Revised Projected ACC-B1G Challenge Pairings: Georgia Tech @ Gophers

Penn State @ Louisville feels like such an odd Big Ten/ACC matchup, is Louisville looking particularly bad for this upcoming season? It seems like the "big brands" from each conference usually get paired against each other, those being Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, maybe Maryland or Purdue, or a preseason top 25 Iowa or Wisconsin from the Big Ten, always playing North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, or a hyped Pitt, Virginia, or NC State from the ACC. Mid-tier Indiana teams in particular seem to get paired up with North Carolina or Duke every other year. It just feels to me like the powers that be wouldn't make a prestigious program like Louisville "soil their hands" with the likes of Penn State outside of extraordinary circumstances, like a great Penn State team or a terrible Louisville.

Penn State @ Louisville feels like such an odd Big Ten/ACC matchup, is Louisville looking particularly bad for this upcoming season? It seems like the "big brands" from each conference usually get paired against each other, those being Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, maybe Maryland or Purdue, or a preseason top 25 Iowa or Wisconsin from the Big Ten, always playing North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, or a hyped Pitt, Virginia, or NC State from the ACC. Mid-tier Indiana teams in particular seem to get paired up with North Carolina or Duke every other year. It just feels to me like the powers that be wouldn't make a prestigious program like Louisville "soil their hands" with the likes of Penn State outside of extraordinary circumstances, like a great Penn State team or a
That matchup definitely an odd one. Couldn’t find a better fit when factoring in which teams I expect to play at home & on road.

The pairings usually come out early to mid June. I’m guessing Gophers go on the road for second straight season, in part because I think they’ll have a Gavitt Games home game. Doubtful they’d get both at home, which would mean 3 Power 6 home games (also Mississippi State) in the same season.

That ain’t happenin’.

What are the odds the Gophers can avoid being regulated to ESPNU? Slim to none, I suspect. Respect must be earned.

Last edited:

That matchup definitely an odd one. Couldn’t find a better fit when factoring in which teams I expect to play at home & on road.

Interesting that you picked NC State as the sit out team. That's a currently mediocre ACC team that I don't recall us playing in recent years. Coincidentally, they had the same conference record as us last year.

Interesting that you picked NC State as the sit out team. That's a currently mediocre ACC team that I don't recall us playing in recent years. Coincidentally, they had the same conference record as us last year.
In general, I think the last place team from previous year sits. NC State finished last + they haven’t sat one out recently.

Last edited:

I feel like the gophers always play the same teams in this but I guess when I look back the gophers have played 9/15 current ACC team plus a 10th former ACC team:
Have played:
Clemson
Boston college
Virginia
Georgia tech
Virginia tech
Florida state
Wake forest
Miami
Pitt
*maryland*

Haven’t played