Reusse: Taylor Krapf was a Tranfer Portal Win

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Taylor Krapf was a freshman at Hagerty High School in her hometown of Oviedo, Fla., when she made a verbal commitment to play softball for Duke.

This was during the 2017-18 school year, before the NCAA made a change in April 2018, seriously limiting the outreach by softball coaches prior to the summer before a recruit's junior year in high school.

"I think that was a good rule change," Krapf said. "When you're a freshman, you're excited to be recruited by a school with a great reputation. It's too early and you're too immature to understand if it's going to be the best situation for you."

Thus, while fans of college sports have a tendency to lament the NCAA's transfer portal when it allows talented athletes suddenly to leave their favorite teams, the true bottom line is what it can mean for athletes such as Taylor Krapf.

"Entering the transfer portal was best for my mental state," Krapf said. "I was looking for a better environment — not for everyone but for me. I was looking for an opportunity that I didn't feel like I got at Duke."

Top Bottom