Reusse: P.J. Fleck's sustained success with Gophers separates him from Lou Holtz's legacy

As I read it, the key point of Reusse's column was this:

some people have tried to compare Fleck to Brewster, because both coaches had very outgoing public personas.

Reusse is saying Fleck is NOT like Brewster, because Brewster was all talk, while Fleck can actually coach.

Instead, Reusse is saying that Fleck has more in common with Holtz - because both were good talkers, and Holtz also showed an ability to win games.

from there, the comparison becomes hypothetical. We don't know what Holtz might have done if he had stayed at MN, but Holtz did win a National Championship at ND. We will get to see what Fleck does during his tenure at MN - however long that lasts.

SON, the Strib should just hire you to be the Reusse interpreter and place it at the end of every column.

What? You are comparing a coach that won a national title to a coach that won 3 s%%t bowls and every year looses to a Bowling Green team?
Your favorite quarterback has no chance of getting a transfer offer from Fleck with an attitude like this.

Last edited:

In 1988 hadn’t the big ten been the big 2 for about 20-30 years? Holtz was a great choice for mn.

If Fleck was coaching me, I would not be able to take the persona, schtick or whatever you want to call it.

However, as a Gopher fan I do buy in that he's sincere about it and truly believes in his methodology as the way to reach success. Most importantly the guys he's coaching buy it. In that respect, sure I will row the boat. Whatever works.
I get his persona doesn’t appeal to everyone. I just don’t see how it is self promoting.

Your favorite quarterback has no chance of getting a transfer offer from Fleck with an attitude this.
The QB that couldn't even get into the top 3 of QBs at St Thomas?

I get his persona doesn’t appeal to everyone. I just don’t see how it is self promoting.
I think it's stuff like Fleck indicating (more than a dozen times) that it was "Culture" over "Talent" in the Nebraska postgame presser that comes off as self promotion.

As a Gopher fan, I only cared what the scoreboard said. Job done. Fleck always sends me a nice email when I renew my season tix. Good egg.

Maybe Ohio state writers should compare everyone to Wes Fesler leaving.
Maybe Michigan writers should talk about Fielding Yost in columns 3 times a year.

half the fan base wasn’t alive when Lou Holtz was a gopher coach.

ignoring history and not hyper focusing on a blip in history are two different things
I wish half the fan base was under 36...

I think it's stuff like Fleck indicating (more than a dozen times) that it was "Culture" over "Talent" in the Nebraska postgame presser that comes off as self promotion.

As a Gopher fan, I only cared what the scoreboard said. Job done. Fleck always sends me a nice email when I renew my season tix. Good egg.

Fleck's "Culture" comments after the Nebraska game had nothing to do with self-promotion and everything to do with payback for this shot Frost took at Fleck before the game:

Fleck's "Culture" comments after the Nebraska game had nothing to do with self-promotion and everything to do with payback for this shot Frost took at Fleck before the game:
The comments could be both a retort to Frost as well as self-promotion. I would have gone with just "Scoreboard", but that's just me.

Yeah. He should promote his program over frosts though. Literally his job.

Almost free tickets to the game? OK.
Sorry I count fans who show up as the fan base

my bad

Well in 20 years when everyone else is dead those currently under 40 will be the entire fan base.

Top Bottom