Reusse: If U's pattern prevails, Gophers are due to hire football salesman

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

Stoll (salesman), Salem (coach), Holtz (salesman), Gutekunst (coach), Wacker (salesman), Mason (coach), Brewster (salesman), Kill/Claeys (coaches).

Admittedly, Holtz was a terrific coach, and Kill had salesmanship with his country cornpone, but there is a well-established order with Gophers football coaches:

No matter the school officials involved, they always hire the opposite.

And you’re not going to find anyone more opposite to Claeys than Fleck. Phillip John is so over the top that he might leave Brewster speechless in a duel of promises.

Assuming it’s him, hopefully Fleck can coach at a Big Ten level and keep his promises, unlike Coach Brew after his slogan-filled start a decade ago.

Otherwise, Row the Boat will turn into Get a Pail.

http://www.startribune.com/if-u-s-p...-are-due-to-hire-football-salesman/409722605/

Go Gophers!!

pretty spot on. Problem is very very rare that a salesman can coach. Holtz an exception.

pretty spot on. Problem is very very rare that a salesman can coach. Holtz an exception.

Depends on your definition of salesmen.

Imo
Saban is sales
Urban Meyer is sales
Hebaugh is sales
Fitz is sales
Alvarez was sales
Tiller was sales

Being a salesman and being a football coach are not mutually exclusive. They probably have a positive correlation.

I think Pat's analysis is overly simplistic. I think Country Jer did lot of salesmanship. He just did it in a different way.

Fleck just took his team to the Cotton Bowl and lost to Bucky by 8 for a 13-1 season. He definitely has a good deal of salesman in him, but c'mon, the guy can coach football. As Some guy wisely noted above, sales and coaching aren't mutually exclusive.

Depends on your definition of salesmen.

Imo
Saban is sales
Urban Meyer is sales
Hebaugh is sales
Fitz is sales
Alvarez was sales
Tiller was sales

Being a salesman and being a football coach are not mutually exclusive. They probably have a positive correlation.

Salesmen have different styles. Kill could coach, but he had his salesman schtick as well. Whomever we get, I just hope they can put a decent product on the field and run a program that is truly part of the university as opposed to being an entity unto itself. I am so sick of the "us v. them" attitude that pits the football team against the rest of the U community and vice-versa. Everyone is in this together.

Top Bottom