Richard Snubbed From Naismith CotY Semifinalists List

DeathClutch

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Collins made it though. :confused:

Unbelievable. Where was Northwestern picked this year?

Wow, what a joke. I would have been fine with it if Collins was left off too, but no way Collins should make that list and not Richard.

He certainly belongs on this list. Others do as well. Keatts,Buzz Williams and perhaps Holtman most of all. Look at who Butler has beat. This is one of the two biggest awards, the other one is the Coaches vote, then third most prestigious is the Henry IBA award and that is the one i think he will win. What made it easier and well deserved for Collins is it is a bigger story and many voters do not pick a guy in a big turn around year from a disaster year that the perception was he helped create. Now if the question was who grew more as a coach, Pitino hands down. He has done a tremendous job.

Inconceivable!

Almost makes me want to root against the Cats, but I've wanted them to make the Field, and we're going to stay the course. It seems that this is too good a feel-good situation to let the details get in the way of a good story. Northwestern was picked by many to be right where they are, so national COY is a stretch.

Some people on Twitter believe this is a typo and they got the wrong Pitino..

Collins is being rewarded for reaching a moderate level of success with a program that's experienced mostly failure. It's been a season-long narrative fueled by the many Northwestern media alumni (especially ESPN-ers like Greenberg and Wilbon) that just won't quit. His has been like one of those relentless Heisman hype campaigns, but it turns out he's not even deserving of (and probably won't win) Coach of the Year in his own conference. Don't get me wrong, Collins is a terrific coach and has done a wonderful job taking Northwestern to heights never before reached, but year-to-year the coaching job Pitino has done is nothing short of remarkable. He deserves Big Ten Coach of the Year honors, and should be among this short list nationally.

Collins is being rewarded for reaching a moderate level of success with a program that's experienced mostly failure. It's been a season-long narrative fueled by the many Northwestern media alumni (especially ESPN-ers like Greenberg and Wilbon) that just won't quit. His has been like one of those relentless Heisman hype campaigns, but it turns out he's not even deserving of (and probably won't win) Coach of the Year in his own conference. Don't get me wrong, Collins is a terrific coach and has done a wonderful job taking Northwestern to heights never before reached, but year-to-year the coaching job Pitino has done is nothing short of remarkable. He deserves Big Ten Coach of the Year honors, and should be among this short list nationally.

I posted this somewhere else, but Pitino's biggest accomplishment is getting his players to believe - both that they could compete this year as well as that they could pull out of the 5-game nosedive. I think it's borderline amazing, even though this is a talented squad.

Yup.. Northwestern is a pipeline for aspiring journalists. Many members of the sports media are Northwestern alum.. That helps Collins, but a damn shame that Wilbon isn't unbias enough to recognize Pitino's success.

Inconceivable!

Almost makes me want to root against the Cats, but I've wanted them to make the Field, and we're going to stay the course. It seems that this is too good a feel-good situation to let the details get in the way of a good story. Northwestern was picked by many to be right where they are, so national COY is a stretch.
I don't think that word means what you think it means! ;)

Yeah, that's a big miss. Richard shouldn't just be in the top ten, I think he should be top three. And they left a couple of other candidates off who are worthy of consideration too, like Pastner.

A lot of the improvement this season has been filling in the ginormous hole created in the past couple seasons on Pitino's watch. I would save the national COY for next year, if things do peak as high as we think they could. Still, he should have made this list.

Silly to see so many coaches with so many year-to-year advantages like Self and Rick Pitino on that list. Practically any qualified coach could win at Kansas.

Was this political voting may have been done earlier when the Gophers were on a five-game losing streak?

Some people on Twitter believe this is a typo and they got the wrong Pitino..

This has to be the case. I honestly don't see how Rick would even be considered for this - L'ville averages 13.5 wins in conference the previous four seasons and get get 12 tops this season.

Travesty, is the word that comes to mind for me. It has not happened yet, but on another thread, we are in position to have the greatest number of wins improvement from one year to the next in the history of college basketball. How does the coach, who presently is presiding over one of the top five all time top turn arounds in college basketball history not make the list?

My point is, that it is right there in black and white with numbers for everybody to see. A lot of times, coach of the year is a feel good story or a not so good team to a very good team but this in actual numbers is undeniable. You can choose somebody else to win for a 100 reasons but not to be on the list is mystifying.

I posted this somewhere else, but Pitino's biggest accomplishment is getting his players to believe - both that they could compete this year as well as that they could pull out of the 5-game nosedive. I think it's borderline amazing, even though this is a talented squad.

Exactly. As an aside - maybe others heard this one and can verify. I was listening to the post game show and Spencer or Grimm must have called Richard, "Rick," and then they apologized. Pitino responded that "Rick" was the guy who coached the team last year....:) He's got the gift of wit.

He most definitely belongs on that list.

Exactly. As an aside - maybe others heard this one and can verify. I was listening to the post game show and Spencer or Grimm must have called Richard, "Rick," and then they apologized. Pitino responded that "Rick" was the guy who coached the team last year....:) He's got the gift of wit.

He most definitely belongs on that list.

I can't remember who told me this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I heard recently Richard actually goes by 'Rick' to people close to him and 'Richard' in public (I suppose so people do not get him confused with his father). Therefore, I could imagine it was a slip of the tongue as they might actually refer to him as Rick in private conversations.

reminds me of a visit to my Father-in-Law's Aunt. He was raised by his Aunt and Uncle. Uncle had passed and Aunt was in a nursing, suffering from Alzheimer's. My in laws started dating in their early teens and had been married forever.

about 20 minutes into the visit the Aunt turned to her nephew and said "I like this wife much better. your other wife was a real bitch".

I like this coach much better.

Top Bottom