Rhule on Fleck/MN: "They end up winning time of possession, they make it a physical battle and they win the game in the fourth quarter."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
»Asked for his opinion of Minnesota coach PJ Fleck and his team – NU’s first opponent Aug. 31 – Rhule offered high praise.

“They play football the way Nebraska did for many years,” Rhule said. “The way we want to play it. They run the football. They don’t turn the ball over – they win the turnover battle. They’re 50% on third down. On defense, they don’t give up big plays – they stop the run – and they’re one of the best third down defenses. They end up winning time of possession, they make it a physical battle and they win the game in the fourth quarter.

“That’s the recipe to win. I respect that.”

Rhule said he considers Fleck “a friend.” Minnesota has beaten Nebraska four straight times. Fleck is 5-1 against the Huskers.

Go Gophers!!

I expect him to say this. His record as first year coach in the college ranks are pretty dismal. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again there in Nebby.

It's the truth: They win time of possession and they play physical. It has been pretty effective.

I think Brewster needs to be assistant coach. "Hey Rhule, it helps when you do a face plant on the field after a bad call. The refs love that." "I'll help you get this program to excellence."

He’s doomed. Bo Pelini got fired for winning 9 games a year because they believe they still live in the 90’s. Don’t see Rhule lasting too long once that fan base quickly turns on him.
Based on his contract, it probably doesn't matter.

I think Brewster needs to be assistant coach. "Hey Rhule, it helps when you do a face plant on the field after a bad call. The refs love that." "I'll help you get this program to excellence."
He has a job.

After the psychic trauma the NE fans suffered when the Golden Boy who returned home to lead them to the promised land of national "relevance" turned out to be a philandering incompetent boozer they may be more patient and realistic.

After the psychic trauma the NE fans suffered when the Golden Boy who returned home to lead them to the promised land of national "relevance" turned out to be a philandering incompetent boozer they may be more patient and realistic.
My son played in a basketball tournament in Omaha that Spring. The Sunday paper that weekend had an 8 page spread about Frost, with a full page advertising a book about him ($39.95, I think). He hadn't even coached a game there.

He’s doomed. Bo Pelini got fired for winning 9 games a year because they believe they still live in the 90’s. Don’t see Rhule lasting too long once that fan base quickly turns on him.
If he wins 9 regularly, compared to recent history he'll look like the second coming of Osborne

Matt Rhule is no Scott Frost. He appears to be a very competent head coach. Nebraska will be a formidable opponent in no time.

It will be interesting to see how the Gophers' Offense matches up against the new Nebraska 3-3-5 Defense. They need to develop an antidote against the disguised coverage. The same is true with the Illini disguised coverage. Coach Bielema figured out how to neutralize the Gopher Offense.

Nebraska will try to stop the run and the TOP game. This will force Athan Kaliakmanis to pass more. It can be a long day if they allow this to happen. This depends on which AK shows up for the game.

Nebraska's RBIs on paper look good. Georgia Tech QB transfer Jeff Sims is an interesting starter choice.

The Gopher Offense and Defense has a lot of figuring out to do. The same thing is true for the Huskers.

The Gopher-Husker game can quickly become a toss-up. Whichever team makes the least mistakes may come out victorious.

We have to rely on the Gophers' solid preps.

This game is critical for both programs.

Matt Rhule is no Scott Frost. He appears to be a very competent head coach. Nebraska will be a formidable opponent in no time.
I think this is correct. And I think we will get a glimpse of it (or more) on Thursday. My guess is that Nebraska will be a tough out for many years to come.

Top Bottom