Reusse: Gophers hoops will be better? Sure, it can't get much worse

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

Pitino hasn’t stopped using youth as an excuse since … handing out great big spoons full of that after losses and undoubtedly snickering to himself as we slurp the pablum.

When the Gophers held off vaunted Louisiana-Monroe early in the season, Pitino said: “When it was time to respond, we responded well. We would have never done that last year. … Certainly, it’s very, very early, but I liked what I saw.”

And when the Gophers lost to Oklahoma State 62-60 in Sioux Falls on Dec. 12, Pitino said: “We’re going to be a good team. I don’t know when that’s going to be, hopefully sooner than later, but we’re going to be good team if we compete the way we did tonight.”

Two months later, what Pitino has offered is the basketball equivalent of Joe Salem’s 1983 football disaster, and still we pablum-slurpers are saying:

“Don’t worry about it. The Gophers will be quite a bit better next season.”

Quite a bit better than the worst in 110 years? Now that excites the bejeebers out of me.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-hoops-will-be-better-sure-it-can-t-get-much-worse/368680471/

Go Gophers!!

Reusse wins just for invoking the Joe Salem parallel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Town team baseball starts in about 3 months, so we can look forward to Reusse writing something that isn't negative by then.

The players on this team will get the dubious honor of telling their children about how they set the Gophers all-time worst B1G record for Gopher hoops. That must count for something!

Town team baseball starts in about 3 months, so we can look forward to Reusse writing something that isn't negative by then.

We've lost 16 of the last 17 games...including games to Wisconsin-Milwaukee, South Dakota, South Dakota State and twice to Northwestern by a combined 49 points (the Northwestern games weren't even that close....as we closed the gap at the end of both games). You honestly think the press has been too negative? Personally, i think they have been pretty gentle on the program and Pitino....my fear is it's because Gopher basketball is starting to become irrelevant to a lot of people.

We've lost 16 of the last 17 games...including games to Wisconsin-Milwaukee, South Dakota, South Dakota State and twice to Northwestern by a combined 49 points (the Northwestern games weren't even that close....as we closed the gap at the end of both games). You honestly think the press has been too negative? Personally, i think they have been pretty gentle on the program and Pitino....my fear is it's because Gopher basketball is starting to become irrelevant to a lot of people.

Agreed. Most everyone has been pretty gentle considering the crap we've been watching for the past couple of months. I think apathy has set in with most folks in the media and among the fans and I would be very worried about that if I were the university.

Pitino is getting paid 7 figures for this cluster eff, if anybody ever deserved to get fired this is it, no one can pile it on to hard for the wonderful job he has done in his three years here.

If we had.a permanent AD he would be gone at seasons end. Williams Arena will be a parking lot for the remaining home games.with maybe the exception being Wisconsin. I've followed Gopher basketball since the Hudson,Clark, Yates years and this is the worst I've ever seen it.

Not quite as old but yeah worse I have ever seen it. Program has never been so low. I offered my Rutgers tickets at work and only response I got was if I would pay for parking. But we have a good recruiting class that may be good in 2 more years. Worse hire of my lifetime Brewster included.

If we had.a permanent AD he would be gone at seasons end. Williams Arena will be a parking lot for the remaining home games.with maybe the exception being Wisconsin. I've followed Gopher basketball since the Hudson,Clark, Yates years and this is the worst I've ever seen it.

Can't disagree with him, it's really bad. The scary thing is this is one of the weaker years for the B1G in my lifetime. The rankings don't show it (except for conference RPI which has the B1G at 5th or 6th), but Michigan has a winning conference record playing without their star, Indiana lost a major piece and still has a shot at the conference title, Illinois was decimated by injuries, MSU played several conference games without their best player, Ohio State is down, Bo retired abruptly, etc, etc. It's a bad year for college basketball all around, yet the Gophers still stand out as a really bad program.

Like a parking lot?? You'll have to explain that one to me.

It is still wild to me Pitino could have the program records for wins in a season and losses in a season in 3 years.

Agreed. Most everyone has been pretty gentle considering the crap we've been watching for the past couple of months. I think apathy has set in with most folks in the media and among the fans and I would be very worried about that if I were the university.

I think you are right. Most Gopher basketball fans now are either pretty angry or resigning themselves to the utter futility of the current season. For the latter group, they've fallen into a mixture of melancholy and indifference. What's the point of complaining about such a hopeless case? Reading these pages, Reusse may be somewhat correct. There does seem to be unduly optimistic minority that still retains a strong faith that Pitino's team next year will be upgraded to a tournament bubble team. I have my doubts that historical evidence is on their side.

Lil Ricky. Lol!

He created this mess through poor recruiting in his first two years. He learned his lesson on the job. He should be fired for having to learn that lesson as we suffer through it this season.

It is still wild to me Pitino could have the program records for wins in a season and losses in a season in 3 years.

That is such a meaningless statistic....there have been AT LEAST 15 teams better than the one Pitino had his first year here in the last 40 years. They had the most wins....which has nothing to do with how good of a team they were....plus you had to vacate a lot of wins in the 90's to come up with that stat.

That is such a meaningless statistic....there have been AT LEAST 15 teams better than the one Pitino had his first year here in the last 40 years. They had the most wins....which has nothing to do with how good of a team they were....plus you had to vacate a lot of wins in the 90's to come up with that stat.

Oh absolutely. I didn't mean to imply Pitino will have the absolute best and absolute worst seasons. Just that it is a little weird to have the record for both.

I think this situation absolutely requires a stupid and futile gesture be done on somebody's part.

Lil Ricky. Lol!

He created this mess through poor recruiting in his first two years. He learned his lesson on the job. He should be fired for having to learn that lesson as we suffer through it this season.
I would just like to point out that this is not me.

Like a parking lot?? You'll have to explain that one to me.

There are four times as many parking places in the United States as there are cars. I think it has something to do with that.

To echo Reusse, right now a 6-12 record would look pretty good, but we fired the last coach for having too many of them. (Not saying it was a bad firing, mind you.) Sort of like the Timberwolves, who used to win 50-55 games in a season and lose in the first round of the playoffs, and the fans got sick of the stagnation. Nowadays, a good Wolves fan would give their left nut just to appear in the postseason.

Lil Ricky. Lol!

Always look in the rear view mirror and blame somebody. Spoken like a true attorney.

Top Bottom