Revived interest...

Reaction score
stimulated by the coaching overhaul (seems to be ongoing at the coordinator level if program progress and winning results are not forthcoming...that is, there is a real bottom line), the impressive investment in top-tier TCFBS, heavy-weight national recruiting to complement an intensive in-state effort, an aggressive NC schedule featuring some big-time programs, a big jump in talent level and depth plus hiqh-quality national BTN/ESPN-TV coverage available here in the East got me to the Syracuse game on 9/5 and now to GH.

At the Cuse Dome...which was sold-out bedlam, hot and louder than I can remember personal trips to the MD during the two Twin's WS runs...I was prepared for a 4Q meltdown. Syracuse was very amped/hungry and this was an extremely distant, difficult, hostile sold-out 50k fan environment for a first game road test. The usual GG expected late stage meltdown never happened. Contrary to previous seasons, the team actually seemed to get more poised, confident and energized as the game wound down. To their credit, they reset their 4Q lunch pails and battled through an unbelievable noise level, untimely penalties, some missed assignments and first-game snafus to OT and a win. Reading the local Minny press and related via the web, I got the sense that MN locals dismissed the importance and significance of the win. Like me, I believe that every Gopher fan in the Dome that day realized that something had changed dramatically about GG football.

For me that afternoon...even at this first game of the season...my trip did confirm that there is something quite different about this third year on Brewster's watch: the talent level is quite deep relative to previous regimes...this is a very difficult team to wear down, even by a speed team playing very "fast" and no-huddle; Gopher coaches are flexible and smart about making in-game adjustments to exploit opposition weaknesses...every college team has them, but this staff seems to be capable of analyzing/reacting under game-time pressure to expose weakness on a timely basis; the D/ST have been coached to make turn-overs happen...making their own "luck"...which can crush the morale and momentum of even the strongest opponent, and perhaps most importantly, the team did not wilt down the stretch in the 4Q and actually seemed to get stronger. Out this way in Happy Valley, Papa Joe observed "...Minnesota is very solid."

Fast forward from Cuse to today. Now 3-1, the team faces its biggest BT test to date against a dangerous and talented 4-0 rival of historic significance. With continued progress on the factors above, as well as attention to detail in preparation, focused lunch-pail discipline and solid, mistake-free game-day execution, the prospect for an "Axed" 4-1 start appear strong and realistically achievable with the Deck stacked, students jacked, "home cook'n" and the Bank rock'n. It's time to make a deposit on a new, long-overdue "Gopher Axe Run" starting Saturday with this first ever BT contest at the Bank. Like many dispersed and "revived" Gopher fans here in the East and all around this great country, I will be with you all in ESPN-spirit and look forward to many years of future GHing beginning with this first post from my distant GH.

Wecome back to the fold New England Gopher. I think you're one of many finding their long forgot Gopher Pride.

Top Bottom