, but until that time want to see real signs the program is moving forward. Still a lot of time for this team and program to show improvement in 2015-16. No team stands still; you either get better or get worse.

Are people really bashing either father or son for this article? Senior was asked a question. Should he just say "I refuse to comment about my son". Is he not supposed to talk to his son and give him advice? Sheesh. The Pitino's didn't write this article or seek it out. They were simply giving honest comments.

Yeah I don't mind this that much. I've always liked Rick though, so maybe that's part of it.

Seemed like a funny comment and of course people are going to ask him about his son. I don't mind it and it gets our team brought up more. It also adds some context for the national audience about MN's season. People outside of MN at least talk about MN in more depth, even if it is just a fraction more.

+1

Yeah I don't mind this that much. I've always liked Rick though, so maybe that's part of it.

Seemed like a funny comment and of course people are going to ask him about his son. I don't mind it and it gets our team brought up more. It also adds some context for the national audience about MN's season. People outside of MN at least talk about MN in more depth, even if it is just a fraction more.

+1

Yes, once again, Dad needs to be quiet and let Son make his own way in the world. This is Rick's attempt to protect his son (a father's right) and make sure everyone knows Son's team has 7 freshmen and sophomores and we shouldn't be surprised by this.

Hey Pops, we understand this is a "building" season with a lot of young guys. We get that. What concerns me isn't so much the losses, it's the almost total lack of lack of urgency, effort, and matador defense we saw in the SDSU game coming off the loss to South Dakota. That's what irked me. In the SDSU game I thought McBrayer was about the only guy that competed his butt off from start to finish. The effort picked up in the second half, but that's too little, too late when you're getting your butt whipped like that.

Respectfully disagree SS. This was Rick's weekly show in Lousiville not ESPN, not an interview with the Star Tribune. The fact that the Strib picked it up is interesting as I don't know how that process works, was the info sent to them, are they always listening to that based on the name recognition?

Rick has a son who coaches at a Big 10 school, he's going to get asked about it. If it was as motive driven as you're alleging, I would expect Rick to be talking about it in different medium.

Respectfully disagree SS. This was Rick's weekly show in Lousiville not ESPN, not an interview with the Star Tribune. The fact that the Strib picked it up is interesting as I don't know how that process works, was the info sent to them, are they always listening to that based on the name recognition?

Rick has a son who coaches at a Big 10 school, he's going to get asked about it. If it was as motive driven as you're alleging, I would expect Rick to be talking about it in different medium.

Fair enough.

Agree, but until that time want to see real signs the program is moving forward. Still a lot of time for this team and program to show improvement in 2015-16. No team stands still; you either get better or get worse.
I agree - there is a lot of room for Richard to respond and coach even if we don't suddenly become contenders.

+19 and to all a good..............season?

Father McKenzie, writing the words
of a play that no one can stop
no one says it's his pop
Look at him coaching
working the floor on the refs
when he thinks they are deaf
All the lousy refees
Where do the all come from

When Rick goes drama queen he ends up making it about himself. He could have said that he is concerned and hopeful and talks with Richard frequently, etc., etc. A guy as dirty as Rick shouldn't pretend to bring religion into this.

When Rick goes drama queen he ends up making it about himself. He could have said that he is concerned and hopeful and talks with Richard frequently, etc., etc. A guy as dirty as Rick shouldn't pretend to bring religion into this.

True, but remember this is the Catholic religion he's pretending to bring into this.

Top Bottom