Reusse: Misfits Rutgers, Maryland are so wrong for the Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

Penn State brought a geographical challenge but also football pizazz to the Big Ten when it arrived in 1993. Nebraska was a fantastic addition in 2011 with its tremendous all-around sports program (men’s basketball being the exception).

Maryland and Rutgers? We don’t care about Maryland, it doesn’t care about us, and nobody cares about Rutgers.

The Gophers have a better rivalry with the University of Pacific (1-1) than Maryland and Rutgers combined, and Pacific officially stopped playing football in 1995. Meanwhile, Rutgers officially stopped playing football last Saturday, when it compiled 39 yards in a 78-0 loss to Michigan.

You wanted expansion in the Big Ten? Commissioner Jim Delany should have waited for Texas to tire of the doomed Big 12, rather than add two non-entities on the East Coast.

The Big Ten probably will wind up with Texas and a partner in the next five years, but that will just make Maryland and Rutgers more cumbersome and meaningless on the conference map.

http://www.startribune.com/rutgers-maryland-so-wrong-for-big-ten/397160601/

Go Gophers!!

From what was posted I agree with his take especially the part about last Saturday when Rutgers ceased playing football.

I think Pat needs to look at NCAAF in the context of the WWE - you need some solid mid-card talent and some jobbers to build up the top talent. Remember when OSU jumped TCU into the play-offs based on beating the Gophers (among others) - that is what the solid midcard does and that is the role Maryland will play for football while actually providing a better than average BB program. Rutgers takes the place of the jobber but one could argue it is the only meaningful college football program in the NYC market (how many hipsters and beta-male NYC types watch NCAAF is debatable). The league is strengthened by bringing in midcard and jobbers - especially when the number of conference games increase.

As for Texas - it will be hard to find a partner school with a focus on both sports and academics that also makes sense for marketing purposes - maybe Pitt could fit that slot and lock up a lot of the NE for the conference. I think most will say Oklahoma - but I think they go SEC and academically they don't fit.

Ruesse realizes this was purely a money grab and has nothing to do with on field or on court performance right?

In addition to an eastern footprint, the BIG brought in Maryland, Rutgers, and Johns Hopkins with an eye towards lacrosse, obviously.

Rutgers and Maryland addition is all about the East coast TV market, maybe a little about Bball, and probably a little about providing some yearly fodder for grooming the East division champ (OSU or Mich).

Isn't he at least 5 years too late with article. It's done there is no going back so why b---h about it now.
This was all about tv markets and a money grab. We are getting more cash because of them. Now we need to put it to work.
Do we really need more teams (Texas) that are already better than us in the conference?
They being extra money and suck at football. How is this not a win/win for us.
Side note both Rutgers and Maryland are doing a good job of recruiting this season.

Ruesse realizes this was purely a money grab and has nothing to do with on field or on court performance right?

Intellectual dishonesty is his thing, and frankly the m.o. for most low effort media trolls.... it's just their thing.

Maturi made some off beat comment on the Sports Huddle when this was occurring and said it would expand our recruiting , especially for football. I believe we've 1 kid in the roster, Winston
D. from the Northeast. It did certainly help Rutgers and Maryland recruiting with B1G status on board. I wanted to see Iowa State and Missouri added, both short road trips.

Top Bottom