Richard Pitino on getting a BT win: "We almost have to pitch a perfect game."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Richard Pitino on getting a BT win: "We almost have to pitch a perfect game."

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

That's a comforting thought.

If Gophers need to pitch a perfect game to beat Rutgers, we have a lot more serious issues than any of us can know. Took a nice long look at the Scarlet Knights for the first time last night. Bigger trainwreck than we are. Rutgers makes Gophers look like B1G title contenders. Will be surprised if Eddie Jordan lasts the season.

If Gophers need to pitch a perfect game to beat Rutgers, we have a lot more serious issues than any of us can know. Took a nice long look at the Scarlet Knights for the first time last night. Bigger trainwreck than we are. Rutgers makes Gophers look like B1G title contenders. Will be surprised if Eddie Jordan lasts the season.
Me thinks Richard is showing the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree in terms of over dramatizing the situation. As for Rutgers, isn't Eddie Jordan the best player in their programs history? I would think with all the BS that Athletic Department went through with their past two AD's and basketball coach combined with him being a legacy he would have a couple more years on the leash.

Makes it sound more like 3-4 years before we even get back to .500 in conference. Gonna have to do better than that if he wants to stick around for very long.

Me thinks Richard is showing the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree in terms of over dramatizing the situation. As for Rutgers, isn't Eddie Jordan the best player in their programs history? I would think with all the BS that Athletic Department went through with their past two AD's and basketball coach combined with him being a legacy he would have a couple more years on the leash.

+1....Eddie Jordan is an RU grad and highly respected with decades of playing NBA and coaching experience and was named the 18th head coach in the history of Rutgers men’s basketball on April 23, 2013, so I would also expect him to get more time to develop RU's basketball team. If a coach with his experience can't turn around a program in less than 3 years, I can't help but wonder why so many GHer's expected so much more from Pitino.

There is a lot of room for various degrees of success between what we have been doing and "pitching a perfect game". You don't need to pitch a perfect game to get into the top 300 teams in terms of FG%, and that would help.

We have many games to go before we get to to face the like of Rutgers: 2/26 & 3/05.
Richard can't say much right here, can he? In order to win this year (with the possible exception of Rutgers who we don't see in over a month) I'd say all the parts of our game that can go right will all have to go right at the same time.
Simple.

Context matters. This was said during his coaches show on Monday. The broader context was talking about how the man defense was much better against Indiana, but going 19-30 from the free throw line killed them. Pitino talked about the concerted effort to drive and get to the line because they are not a good offensive team, but then missing all the free throws.

I'd listen to the show if you have a chance, he continues to sound very confident about next year.

Context matters. This was said during his coaches show on Monday. The broader context was talking about how the man defense was much better against Indiana, but going 19-30 from the free throw line killed them. Pitino talked about the concerted effort to drive and get to the line because they are not a good offensive team, but then missing all the free throws. I'd listen to the show if you have a chance, he continues to sound very confident about next year.

Agreed. Mackey and Grimm don't ask crazy challenging questions and are not the most critical, but he does give pretty insightful answers and you really do gain a lot from them.

Btw - after being competitive with Indiana and then seeing them demolish Illinois - can't help but get my hopes up for Saturdays game...

Where a game is played is rather important, especially when a bad team plays a good one. Illinois played 'em in Bloomington, we played 'em at Williams. Agree though, Illinois looks doable, but I thought the same thing vs. Penn State and Northwesten.

Where a game is played is rather important, especially when a bad team plays a good one. Illinois played 'em in Bloomington, we played 'em at Williams. Agree though, Illinois looks doable, but I thought the same thing vs. Penn State and Northwesten.

We should have won this one.

If we don't beat Illinois next week we're going to be winless going into the Rutgers game. Hopefully we pitch a perfect game then.

If a coach with his experience can't turn around a program in less than 3 years, I can't help but wonder why so many GHer's expected so much more from Pitino.

He took over at a school that sucks at basketball (no postseason appearances since 2006, and no NCAA Tournament appearances since 1991) and had them sucking on about the same level until this season, which has reached perhaps unprecedented lows, even at Rutgers. Pitino took over at a school that was enjoying a modest level of success, making the postseason almost every year and the Tournament 50% of the time, and also has it achieving at an historically poor rate. The difference is that the U's basketball program was much better than Rutgers at the time the coaches took over before the 2013 season, and now they're about the same.

He took over at a school that sucks at basketball (no postseason appearances since 2006, and no NCAA Tournament appearances since 1991) and had them sucking on about the same level until this season, which has reached perhaps unprecedented lows, even at Rutgers. Pitino took over at a school that was enjoying a modest level of success, making the postseason almost every year and the Tournament 50% of the time, and also has it achieving at an historically poor rate. The difference is that the U's basketball program was much better than Rutgers at the time the coaches took over before the 2013 season, and now they're about the same.

True about RU and there will less pressure to be immediately successful. However, Minnesota had a turbulent time with the loss of some possibly good players due to NCAA ruling, transfers, graduations, et al. We have regressed toward the mean. We have returned to an unstable short time period, which I hope will be followed by stability in the long run. That is why I believe, with the development and playing time of this year's freshmen and the addition of next year's incoming freshmen, '17 will be the season of significant improvement and hopefully usher in years of stability. If not, then IMO that is the time to reevaluate coaches.

Not to mention the link below, Jordan's lack of a a degree was a bit of an embarrassment (granted, among many, mostly the AD) for Rutgers. I have a hard envisioning Jordan surviving beyond this season, even with his Rutgers degree, which he has since earned.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-co...new-rutgers-hoops-coach-eddie-jordan-graduate

Top Bottom